Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is the BBC website down?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is the BBC website down?

Old 02-02-2011, 20:52   #91
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice
Re: Is the BBC website down?

OH has just changed his proxy/dns settings on Safari and has the Beeb back
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2011, 20:59   #92
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
OH has just changed his proxy/dns settings on Safari and has the Beeb back
If a site is up that normally solves it and you would be advised to do exactly that if you rang up.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 00:34   #93
Woody93
Inactive

Woody93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rang Virgin and their solution was to use webcache.virginmedia.com (port:8080) as a proxy. This sounds like a bit of bodge job to me and now I've started getting a 'cannot connect to proxy server' error message every now and again
Woody93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01   #94
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody93 View Post
Rang Virgin and their solution was to use webcache.virginmedia.com (port:8080) as a proxy. This sounds like a bit of bodge job to me and now I've started getting a 'cannot connect to proxy server' error message every now and again
It is the same proxy that I posted above and not a bodge job, you can try the google version or even Open DNS.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42   #95
Gawdluvvaduck
Inactive

Gawdluvvaduck is an unknown quantity at this point

The BBC website has not worked for several days here at Watton At Stone, I seem to be able to get a page but it is several days old.
Gawdluvvaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:20   #96
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Have you tried any of the solutions mentioned in this thread, Glad?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 13:50   #97
hemelvirgin
Inactive

Services: tivo & V+HD stb's. BB XL 60 MB ,Tv M+ & VM phone unlimited & VM blackberry contract
hemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: Is the BBC website down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
It is the same proxy that I posted above and not a bodge job, you can try the google version or even Open DNS.
i can't still reach bbc.co.uk dns error.

will ring vm 150.

i am not altering any dns settings on all 4 of my machines @ home.

why should vm customers sort out vm existing n/work problems ?
hemelvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 13:54   #98
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelvirgin View Post

will ring vm 150.

I have only heard of this issue in this thread as no one has called in and spoken to me and nor do we have it listed as a fault.

The will a routing issue somewhere that is affecting you as I can get it on all 7 browsers on my computer.

They will check the connection is working and make out a report but as for it being fixed as an individual fault I very much doubt it as sooner or later the routing will fix itself.

They will advise you to add a proxy to your machines.
Old 03-02-2011, 14:56   #99
hemelvirgin
Inactive

Services: tivo & V+HD stb's. BB XL 60 MB ,Tv M+ & VM phone unlimited & VM blackberry contract
hemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the roughhemelvirgin is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Is the BBC website down?

Quote:
I have only heard of this issue in this thread as no one has called in and spoken to me and nor do we have it listed as a fault.

The will a routing issue somewhere that is affecting you as I can get it on all 7 browsers on my computer.

They will check the connection is working and make out a report but as for it being fixed as an individual fault I very much doubt it as sooner or later the routing will fix itself.

They will advise you to add a proxy to your machines.
hi,

final straw !
i have been using a web based traing site www.activ-training.co.uk/training over the last week which has cost me nearly £200,now today getting dns errors.
RANG 150 told them bbc & url above not working.
had to enter webcache.virginmediacom & port 8080 into my ie connection settings under the LAN tab.

ALL OK NOW...............

the end
hemelvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 17:08   #100
dave t
Inactive

dave t is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Check the Virgin Media forums then. Plenty of threads on it there. The engineer that just visited me to sort out an unrelated problem said he was aware of the DNS problem.

It is a DNS fault. nslookup will NOT work from a machine using VMs DNS. We've had to add Google or another 3rd party DNS to work around it.

The thing is, we shouldn't have to. This is a fault, and as far as we can see so far, it is national, and not down to local routing problems.
dave t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 17:14   #101
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave t View Post
Check the Virgin Media forums then. Plenty of threads on it there. The engineer that just visited me to sort out an unrelated problem said he was aware of the DNS problem.

It is a DNS fault. nslookup will NOT work from a machine using VMs DNS. We've had to add Google or another 3rd party DNS to work around it.

The thing is, we shouldn't have to. This is a fault, and as far as we can see so far, it is national, and not down to local routing problems.
As I said it works fine in Liverpool on 7 browsers and if you really need to see the site then you would use a proxy, it happens which is why proxies exist to reroute you.
Old 03-02-2011, 19:40   #102
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Try this site http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

If it comes back that it is up and you cannot see it then it will be a routing issue which could be anywhere on the network.

As I said above I have tried to access the BBC using 7 different browsers without any issue.

If it is a routing issue then setting a proxy may work as a temporary fix.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proxy for IE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The proxy goes in your browser.

The proxy to use is : webcache.virginmedia.com

The port number is : 8080

How to set up proxy in Internet Explorer 6/7
...snippety snip snip
Quote:

will ring vm 150.

Quote:
hi,

final straw !
i have been using a web based traing site www.activ-training.co.uk/training over the last week which has cost me nearly £200,now today getting dns errors.
had to enter webcache.virginmediacom & port 8080 into my ie connection settings under the LAN tab.

the end
So, the solution was that given by the VM employee over the phone was the same as that given by Masque (twice) - once 7 posts above your original post, and then again linked to directly above your post at 15:07 yesterday?

It seems strange (to me) that you object to taking advice from a VM employee (and others) on this thread that would have fixed your problem immediately (as it did when the VM'er on the phone told you it), and that you wouldn't click-thru 5 times, enter approx 25 characters, and then click-thru twice more on each PC, but are willing to post nearly 10 times in a 36 hour period to complain about it.

I understand your frustration at the url not working, but a quicker resolution was in your grasp, and you refused to take it.

Glad it was resolved in the end, though.
Old 03-02-2011, 20:06   #103
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I think he's upset because it's a workaround, not a solution. Having to set all your computers to use a proxy, repeatedly check when things are working again, and then turning off the proxy isn't a trivial thing for most non-technical customers to do. It neither solves the DNS problem nor alerts the right people to the fault. The user is still left with a degraded service.

Add to that the fact that many services and devices don't work through a proxy (Android phones are incapable of using the proxy, and therefore can't use this workaround), and you can see why having to use a proxy to access major sites is clearly not ideal.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 20:12   #104
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
hi,

final straw !

the end
You did exactly as I would have told you on the phone and strangely enough it worked, you ignored my advice above even though others had accepted it above because it worked.
Old 03-02-2011, 21:56   #105
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I think he's upset because it's a workaround, not a solution. Having to set all your computers to use a proxy, repeatedly check when things are working again, and then turning off the proxy isn't a trivial thing for most non-technical customers to do. It neither solves the DNS problem nor alerts the right people to the fault. The user is still left with a degraded service.

Add to that the fact that many services and devices don't work through a proxy (Android phones are incapable of using the proxy, and therefore can't use this workaround), and you can see why having to use a proxy to access major sites is clearly not ideal.
Agreed - but a workaround was available, and he wouldn't even try it, even with a walkthrough guide.

If I had paid £200 to access a site, and couldn't do it, I would be very annoyed, but I would try stuff to make it work, not just blame the supplier.