Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

Old 09-03-2006, 20:56   #16
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: [Merged] NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

And this post is via the new Wi Fi laptop, One happy bunny.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

One last question Chris, then I will leave you alone ( for now)

Would you advise setting encryption on. ?
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2006, 21:09   #17
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Oh yes...!

Unless you fancy providing free internet access to your neighbours or anyone who wanders past your house with a wireless enabled device get the security set up

WPA is best, but WEP is perfectly adequate.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 22:33   #18
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Thanks again Chris, this router supports both so I will get to work on it.
Old 09-03-2006, 22:39   #19
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

It's really easy to do Jim, I got round to setting mine the other night and took me all of two minutes

Only had the router for two years so god knows who's been getting free access all this time
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 22:51   #20
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Well there you go, you have been allowing all the locals free access to your 'connections' and I thought that you were a good girl.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:32   #21
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

I thought it was to good to last. Working fine last night, came to boot up the PC this morning and once again it froze on boot up. Tried the laptop and it has a perfect wireless connection.

I think the problem is caused by a couple of programs that 'phone home' on boot up, ZA Pro in particular. If I disconnect the ethernet cable between the PC & router, the PC boots OK, if I then plug the cable back in I have a 'live' connection.
I have had a quick look at ZA Pro settings and have added all the DCHP/DNS/ etc relating to the router to the trusted zone to no avail.
If as I understand the router includes a firewall, is it safe to get rid of Zone Alarm? ( that is easier said than done as well)

May need to have a look at the ZA forums.
Old 11-03-2006, 19:18   #22
jonjenner
Inactive

jonjenner is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: NTL Set top box + D-Link DI-524 Router help needed please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
Have you tried:-
1) Power off computer, router and STB.
2) Connect ethernet cable from router WAN port to STB. (From a quick Google, the WAN port on that router is auto, so should not matter whether you have a cross-over or not).
3) Connect ethernet cable from LAN port on router to computer.
4) Power on STB. Wait for lights to settle.
5) Power on router. Wait for lights to settle.
6) Power on computer.
jonjenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 20:05   #23
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Just to update this problem. It is a very strange one to be sure. I have now discovered when the fault occurs.
Now that the router is registered with Ntl, if I go through the full router setup procedure it works fine, I can reboot my PC using Start/Turn off computer/Restart without any problem. The freezing on boot up only occurs after the PC has been shut down completely. Have updated the router firmware and am going to check for latest network card drivers. For the moment I can get it to work fine if I remove the router to PC ethernet cable, boot the PC then plug the cable back into the router.

Did notice that the System Event Viewer is showing lots of DCOM errors.
Old 11-03-2006, 21:58   #24
jonjenner
Inactive

jonjenner is an unknown quantity at this point

tryed the above still no luck think i will bye another router any ideas on a make that will work?
jonjenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:37   #25
devalr
Inactive

devalr is an unknown quantity at this point

I got over my set up problem by configuring the Wiireless Router as an Access Point. Originally I intentended replacing a Wired Belkin Router with the D-Link but ended up using both. The solution works fine and I've ended up with what I set out to achieve, a stable, secure wireless network with good signal strength. Roger.
devalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 18:47   #26
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Well, after spending many frustrating hours , I think i have finally sorted it. After asking a question on the ZA forums I was advised to try disabling the 'Load on startup' setting in ZA Pro. I did this and the PC booted perfectly. more or less confirming my suspicions that a conflict between the router and ZA Pro was at the root of my problems. One of the ZA forum guru's was very surprised by this and had never encountered it before.

The strange thing was that even though ZA was not loaded and the PC booted up OK, when I checked Control Panel/Security Center, it reported that ZA Pro was running even though a check via Task Manager showed no sign of the various components of ZA.

I downloaded a fresh copy of ZA Pro, uninstalled the old copy and reinstalled.
The PC is now booting perfectly, all Start up programs including ZA Pro load without a hitch.

ATM the fresh install has all my original program settings in situ but the only things in the Firewall Trusted Zone are 'New Network' & 'Loop back Adapter'
Old 11-08-2007, 15:46   #27
acestu
Inactive

acestu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

I am having a similar problem to this wondered if you would take a look cheers

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/foru...ead.php?t=8182

Thankz In Advance
Acestu
acestu is offline   Reply With Quote