Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ signal quality through a distribution amplifier

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky+ signal quality through a distribution amplifier

Old 25-04-2008, 11:57   #1
Cable calamity
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband
Cable calamity is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky+ signal quality through a distribution amplifier

Hi,

I have a Sky+ 160 STB with an Global Communications F140 distribution amplifier connected to it from the RF2 output; this sends the signal into 3 other rooms (I don't use the 4th output from the amplifier). Since it was installed about 18 months ago the signal quality in the 3 rooms receiving the signal has never been fantastic as the signal from the TV local transmitter is very strong as I live quite near it. With this in mind I decided to buy a variable attenuator, but I haven’t fitted it yet because I have found that if any of the cabling is moved the picture quality is affected. Now this may seem a really dumb question but is this right? Or could there be a problem with the cabling? I didn't think they would be so sensitive. All the connectors are "F" type, which I thought was the best.

The room that the Sky+ box is in has recently been redecorated and I found that if the cables were just brushed against the picture quality would be affected in the other rooms quite dramatically, but the funny thing is some would be worse than others. Today I have found that the TV in my study that receives a signal from the distribution amplifier has a lousy picture and the magic eye won't work, but the signal in the kitchen is pretty good and the magic eye works.

Also, has anyone ever connected a variable attenuator to a Sky+ box? Was it simple and was it a success?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

- Cable calamity
Cable calamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement