Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV offer?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Smart Card needed or not!

Old 18-01-2008, 16:18   #1
3dmad
Inactive

3dmad is an unknown quantity at this point
Smart Card needed or not!

I've just switched over from an old ntl box to a new virgin vbox and have never needed a smart card before. All i want is the freeview chanels, so do I need one now?

TIA
3dmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2008, 16:25   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Smart Card needed or not!

There are no freeview channels carried on Virgin Media. It's a subscription system only, so yes any STB needs a smart card. You shouldn't have switched boxes unless they are being supplied by VM as part of your subscription.

You may be thinking of the analogue terrestrial cahnnels BBC, ITV, CH4 & five. That is due to be phased out but in the meantime, if you are very careful and in an enabled area you can plug your TV aerial in direct to the cable feed, but beware you don't mess up your own or your neighbours feed with interference.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 16:26   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Could you clarify which Virgin TV service you have paid for. The Vbox is for Virgin Media subscribers only and to my knowledge it will not act as a stand alone Freeveiw receiver.

Edit...I never realised that a cable box could have been used without a card.
Old 18-01-2008, 16:34   #4
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I just tried this on my box, and although I got a warning about hte card being removed I could still access the 'freeview' channels.

You should, however, have got a card with your box, where did you get it from? You should call virgin and ask them for the card that is paired to the box.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Could you clarify which Virgin TV service you have paid for. The Vbox is for Virgin Media subscribers only and to my knowledge it will not act as a stand alone Freeveiw receiver.

Edit...I never realised that a cable box could have been used without a card.
Well it worked, but it would irritate the smeg out of me personally, it informs you about the lack of card each time you change the channel and you have to press ok to get rid of the dialog box. But even on virgins most basic level tv package you should, as far as i'm aware at least, get a smart card with the box. And I also think it has to be a specific card too. ie one card is paired to a specific box.

Still the techy people can correct me on that one.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 16:37   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Some of the old Pace boxes had a smartcard hidden behind a flap on the front

The V+ has it in the back. so on either it may not look like you have a card

The OP sounds like he has been swapped out for a Samsung so you can see the card in the front of that box

Virgin are proactively swapping out the oldest boxes this year.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 17:12   #6
3dmad
Inactive

thank you all for your replys.

BenMcr i did finally find the old smart card (Man don't i feel like a dumb ass). My new vbox only has 1 slot which is in the front, but after putting the card in and turning it on i still can't get the vbox out of standby mode.

If you don't have a smart card in the vbox shouldn't u still get some kind of message on the screen telling you that?? I mean without a card does the box just stay in standby mode with no message?

I realize that I may have to do some pairing of the smart card with the vbox, but it would be helpful to know that the vbox is functioning correctly before i spend the next 3 hour on the phone trying to get them to do it.
Old 18-01-2008, 17:16   #7
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

You need to use the card that goes with the new box. The old card will be paired to the old box. They are NOT transferable.

And I already answered your other questions in my previous post.
Old 18-01-2008, 17:30   #8
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
You need to use the card that goes with the new box. The old card will be paired to the old box. They are NOT transferable.
This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. My Pace STB smart card worked in the Samsung STB after Virgin Media activated the STB their end - they took the Smart card number and voila.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 17:31   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Well as he has the right smart card (just found it by the looks of) he should now be ok I hope
Old 18-01-2008, 17:32   #10
3dmad
Inactive

OK i understand about the pairing thing, but going on you previous post it would appear that my vbox is faulty coz i don't get any info or picture when the smart card is out or out. Can u please confirm for me that you have the vbox samsung and it only has 1 slot in the front.

Thx you and i'm sorry for not reading your previous post properly but this seemly simply task is doing my head in
Old 18-01-2008, 17:35   #11
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

On my box - which is a small samsung one. It does work without the card in it, it comes up with a box saying you need to put the card back in and press ok tho.

But here's the thing, maybe you need to activate the box via a phone call to virgin.

If you're having this much trouble I think I'd bite the bullet and give them a call.
Old 18-01-2008, 17:48   #12
3dmad
Inactive

i have actually called them a few times. First time i called they had no record of a new box being sent out to me on my account even though it had just arrived that morning.

Second time they said leave it on for a few hours or so to give it time to bootup. So I left it for 24 hours and no luck.

When i asked if they needed the serial number off my old box and the new one they said NO, even though in the manual it says to have these details ready before you phone.

As i'm getting no information on the screen and the vbox just stays in standby mode i really think this must be a faulty box.

I will try and ring them again tomorrow.

Thank you Jefferson T and everyone else for your help.
Old 18-01-2008, 17:50   #13
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

If you get no joy after you've called them again tomorrow PM a member of the teamwith yout account details and we'll see if we can escalate your problem for you
Old 18-01-2008, 19:54   #14
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a green light flashing inside the box? (you will be able to see it through the vents on the top)

If there is then it means the box is dead and will need replacing, this happened to my samsung box a few weeks ago, it was constantly rebooting then went into standby and wouldnt come out of it.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote