Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PS3 Slim officially announced and pricing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PS3 Slim officially announced and pricing

Old 22-08-2009, 15:36   #31
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: PS3 Slim officially announced and pricing

The new PS3 Slim has some improved audio options.

Quote:
Officially PS3 slim will have bitstreaming capability to your AV Reciever. For those who don't know what this means I'll explain. This means that PS3 now has passthrough capability for HD audio from Blu-ray discs. This is huge because now if you have a higher end AVR unit, PS3 will pass the HD signal untouched and let your AVR decode and you will see the TrueHD, DTS-MA etc light up on your receiver.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...pic=814586&hl=
Old 22-08-2009, 15:41   #32
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I wonder if that's a FW3 feature, rather than specific to the Slim. Can't see why only the Slim could do it.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 16:00   #33
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Seems to be some confusion of whether it can or not. Some sites are saying the Slim has a new HDMI chip which allows it

As an aside there also seems to be HDMI CEC control coming 'BraviaSync' (your TV turns on and to the right input when you turn your PS3 on, PS3 turns off when you turn off the TV etc) but again dunno if thats a slim only thing or not
Old 22-08-2009, 16:17   #34
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Don't think it'd need a new HDMI chip though, the PS3 has always been HDMI v1.3.

HDMI 1.3 added support for Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreams, so you'd think the PS3 should be able to do it... it's just that for some reason the PS3 itself has never previously been able to : it can only (at the moment?) internally decode them & output as multi-channel LPCM.
Old 22-08-2009, 16:26   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Guess we will have to wait until the 1st and see what happens.

The CEC is what I want though - my PS3 isn't plugged into a A/V reciever
Old 22-08-2009, 23:06   #36
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I would have bought a PC3, but as Sony cannot be bother to release a BC PS3 to the UK market (other than very very Ltd Ed models that where like roking horse poo to get hold of, plus they cost a small fortune), I couldn't be bother to buy one, and gave my cash to Microsoft instead, I haven't regreted it.
Old 24-08-2009, 11:14   #37
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Shopto.net have this priced at £229.99 for anyone who maybe thinking of purchasing it.

The current 80gb PS3 is also to be reduced in price to £249.99 from August 19th.

Quote:
With the introduction of the new PS3 system, SCEI will also reduce the price of the current PS3 with 80GB HDD to a RRP of £249.99 from August 19.
http://uk.playstation.com/games-medi...1-en_GB-110602
Old 24-08-2009, 11:26   #38
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I would have bought a PC3, but as Sony cannot be bother to release a BC PS3 to the UK market (other than very very Ltd Ed models that where like roking horse poo to get hold of, plus they cost a small fortune), I couldn't be bother to buy one, and gave my cash to Microsoft instead, I haven't regreted it.
I'm trying to get my head around why everyone wants it to play PS2 games? its a PS3 the next gen!!!!!! Why spend all that money just to play PS2 games? If you want to play PS2 games go to ebay and pick a PS2 for about £20!!
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 16:54   #39
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
I'm trying to get my head around why everyone wants it to play PS2 games? its a PS3 the next gen!!!!!! Why spend all that money just to play PS2 games? If you want to play PS2 games go to ebay and pick a PS2 for about £20!!
Because as you have said there are MUGs on ebay that will pay stupid prices for stuff. with BC PS3 they can sell there PS2 it an over inflated price to the MUGs, but then still have there PS2 back catalogue playable on PS3. and not pay out again for FF7, MGS, Tekken Via PSN downloads. The fact that 60GB versions are going UP in price as the sellers think you are the same as the MUG you sold your PS2 Too, has screwed up there wonderfull world.

The UK 160GB model was a limited edition but there were bucket loads in the UK. If you wanted one YOU could have got one then. The US version was still selling last week.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 17:04   #40
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

I bought the 60GB model but not because of the BC but because that was the first out in the UK. To date since the PS3 launch I've played 1 PS2 game on it and that was one of the older Tomb Raider games because it was not comming out on PS3.

To sum up I wouldn't be bothered if the PS3 had not had BC in the first place and its not the sales driver its being made out it could of been imo. PS2's are so cheap now anyway and I would of just kept my PS2 slim had I wanted to play more PS2 games.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 19:38   #41
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
Because people with a large collection of PS2 games may want the ability to still play them after upgrading to a PS3?

As for me... I don't have any PS2 games, but if I did have a PS2 BC PS3, I'd love to be able play God of War I & II, along with Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.
Old 24-08-2009, 19:40   #42
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
As for me... I don't have any PS2 games, but if I did have a PS2 BC PS3, I'd love to be able play God of War I & II, along with Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.
If only you had time.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 13:38   #43
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Never could follow that logic. "The PS3 won't play PS2 games, so I bought a 360." Riiiight... because the 360 is so good at playing PS2 games...

I've got a launch 60Gb with all the bells and whistles, but I traded in my PS2 and all the games a week later... as good as they were, I just couldn't go back to them. I played exactly one PS2 game on my PS3, and that was Tomb Raider Anniversary. If I was that interested in playing my old games, I'd have kept the PS2, or bought another one... it's not like it's an expensive system now.

I don't understand this "360 has the bigger library" argument either. Yes, it has games from before the PS3 was launched, but from that point on, the libraries are basically the same. All major 3rd-party titles get released on both platforms, unless MS buy exclusivity.

I've nothing against the 360 as a system (I play on a friend's occasionally), but it holds no real attraction for me with regard to owning one. It has maybe 2 exclusive titles that I'd be interested in playing, and it's not worth the purchase just for those. For me, the PS3 exclusives pee all over the 360s from a very great height.

Fanboy? No. I don't prefer the PS3 because I have one, I have one because I prefer the games it offers. And the games are what it's all about.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 21:02   #44
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have 60 odd PS2 games, and wanted a next gen machine, I tried to get a BC PS3 so I could play some of my older games, that I love to play, and could remove my old PS2 and only have 1 machine.

As I couldn't get a BC PS3, and would have two machines I looked at both the PS3 & 360, as most of my mates had a 360 I went for that.
Old 26-08-2009, 07:54   #45
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

For those that are interested in such things..... Here is a teardown of the new ps3 slim.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayS...-3-Slim/1121/1

Me - well I fancy one, but I doubt I'd get enough out of it
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote