Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Advance line rental

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Advance line rental

Old 23-11-2016, 15:07   #16
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Advance line rental

Both times I had it I did not know when it was going to expire and the next bill jumped up in cost.
I have it now but only again after calling them up and adding it to the account.

They don't seem to want to advertise it or want anyone on it from the impression I get.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2016, 17:01   #17
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Everyone here knows you attitude towards Richard, that comment was aimed to be derogotory, and we all know it.
If I were you i'd stop replying to him, or put him on ignore, before you post yourself into more hot water.

How wrong you are, you can ask Richard yourself. We have had some good discussions in another thread.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 17:54   #18
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

A word of warning about paying line rental in advance. It's not refundable in any circumstances as I found out when I decided to cancel due to the price rise.
Top advice.

If you are looking to 're-negotiate', even if out of contract, if you've paid LRS they've got you over a barrel. Not quite a good a deal as it used to be, I've let mine expire.
If VM offer me a reasonable deal when I ring retentions in the near future, i'll probably go for it again, but only for the length of the '12 month contracted in' period.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 11:58   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Top advice.

If you are looking to 're-negotiate', even if out of contract, if you've paid LRS they've got you over a barrel. Not quite a good a deal as it used to be, I've let mine expire.
If VM offer me a reasonable deal when I ring retentions in the near future, i'll probably go for it again, but only for the length of the '12 month contracted in' period.
I'm tempted to do the same to align my LRS with my contract.

Otherwise, in essence, customers are putting themselves into another contract in return for the discount.

There is also pressure to make companies stop forcing customers to take a landline, what happens to us if this is abolished seeing as there are no refunds in any circumstances?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 12:05   #20
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Otherwise, in essence, customers are putting themselves into another contract in return for the discount.

There is also pressure to make companies stop forcing customers to take a landline, what happens to us if this is abolished seeing as there are no refunds in any circumstances?
I should imagine it will be the same as Vodaphne have done. The cost of line rental is absorbed into your BB monthly rental so the cost doesn't change, there's just no longer a separate line rental element.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 23:42   #21
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I have just paid it and the lady took my details and sent a confirming email.
Thank you for your help
It's worth checking your next bill, my line rental card payment was credited to my account as a general payment and not to buy line rental saver.

Quote:

Good idea to align all contracts.

There is no pressure to stop companies selling landlines. I think what you may be thinking about is the requirement by the ASA to include landline costs within the advertised costs for broadband. That comes from its research which found that "81% of participants were unable to calculate correctly the total cost of a broadband contract when asked to do so."
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:36   #22
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's worth checking your next bill, my line rental card payment was credited to my account as a general payment and not to buy line rental saver.

There is no pressure to stop companies selling landlines. I think what you may be thinking about is the requirement by the ASA to include landline costs within the advertised costs for broadband. That comes from its research which found that "81% of participants were unable to calculate correctly the total cost of a broadband contract when asked to do so."
It is on all bills, because I noticed this and queried it with them. They told me they put this on the bill, but as long as there is a date for the LRS to expire then it has been applied to the LRS. Why they can't put it on the bill as LSR is beyond me but I give up understanding things now.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 12:56   #23
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:

I had email confirming the line rental.
<
Thanks for taking Line Rental Saver for the next 12 months. We're just letting you know we've received your payment of £196.00 by debit/credit card.

By paying up front for a year's line rental, you've cut £32.00 from the full price of £228.00.>

Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 12:56   #24
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
That happened to mine as well, I noticed it after my next bill payment wasnt taken, and queried it - they found I was over £100 in credit and had to re-apply the advanced rental (or do some other trick) for it to kick in properly.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 14:15   #25
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I had email confirming the line rental.
<
Thanks for taking Line Rental Saver for the next 12 months. We're just letting you know we've received your payment of £196.00 by debit/credit card.

By paying up front for a year's line rental, you've cut £32.00 from the full price of £228.00.>

Wasn't it £144 last year?? ... another ripoff coming in under the radar ... and that's not much of a saving really is it!
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 14:17   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It was £164 at one point last year, but the LRS amount does change more often than the Line Rental does.

It's an offer, not a guaranteed part of the service. There is no obligation for Virgin Media to offer it at all.
Old 06-12-2016, 14:30   #27
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
Wasn't it £144 last year?? ... another ripoff coming in under the radar ... and that's not much of a saving really is it!

When I first took advantage of advanced line rental quite a few years ago the saving was about £50, since them the line rental has increase the savings are about £30.
Old 06-12-2016, 14:31   #28
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's an offer, not a guaranteed part of the service. There is no obligation for Virgin Media to offer it at all.
Its just not a great offer. Not much of a saving any longer and effectively ties you in for a year, contracted or not. Its very much in VMs interest to sign you up.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 15:03   #29
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

It represents a 14% discount. I would happily pay annually in advance for everything if it came with a 14% discount.
You should also align paying LRS with your annual negotiation with Retentions.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 16:19   #30
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
It represents a 14% discount. I would happily pay annually in advance for everything if it came with a 14% discount.
You should also align paying LRS with your annual negotiation with Retentions.

I am in contract until August 2017