Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2013, 21:56   #811
Mr Banana

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Can someone please explain to me why we are always getting new channels with the Zing and Zee background.

We have a French channel (dont know why ) then we have the Asain channels etc, then we have the stupid channels ie Africa Channel. But when customers want certain channels, we are kept waiting.

I can never understand that customers are crying out for channels ie Premier Sports and Atlantic the answer is a blatant no.
Possibly because there are some French, Asian and African people living in the UK who may appreciate those channels. Just a thought like.

Advertisement
Old 27-04-2013, 21:58   #812
weegiegeek
Inactive

weegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to all

Probably because the French channel, the Asian channels etc don't cost what Premier Sports or Sky Atlantic would cost to carry. If VM could get you Sky Atlantic, they would. It'd probably increase the price of your package though.

Good to see you consider anything that's not aimed at you is stupid. Or is it just because they're for "foreigners"?
Old 27-04-2013, 21:59   #813
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Possibly because there are some French, Asian and African people living in the UK who may appreciate those channels. Just a thought like.

And maybe Atlantic and Premier Sports are expensive and the others aren't. Wouldn't have thought it was so difficult to work out Arthur.
Old 27-04-2013, 22:14   #814
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

There are also some Scots/Irish and Welsh people here in the UK, but we dont see those channels do we.

I live near Twickenham and would love to see some Scottish channels, as my wife is comes from Glasgow, we cannot see STV, but l can see FRENCH TV. See my point.
Old 27-04-2013, 22:29   #815
Jameseh

You do realise STV at this point is basically just ITV with different news and no English football.

If you want nationwide Scottish TV watch BBC Alba.

Old 27-04-2013, 22:46   #816
jj20x

Quote:
..we cannot see STV, but l can see FRENCH TV. See my point.
That's one for you to take up with ITV & STV, they have regional advertising and don't want other ITV Network regions available. There's nothing that VM can do about that.

TV5Monde is TV5 World, it's not a French TV channels as such, more a channel carrying programmes for French speaking citizens living outside France, Belgium, Switzerland etc.

Old 27-04-2013, 23:13   #817
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

What l am trying to say is that l believe that IF there are these channels out there, such as l can obtain channels outside London, on Freesat by adding in the signal that carried say CHANNEL ISLAND TV, So l cannot understand why VM cannot have this channel basis. I know it may sound stupid, but when l go to Great Yarmouth each year and wanted to watched what was happening in London, l couldn't as Norfolk has Anglia TV, and you can only get that on Sky NOT VM.
Old 27-04-2013, 23:35   #818
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
There are also some Scots/Irish and Welsh people here in the UK, but we dont see those channels do we.

I live near Twickenham and would love to see some Scottish channels, as my wife is comes from Glasgow, we cannot see STV, but l can see FRENCH TV. See my point.

Is S4C not a Welsh channel which broadcasts with Welsh as the primary language? Or would be that classed as foreign to you? As for SA VM are still trying to get a deal which allow everyone the channel. Secondly, whilst I do not watch a lot of The Africa Channel etc, I enjoy being able to have the option to watch some of the varied and enlightening content they offer. It is odd though, that you were willing to join Sky which also have the same channels you begrudge VM attaining, plus many other "foreign"/"pointless" channels.

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Quote:
What l am trying to say is that l believe that IF there are these channels out there, such as l can obtain channels outside London, on Freesat by adding in the signal that carried say CHANNEL ISLAND TV, So l cannot understand why VM cannot have this channel basis. I know it may sound stupid, but when l go to Great Yarmouth each year and wanted to watched what was happening in London, l couldn't as Norfolk has Anglia TV, and you can only get that on Sky NOT VM.
So you are fed up when you can't see what is going on in London, but you begrudge people from countries having access to stations which will allow them to keep up-to-date with news and/or programs from their homelands? Seems rather unfair to me.

Why would you want Channel Island TV? Surely that is equally as rubbish as the Africa Channel.
Old 28-04-2013, 00:49   #819
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

BBC1 Scotland is available on channel 862 if that's any use.

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

Quote:
If you go again, BBC1 London is available on channel 861 and ITV London on 853.

I agree that, now we have the extra capacity, that some more regional variations would be useful.

Alas, I doubt we will see any more ITV additions because of the desire to target advertising. ITV try to discourage viewers from watching a different region to the one intended for their area by not putting them on the Sky EPG. As they have stopped encrypting their satellite broadcasts, however, viewers can get round this by adding it to "other channels". I believe that they are available on Freesat by not being truthful about the correct postcode.

We only get ITV London and another selected region depending on the area you are in because of the need for Audio descripton and HD feeds.
Old 28-04-2013, 05:47   #820
jj20x

Quote:
So l cannot understand why VM cannot have this channel basis.
Simple, it's up to the ITV Network to decide who gets what and they want the audience to get the region they where are selling advertising time.

This isn't rocket science, the other regions aren't easily available on satellite either. Other ITV regions aren't given channel numbers in the Sky EPG but can be received as "other channels" by anyone with sufficient technical knowledge. Similarly, they don't have channel numbers in the freesat EPG.

It's not going to happen.

Old 28-04-2013, 08:20   #821
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

STV's agreements for broadcasting with ITV simply do not allow Virgin Media to have STV in England.
Old 28-04-2013, 09:14   #822
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why we are always getting new channels with the Zing and Zee background.

We have a French channel (dont know why ) then we have the Asain channels etc, then we have the stupid channels ie Africa Channel. But when customers want certain channels, we are kept waiting.

I can never understand that customers are crying out for channels ie Premier Sports and Atlantic the answer is a blatant no.
We are a multi-cultural society and the channel choice on VM reflects this
Old 28-04-2013, 09:40   #823
huxleypiguk
Inactive

huxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of light

In Wales ITV HD carries the news from ITV Central.

However ITV conditions of contract with VM is that they will only carry the feeds for the regions they serve. So STV won't be shown in London etc etc.

With the dawn of IP TV this may change.
Old 28-04-2013, 09:42   #824
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

STV ain't a big loss, Scottish television is very very poor.
Old 28-04-2013, 09:45   #825
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
STV ain't a big loss, Scottish television is very very poor.
Did you ever have a part in that Scottish of series Take the High Road Henke?.