Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ran out of LAN ports what now??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ran out of LAN ports what now??

Old 14-10-2007, 16:49   #1
stephentsd
Inactive

stephentsd is an unknown quantity at this point
Ran out of LAN ports what now??

Hi guys was wondering for some help here, i have a Router but i have used all the LAN ports up on the back but i need one more! What do i do? Do i buy a hub and link the hub to a LAN port and then put the other LAN cables into the hub? Whats the best way to do this? Thanks in advance guys

Stephen
stephentsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2007, 16:50   #2
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: Ran out of LAN ports what now??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephentsd View Post
Hi guys was wondering for some help here, i have a Router but i have used all the LAN ports up on the back but i need one more! What do i do? Do i buy a hub and link the hub to a LAN port and then put the other LAN cables into the hub? Whats the best way to do this? Thanks in advance guys

Stephen
Get a Hub or better still a swtich.
Plug the switch into the router
Plug the other devices into the switch

Voilla sorted.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 16:52   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Yep, buy a hub, or switch. Connect it by ethernet to one of your router's LAN ports, and then run whatever network cables you need to your toys from the switch / hub.

A switch is often to be preferred over a hub. A hub sends stuff to all the connections, whereas the switch will limit traffic to the connections that actually make use of your data.

Some hubs / switches have an "uplink" port. If you get one of those, that is the port that needs to be connected to your router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 16:52   #4
stephentsd
Inactive

A switch, thanks guys, what is the proper name of this switch? like on Ebuyer or somewhere?
Old 14-10-2007, 16:54   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
A switch, thanks dragon, what is the proper name of this switch? like on Ebuyer or somewhere?
100mbit switch

Unless you need a 1000mbit one

They are very expensive though i mean look at the price of this one
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Perip...roductId=27019

Search switch on ebuyer in the networking section they should show up.
Old 14-10-2007, 16:57   #6
stephentsd
Inactive

could you have a look at this please and tell me if this would be ok?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127067

Thanks
Old 14-10-2007, 16:58   #7
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
could you have a look at this please and tell me if this would be ok?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127067

Thanks
Yeah that should do the trick nicely.

Edit:

although for an extra £1 you could have an 8port version
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127068
Old 14-10-2007, 17:16   #8
stephentsd
Inactive

Thanks alot for your help guys i'll get one ordered, i only need an extra port though! so i dont think i'll get the 8 port version, thanks again guys

Stephen
Old 14-10-2007, 17:18   #9
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
i only need an extra port though! so i dont think i'll get the 8 port version, thanks again guys

Stephen
At the moment anyway Might have been a good idea to get the 8 porter just in case
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 18:20   #10
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
At the moment anyway Might have been a good idea to get the 8 porter just in case
U'd be supirised how quickly they go
Old 14-10-2007, 18:45   #11
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Bloody hell!!! Have switches really come down that much?? Crikey!!!

Mind you - I'm always looking for the "best" switches for customers..
Old 14-10-2007, 18:51   #12
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Bloody hell!!! Have switches really come down that much?? Crikey!!!

Mind you - I'm always looking for the "best" switches for customers..
Saying that, unless they specifically require a managed switch, what's the difference between a Netgear bog standard and something badged Sweex?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 19:13   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Whats wrong with wireless?

If the router has wireless just buy a wireless adapter, other wise you could get a wireless access point which plugs into the rouer, and get as many wireless adapters as needed
Old 14-10-2007, 19:44   #14
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Whats wrong with wireless?

If the router has wireless just buy a wireless adapter, other wise you could get a wireless access point which plugs into the rouer, and get as many wireless adapters as needed
Shove 10gb though wireless then tell me whats wrong with it.
Old 14-10-2007, 20:46   #15
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Shove 10gb though wireless then tell me whats wrong with it.
wireless 10GigE is far to expensive for your average users/small or even medium business, but it does exist if you want it today for your backhaul.

several wireless 11N Routers now come with 1Gigabit LAN/RJ45 connections if thats what you want for future expansion.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote