Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nuisance Phone Calls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nuisance Phone Calls

Old 29-03-2010, 19:37   #16
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

Yikes £79.95. It would have to get a lot worse before I would consider paying that much Molly.

I'll just carry on winding them up and wasting their time. I know it won't stop them but at least it makes my smile. I think I may set John on them next time. 10 minutes talking to him with his hearing aid turned down and asking them to talk up should be a decent payback. Then I can always try the radio playing down the line trick, the silent treatment trick, and then there's the 'I'm sorry can you start again from the beginning' ... that always gets them annoyed after the second time I ask.

No doubt they will move on to pastures greener given time.
Old 29-03-2010, 19:42   #17
Spectato
Inactive

Services: || (XL) Broadband || (XL) Nuisance Call Hotline ||
Spectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to behold

That device came up in the links that 'devilincarnate' posted also.

First issue:
Quote:
"Many TrueCall features require your network's Caller ID (available free from BT, but may be chargeable from other providers)."
So you need to be in an available VM area, and have a caller-ID capable phone.
Pay for caller-ID, the unit and
Quote:
"To be operated optimally, there is a need to use the Web Link service, which utilises a national rate phone number and will be chargeable after the first year (Price unknown)."
Also sounds quite technically challenging from reading some of the reviews.
Sorry to be negative about it.
Spectato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 22:15   #18
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Well I'm definitely technically challenged so another minus point against the device.
Old 30-03-2010, 12:09   #19
Fingy
Inactive

Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal
Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal

My dad is on BT and kept getting similar calls. They seemed to have stopped since he just kept asking them if they could tell him whereabouts in the house the computer was as he'd be really interested in how it got there as he has never bought one and he'd like to see what it looked like. Though he is retired and does seem to enjoy winding these people up on the phone.
Fingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 12:47   #20
dgcarter
Inactive

Services: 60mbps Broadband only since I got rid of the overpriced phone line and the pointless TV
dgcarter doesn't have many friendsdgcarter doesn't have many friendsdgcarter doesn't have many friends

Couple of points here:

They can get your number from the directory, which is on public sale. If they have no directory, they are probably using an autodialler (in which case they probably wouldn't have your name). In most cases anonymous caller reject wouldn't work, since my understanding is that this only rejects numbers where the originator has specifically opted to withhold the number. Most of these callers simply don't resent a number to the system. My phone just displays unknown in this case, anonymous where the number is withheld.

Sorry that's three points, maths never was my strong point.

Don
dgcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 13:59   #21
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

I'm sorry there isn't much anyone can do. The only thing you can do is follow these steps:

1. Get a phone that supports Caller Display
2. Add Caller Display to your line
3. Ignore witheld calls and let it go to Answer machine
4. If they don't leave a message then its probably trash

Alternatively.....

1.Order Anonymous Caller Rejection
2.If the calls persist then you will have to get your number changed which is free, if you change it more than once then there is an administration fee of £20.

Make sure your numbers are registered with the TPS and that they are ex-directory.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 01:05   #22
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Services: BB: 900 Mbps up/down (TOOB) Phone: Mobile (O2) TV: FreeSat
dbateman2k5 is on a distinguished roaddbateman2k5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
I'm sorry there isn't much anyone can do. The only thing you can do is follow these steps:

1. Get a phone that supports Caller Display
2. Add Caller Display to your line
3. Ignore witheld calls and let it go to Answer machine
4. If they don't leave a message then its probably trash

Alternatively.....

1.Order Anonymous Caller Rejection
2.If the calls persist then you will have to get your number changed which is free, if you change it more than once then there is an administration fee of £20.

Make sure your numbers are registered with the TPS and that they are ex-directory.
Of the above, I have Anonymous Caller Rejection and a phone that supports Caller Display. I'm also registered with TPS and am ex-directory.

With Anonymous Caller Rejection active, they still get through, which is annoying.

Also, the Caller Display service is not available in the Solent region (Area 20).
dbateman2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 06:31   #23
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

I got rid of the landline, if people really need to call then they have my mobile.
Added bonus is the kids cant phone there mates on there mobiles and give me a silly bill
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 06:51   #24
Artille
Inactive

Artille is an unknown quantity at this point

Your phone service provider actually sells your name and numbers to other companies using overseas call centres. Really they are responsible for the nuisance
Artille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 07:03   #25
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artille View Post
Your phone service provider actually sells your name and numbers to other companies using overseas call centres. Really they are responsible for the nuisance
Next you will be saying that the Gov taxes fuel.
Life is a scam and all are in on it

---------- Post added at 07:03 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

I'm thinking of getting an auto dialer to get people to send me money, It worked for Homer
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 07:17   #26
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I would love you to provide proof of that as it is illegal especially if you have ticked any opt out boxes.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 09:00   #27
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Unless you agree that this is merely a supposition on your part I think you should produce the evidence that you have based this statement on as I think we would all be interested to see it.

I am highly doubtful that my number has been sold by VM, why would anyone hand over money for my number when it is listed in the phone book and freely available.
Old 07-04-2010, 21:34   #28
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

My mum's had 2 nuisance calls on the last 2 nights. Last night it was a woman, tonight a man - both with Indian accents.

They ask for her by name, then say that they need to confirm if they're speaking on a Sky or BT line. (Aren't they technically one and the same?)

She then asks who's calling and why they need to kow, at which point they rattle off some incoherent company name "from London." When she asks them to repeat the name, they hang up.

I told her to contact the local police station to ask if they were aware of any scams going on like this, which they weren't. They've given her an incident number to report if it happens again, and advised her to contact her operator to see if they can help.

Anyone else had anything like these particular calls?
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 00:30   #29
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoimia View Post
My mum's had 2 nuisance calls on the last 2 nights. Last night it was a woman, tonight a man - both with Indian accents.

They ask for her by name, then say that they need to confirm if they're speaking on a Sky or BT line. (Aren't they technically one and the same?)

Anyone else had anything like these particular calls?
I had one of these calls last night, asking for my husband and if I could confirm we were on a BT line. I told him that was none of his business, why he was calling and what he wanted and he hung up on me.

My hubby has way too much fun winding them up.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:44   #30
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security...rus-phone-scam
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote