Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 29-07-2015, 21:10   #1036
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Looks like the licensing servers for the Windows Store are being hammered right now. Loads of people (myself included) are unable to install any apps, getting error 0x803f7003
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2015, 21:17   #1037
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Just upgraded one PC and one Laptop, both from Windows 8.1 without any issues, so far.
Took about 2 hours wait for the licenses to get activated, however they are now done. I did try initially to activate as soon as the upgrade was finished, but decided to leave them alone, and they did eventually activate on their own.
Have not tried a clean install from the ISO creation as yet, and may not either.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 21:23   #1038
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
did you use Microsoft account of local one
Microsoft account, and I have just checked it and it was showing as logged in to the Microsoft account but needed to be verified, as soon as I did that and rebooted it activated.

What a PITA system that is, that you cannot activate until you have not only logged in with your account but also validated the account on your pc which, I can understand for security reasons but you would, have thought that Microsoft Customer Support would have asked for that to be verified first.

**Edit**

For those who have a similar issue to what I have had all day here is what I needed to do in the end.

1: Install Windows 7/8/8.1

2: Install all updates to the point there is none left

3: Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

4: Install the Windows 10 Upgrade so that you have Windows 10 installed

5: Ensure you are logged in to a Microsoft Live Account for logging in etc

6: Ensure Windows 10 is activated

7: Download Windows 10 Media Creator Tool

8: Create the ISO file for the version of Windows 10 that is installed IE Home, Pro etc

9: Download Magic Jelly Bean, install it and run it to obtain the Windows 10 key.

10: Burn the ISO to DVD or create a USB Installer using Rufus

11: Carry out a clean install of Windows 10 using the ISO you created.

12: Ensure that when you install it, that you use the key you get from Magic Jelly Bean

13: Ensure once the install is complete that you are logged in using your Windows Live login details

14: Verify your Live account on the machine

15: Check the activation status to ensure you are fully activated

16: Store the key from Magic Jelly Bean somewhere safe as you will need that in the future for any further clean installs if, it does not pick it up from your live account.

It is a PITA way to have to do it, since Microsoft say your Windows 7/8/8.1 key should work but it only took me nearly 12 hours to finally figure it out after spending nearly, 4 hours in total on the phone to Microsoft and doing around 10 clean installs and upgrades of Windows 8/8.1 & 10.

Now my main pc is sorted I now have to deal with my lan/media pc.
Old 29-07-2015, 22:17   #1039
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Got it installed but it seems Cortana won't work as it should..not that it's a problem..it just annoyed my son.
Old 29-07-2015, 22:22   #1040
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Got it installed but it seems Cortana won't work as it should..not that it's a problem..it just annoyed my son.
I have just read that Cortana isn't supported with the UK language pack on installs today which I find strange as my insider build works fine.
Old 29-07-2015, 22:32   #1041
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

don't do I clean install if you upgraded it won't activate automatically you have to buy I new key from Microsoft if you do clean install.
Gabe Aul was wrong about clean install after upgrading so be careful
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 22:43   #1042
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Well the install on my M-ITX rig doesn't like the key at the moment, going to give it one more try and then call it a night and try again tomorrow.
Old 30-07-2015, 00:11   #1043
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Mine updated ok, so good so far
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 00:41   #1044
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I have just read that Cortana isn't supported with the UK language pack on installs today which I find strange as my insider build works fine.
the uk is one of the 5 to 8 country cant remember exactly that's supported for Cortana at moment rest will come latter

---------- Post added at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
don't do I clean install if you upgraded it won't activate automatically you have to buy I new key from Microsoft if you do clean install.
Gabe Aul was wrong about clean install after upgrading so be careful
I done it a few times to test activates every time here and some on windows forums say they needed to skip key to activate on clean install after upgrade
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 03:00   #1045
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

@Dave42 yeah insider preview got activated on clean install. permanently activated. I have no problem with that.
but the windows 10 ISO that came out on 29th July I did a clean install and skip the serial key is not activated.
you can try it if you don't believe me.

I wanted to install windows 8.1 again my laptop can't even boot from USB anymore. I wish I didn't listen to Gabe Aul

you can see is quotes on twitter
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 03:06   #1046
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
@Dave42 yeah insider preview got activated on clean install. permanently activated. I have no problem with that.
but the windows 10 ISO that came out on 29th July I did a clean install and skip the serial key is not activated.
you can try it if you don't believe me.

I wanted to install windows 8.1 again my laptop can't even boot from USB anymore. I wish I didn't listen to Gabe Aul

you can see is quotes on twitter
I believe you I clean installed from official ISO today and it activated straight away just a few on some windows forums saying they got activated by skipping key try making a dvd from the windows 8.1 to install that way from official 8.1 media creator

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...-refresh-media
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 07:38   #1047
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Go to language pack and upgraded them then it should work
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 07:49   #1048
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era

I`ve had the notification on the taskbar for ages now but this morning it has gone but when I go to windows update there are no updates to install. Does that mean I`m not getting it now even though it originally said It was reserved.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:08   #1049
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
I`ve had the notification on the taskbar for ages now but this morning it has gone but when I go to windows update there are no updates to install. Does that mean I`m not getting it now even though it originally said It was reserved.
Same here.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:30   #1050
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Surface Pro 3 - upgraded yesterday All devices installed correctly in device manager but Windows 10 saying there are no wireless devices installed??

so no network access going to have to downgrade it