Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | And so history repeats itself...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

And so history repeats itself...

Old 20-02-2012, 23:13   #31
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve
Re: And so history repeats itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
24-hour plot:

The only reason the live one's stopped working is because my IP changed. Clearly terribe 7pm-midnight.
Yep thats the confirmation I was looking for, How could anyone use that connection.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2012, 23:33   #32
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
Yep thats the confirmation I was looking for, How could anyone use that connection.
Heh.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 23:34   #33
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Qas your min latency looks pretty high for BT
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 23:37   #34
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
ive noticed that on a few infinity monitors...
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 23:48   #35
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
I'm in Scotland. Pretty much all ISPs have higher min latency here, yet BT's actually lower than most and within 0.1ms of VM. 350+ miles adds some unavoidable latency
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 00:20   #36
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I'm in Scotland. Pretty much all ISPs have higher min latency here, yet BT's actually lower than most and within 0.1ms of VM. 350+ miles adds some unavoidable latency

Don't forget that 350+ Miles also applies to your VM connection. To be fair though your minimum latency is very high.Infact your minimum is higher than my average latency. Infact your latency is the same as my Sky LLU connection and Sky won't let users go on fastpath and insist on a minimum SNR of 7db.

If Sky allowed 6db or 3db with fastpath the minimum would be half your infinty, although later in the year Sky are going to offer some super gamer package so maybe it will just be fastpath with a lower snr.
Old 21-02-2012, 00:23   #37
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

ive seen afew infinity connections having hjgjer min than VM even if its a little it is a little confusing with everything else looking good. i guess your cant win. not sure how mine will look.
Old 21-02-2012, 00:26   #38
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yes, hence I pointed out my VM connection's minimum is less than 0.1ms different to my BT one. Not sure what your point is? Most people's average is lower than my minimum too, then again most people don't live in Scotland.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
ive seen afew infinity connections having hjgjer min than VM even if its a little it is a little confusing with everything else looking good. i guess your cant win. not sure how mine will look.
Part of it I guess comes down to core network structure and routing. But as I say, mine's almost exactly the same on both, and I'm almost as far away as you can get and still make a comparison between the two. It'll also vary between sites. Right now for example, my BT Infinity minimum ping to Multiplay.co.uk is about 1.5ms slower than VM, but to BBC it's 0.5ms faster and to ThinkBroadband's ping monitor it's 4ms slower. Yet earlier in the day the trends were reversed. Still, the 4ms difference to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com - i.e. the address used for the ping monitor(s) - seems to agree with your seeing BT plots being generally higher than VM's. Yet as demonstrated with the other two examples, similar differences don't occur to all destinations.

What really matters is average and standard deviation though. For that, the Linux built-in ping tool is far better than the Windows one. Here's some examples from the VM line:

--- www.bbc.net.uk ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 101700ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 19.436/29.341/154.849/10.760 ms, pipe 2, ipg/ewma 101.802/30.844 ms

--- www.multiplay.co.uk ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 999 received, 0% packet loss, time 101483ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.479/27.378/161.304/9.393 ms, pipe 2, ipg/ewma 101.585/26.287 ms

--- pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 100951ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 17.000/24.436/78.188/6.391 ms, ipg/ewma 101.052/27.891 ms

The 'mdev' value is quite good to get a measure of congestion to a particular host, as is the delta between minimum and average. Looking at the above numbers, the lowest congestion is seen along to pingbox1 - looks like VM has got a lot less congestion and a lot more unused capacity (or just a much bigger pipe) going to ThinkBroadband's network than, say, BBC's network. I wonder why... :-P

BT line, for reference:

--- www.bbc.net.uk ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 100922ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.955/19.487/21.367/0.271 ms, ipg/ewma 101.023/19.532 ms

--- www.multiplay.co.uk ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 100898ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 19.996/20.464/21.133/0.144 ms, ipg/ewma 100.999/20.457 ms

--- pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 101040ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 21.242/21.737/22.869/0.183 ms, ipg/ewma 101.141/21.741 ms

Averages barely 0.5ms off minimums (vs. VM's 10ms, even off-peak), with standard deviations also well below half a millisecond. Sure, the distance adds to the minimum but at least there's nothing keeping me away from said minimum all the time
Old 21-02-2012, 00:39   #39
thenry
Inactive

i dont mean to hijack your thread but what info would you need to work mine out without it installed if that makes sense?
Old 21-02-2012, 01:09   #40
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Windows only displays to 1ms, but if that's enough for you then you can pipe the output to a file and then do the calculations yourself. Or you could download an Ubuntu liveCD and install/run it as a virtual app.
Old 21-02-2012, 01:38   #41
thenry
Inactive

right. ive always wanted to toy with ubuntu.

i think my local exchange is a mile away if that. samknows its really telling me unless im doing something wrong.
Old 21-02-2012, 01:49   #42
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I'm not sure how Ubuntu would help you with that, but if you want to try it it's fairly simple. In addition to the good old Live CD you can install it into a virtual disk file without modifying your hard drive layout or partitions (Wubi). Or just plonk it in a virtualbox.
Old 21-02-2012, 01:54   #43
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

If you want to try Unbuntu wjust set your boot preference to usb, stick Unbuntu on a USB stick, stick that USB in your computer then start it up. It will look for a USB stick first then boot Unbuntu

Then if you remove the USB stick your PC will just boot from the HDD with out installing anything. SIMPLES.....
Old 21-02-2012, 02:07   #44
thenry
Inactive

thanks