Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moans and Pet Hates Part 7

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moans and Pet Hates Part 7
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:22   #796
Nanor
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with V+ : VM XL BB : VM M Telephone with Talk International
Nanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the rough
Re: Moans and Pet Hates Part 7

My brother was having a moan about this when I was last home and since then I've had a few people using it. 'I'll revert back to you' at the end of emails. What does that even mean?

Rather than getting back to me they seem to be saying they're going to transform back into a version of me?
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39   #797
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanor View Post
My brother was having a moan about this when I was last home and since then I've had a few people using it. 'I'll revert back to you' at the end of emails. What does that even mean?

Rather than getting back to me they seem to be saying they're going to transform back into a version of me?
Means they will return to the topic at a later date.

Quote:
revert Pronunciation: /rɪˈvəːt/

Definition of revert

verb

1 [no object] (revert to) return to (a previous state, practice, topic, etc.): he reverted to his native language he ignored her words by reverting to the former subject

convert to (the Islamic faith): I reverted to Islam five years ago

Biology return to (a former or ancestral type): it is impossible that a fishlike mammal will actually revert to being a true fish

Law (of property) return to (the original owner) by reversion: in the event of the building ceasing to become a school, ownership would revert to the Church

2 [with object] archaic turn (one’s eyes or steps) back: on reverting our eyes, every step presented some new and admirable scene

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...evert?q=revert
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44   #798
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanor View Post

This also annoys me greatly. I think it's an Americanism, either way it's not the version of English I was taught at school.

Reply back to them in Latinum Vulgare.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:55   #799
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I've never heard that one before; and sincerely hope I never hear of it again
Old 07-08-2012, 13:10   #800
Nanor
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with V+ : VM XL BB : VM M Telephone with Talk International
Nanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Means they will return to the topic at a later date.
It's nothing to do with the word revert, I completely understand what they are saying and was only being facetious.

I'll admit my English is nowhere near as good as it should be but this is a minor annoyance on two levels. The usage of the word 'back' is at best a tautology and at worst makes no sense at all. Furthermore the intention is to say they will respond, not that they will "revert back to me" which goes back to my original interpretation that they will 'return to a previous version of me'.
Old 07-08-2012, 16:36   #801
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Although I did have good news today (in the happy thoughts thread) - I also had a bit of an /incidednt/ while waiting for hospital transport home.

Let me set the scene.....

I'm sitting in the waiting room. Conversation is going on round me as you'd expect.

The two 'ladies' opposite however are loudly moaning about all and sundry from their 'slag' daughters to the 'slag' receptionist and staff who bore their brunt because they'd had the nerve to make them wait half an hour for their appointment. At this point all went quiet as they were jabbing at their phones...

Anyway as I'm waiting I made the mistake of getting a text message and an email on my phone.

Wow - you'd think I'd killed a kitten or something, the abuse I got was colourful to say the least.

What set them off? My phone reads out said messages as I can't see it.

Luckily for them my transport turned up at this point as I just didn't feel like trying to explain why my phone speaks.
Old 07-08-2012, 16:49   #802
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

That sucks dilli. Glad you had some good news today though.

My gripe is that when you do things for other people, they can't be bothered to have the decency to say thank you or please. I've come to expect it from everyone in the world, but when your own brother does it it gets a bit much for me to keep cool. So I told him he could download his own damn wrestling in future, and waste his dad's broadband allowance instead of mine. And I got a mouthful of abuse from him. He's only 12, but I was so tempted to thump him right in the mouth.

Just ignore me if I get grumpy and short today on here, got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.
Old 07-08-2012, 18:24   #803
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Why did ABBA have to make their songs sound so good but with complicated orchestrations.

I'm sat here trying to work out a medley on my keyboard and it just sounds like a bad Karaoke version so I'm going to not bother

Sorry! This should be in a 'rant' thread but there isn't one that I could find
Old 07-08-2012, 22:39   #804
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Emails

I deal with a lot of companies and some are in the US and with the obvious time difference (5 - 10 hours behind GMT). Especally the ones in California that don't read my emails until I have gone home and then ask a question that then means another 24 delay.

Also I ask for revision check for manuals and in the Ref filed I put the manual number in there, but when they reaponed they leave the filed blank.
Old 09-08-2012, 15:06   #805
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze

My pet hate today is my optician. Everything she says is followed by a love.

'Come with me love' and 'Sit there love' 'Just going to put some drops in your eyes love' and so on. Got to the point where I felt like going 'I'm not your (swear word removed) love'

Annoys me so much.
Old 13-08-2012, 14:52   #806
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Hospital - again.....

I went in for an examination and ended up being sent for a (quick) operation, they haven't kept me in or anything but it all hurts like hell now.

So frankly nuts to the rest of the day.
Old 13-08-2012, 15:31   #807
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

Ouch, sucks you had to have an operation. Hope you recover quickly.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:23   #808
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

What really grates my carrot is the increasing number of people who say 'I'm not racist, but'..... or words to that effect.

Usually they go on to show they are just that!

I am saddened by the number of these racist bigots and disappointinted to see the numbers of these people on here too.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:49   #809
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
What really grates my carrot is the increasing number of people who say 'I'm not racist, but'..... or words to that effect.

Usually they go on to show they are just that!

I am saddened by the number of these racist bigots and disappointinted to see the numbers of these people on here too.
I think we we should send them to church to be cured.

but I find that some of the "I'm not racist, but...." people just have a genuine complaint about something. afterall, you're not automatically a racist just because you talk about another 'race' without mentioning flowers and hugs. are you.

seems you are.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:06   #810
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

Fanatics come in all colours and beliefs.
Very true.
Closed Thread