Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sky boxes on e-bay

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sky boxes on e-bay

Old 20-06-2011, 16:44   #1
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
sky boxes on e-bay

Does anyone have any experiences of buying sky boxes and viewing cards on e-bay? I know these boxes can legally be sold (once out of warranty/contract) unlike virgin`s boxes but I was wondering what channels you would get? More than you would get on freesat for instance?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2011, 16:51   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: sky boxes on e-bay

Viewing cards are likely to be FTV enabled only, unlike VM boxes sky boxes are owned by the customer so they are quite free to sell.. Just don't expect Sky+ or HD boxes tofully function without a valid Sky+ or HD subscription
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 16:52   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

A Sky box without a viewing card will get most FSFS channels but you can't regionalize it properly because Sky sets the region on the viewing card rather than in the box itself. A Freesat box sets its region via your postcode and has no need of a card.

Be wary of Sky boxes currently for sale on fleabay. There was a major programme to replace all viewing cards last year and it is likely that many boxes are now on the market whose owners didn't see the point of paying for the new card. I would say it is safe to assume if you buy a box on ebay you will also have to plan to buy a new viewing card from Sky.

There are few differences in the channel line-up between Freesat and FSFS but nothing very significant. All the main entertainment channels are on both and most of the very obscure channels that are missing from the Freesat EPG can still be tuned manually if you desperately want them. Have a look here:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

and here:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 17:01   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Be wary of Sky boxes currently for sale on fleabay. There was a major programme to replace all viewing cards last year and it is likely that many boxes are now on the market whose owners didn't see the point of paying for the new card. I would say it is safe to assume if you buy a box on ebay you will also have to plan to buy a new viewing card from Sky.
I believe that the FTV cards do not get replaced as they are a one off fee from sky, so old cards should still act as a FTV card.
Old 20-06-2011, 17:02   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Not true - all old cards had to be replaced last year. They were issued free to subscribers but FSFS users had to pay for them. I know, because I had to buy one.
Old 20-06-2011, 17:17   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

It's then the first time they've ever done that I suppose it'll be since Sky introduced their freesat systems
Old 20-06-2011, 22:47   #7
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Not true - all old cards had to be replaced last year. They were issued free to subscribers but FSFS users had to pay for them. I know, because I had to buy one.
You sure that was last year? We had the same thing when we where with sky from 2008-2009 Think it was in the Jan of 2009. Didn't think they changed the cards that often?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 23:32   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Time flies, but I'm sure it wasn't as long ago as early 2009. There was only one card-swap programme (from the blue card to the white one) but it was phased IIRC.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:27   #9
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

beware of sub active boxes though, they are illegal!
Old 21-06-2011, 11:26   #10
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Time flies, but I'm sure it wasn't as long ago as early 2009. There was only one card-swap programme (from the blue card to the white one) but it was phased IIRC.
I seem to recall it happened to me either late 2009 or early 2010, details of the change here

I have an old expired blue subscription card. I'm still struggling with Sky box with old blue card and have lost ITV1 (but not ITV 1+1), 5*, 5*+1, 5 USA, 5 USA+1, Pick TV, Pick TV+1, but still picks up correct region for BBC 1 and ITV1+1. ITV London is available on Ch 993, and many channels can be set up in Services>Other Channels including regional ITV 1, however you have to set these up using Services>System Setup>Add Channels .

I have a FreeView PVR for the other channels anyway and use a HDD/DVD recorder for recording off SKY. Will probably get FreeSat PVR as Sky+ can't be used for recording without subscription.
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 13:21   #11
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Thanks for all the information guys,very helpful. I doubt I`l be buying one though as I already have a sky subscription,freeview,freesat and virgin L v+. I was just curious about them.
Old 23-06-2011, 16:31   #12
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Bought my Sky+HD box off of eBay last year brand new. Sky had no problems pairing the viewing card.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:55   #13
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Bought my Sky+HD box off of eBay last year brand new. Sky had no problems pairing the viewing card.
How much did sky charge to pair the card?
Old 23-06-2011, 21:12   #14
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Nothing, all they do is ask for box make/model serial number and card number
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote