Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Contract..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Contract..

Old 15-03-2011, 21:54   #1
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Sky Contract..

Just a quickie,

I have asked the folk at sky but all I got was a run around before being cut off.

Signed up for the hd+ box jobbie Dec 2009, this 12 month contract ran out Dec 2010 and I cancelled, job done.

Feb 2011 they contacted me again with the 'half price everything for 12 months sales talk' I accepted.

Soooooooo am I a new customer and as such entiled to free call outs / repairs, or am I an exsiting customer who is allowed to cancel the contract as and when I want?

Customer account number stayed the same, and the yr old box card is the same, and yes it's playing up, they are sending a new card out but they don't know if this will help!! and on a side note did you know as soon as the new card request is made / issued then the old card no longer works.. nice..

Ta muchly..
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2011, 22:19   #2
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: Sky Contract..

Being a Sky sub, I can assure you that there is NO free call outs, you have to take out a warranty with Sky which is cheap, as it can get very expensive.

If you have bought a box, then you should get a FREE warranty for 12 months, after that you pay for a warranty, as it can cost you up to £90.00 for them to come out to repair anything on your dish.

If you have a problem on the box, and they have to repair it, you will get a refurbished box, and l was told that by the engineer.

We needed a new LNB for the dish, and the engineer told us that a new one, without warranty will cost us £85.00.

We have three boxes, but we have one warranty that covers them all and we only pay £9.99 per month - and it is worth it.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 22:37   #3
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Being a Sky sub, I can assure you that there is NO free call outs, you have to take out a warranty with Sky which is cheap, as it can get very expensive.

If you have bought a box, then you should get a FREE warranty for 12 months, after that you pay for a warranty, as it can cost you up to £90.00 for them to come out to repair anything on your dish.

If you have a problem on the box, and they have to repair it, you will get a refurbished box, and l was told that by the engineer.

We needed a new LNB for the dish, and the engineer told us that a new one, without warranty will cost us £85.00.

We have three boxes, but we have one warranty that covers them all and we only pay £9.99 per month - and it is worth it.
Just as a note Arthur... you don't need to phone sky direct about your dish etc as any tv engineer that install sky are capable of repairing the stuff and its usually cheaper than ringing sky too.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 12:11   #4
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Or just buy the stuff on ebay and repair yourself, cheap as chips!

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 17:05   #5
sczoo19
Inactive

Services: Broadband, Forums
sczoo19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let you know if your box or equipment is out of warranty (after 12 months)
then Sky engineers won't touch it there not allowed, they will just refer you to a third party engineer. Your best bet is to take out the insurance sky offers I think its about £6 - £6 per month but that of course pays for all call out charges worth a shot
sczoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 18:38   #6
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

So sczoo, my equipment is out of warranty as it's over 12 months old, but I am 2 months into a 12 month contract I can't get out of, is that right?
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 18:47   #7
sczoo19
Inactive

Right I see, well because you are 2 months into a new 12 month contract you are basically like a new customer to them again, I would say ring up and ask to speak with cancellation but they would reject the call because you are what they say 'still in contract and out of grace period' However if it was a miss sell of contract or you have ongoing technical problems you may be able to cancel on them terms...
Good luck with it all
Old 16-03-2011, 19:56   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczoo19 View Post
Just to let you know if your box or equipment is out of warranty (after 12 months)
then Sky engineers won't touch it there not allowed, they will just refer you to a third party engineer. Your best bet is to take out the insurance sky offers I think its about £6 - £6 per month but that of course pays for all call out charges worth a shot
AFAIK Sky engineers will still touch the box & dish etc. if it's out of warranty, however you have to pay a callout charge. It is (or at least was) around £65, & covers whatever is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
So sczoo, my equipment is out of warranty as it's over 12 months old, but I am 2 months into a 12 month contract I can't get out of, is that right?
Yes, sounds like it. You would have renewed the contract for another 12 months by taking up the offer, however the box itself is now out of warranty.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 20:39   #9
sczoo19
Inactive

If you want say a multiroom with sky they wont replace the old box anywhere but as soon as you have new equipment they would be allowed to send an engineer where if it was a technical fault they may or may not send one at their discretion, I had a problem with my broadband with them and they send another free router and also got BT open reach to take a look at the lines coming into the house and then a sky engineer came out - free of charge so it does really depend on a lot of things just keep on at them
Old 16-03-2011, 20:44   #10
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
AFAIK Sky engineers will still touch the box & dish etc. if it's out of warranty, however you have to pay a callout charge. It is (or at least was) around £65, & covers whatever is needed.

Yes, sounds like it. You would have renewed the contract for another 12 months by taking up the offer, however the box itself is now out of warranty.
The 65 quid call out was my understanding to. Mind you as a long standing customer I got a free box replacement outside of warranty and would simply cancel if they tried to charge me knowing full well a month or 2 later they will be after me back lol
Old 29-03-2011, 22:57   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
The 65 quid call out was my understanding to. Mind you as a long standing customer I got a free box replacement outside of warranty and would simply cancel if they tried to charge me knowing full well a month or 2 later they will be after me back lol
If your out of contract with Sky never pay a call out fee , just threaten to leave it usually gets you a free call.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 07:55   #12
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If your out of contract with Sky never pay a call out fee , just threaten to leave it usually gets you a free call.
Unless you live in a non cabled area and Sky call your bluff like they did to me previously.

Old 30-03-2011, 10:11   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Well I've loads of friends who live on new estates who've had free service calls and VM isn't available to them.
Old 30-03-2011, 13:36   #14
weesteev
Cable Guru

And? My comment clearly stated "and Sky call your bluff"... thats what retentions teams do.

Old 30-03-2011, 18:58   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
And? My comment clearly stated "and Sky call your bluff"... thats what retentions teams do.
It's not rocket science to think if you are paying about 35.00 a month or up that Sky won't lose your for a one off 65.00 service charge.