Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky activation signal?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky activation signal?

Old 26-05-2009, 21:43   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Sky activation signal?

Basically Following on from my other thread, I've bought a second hand sky+ box, plugged it up today and called sky to re-activate my Movies/Sports as well as the recording capablty.

Sky said between 2minutes and 4 hours for the activation signal to come though
This was about 19:30 ish and so far it hasn't

Is there anything I can do to speed it up, also they never asked for the S/N of the box or anything just the viewing card number and the standard stuff to verify it was indeed my sky account.

My STB isn't plugged into the phone, not sure if that makes any difference.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2009, 22:01   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Sky activation signal?

the stb thing slows it down iirc. If the modem is connected it hits a lot quicker
Old 26-05-2009, 22:16   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Tried connecting the modem, no difference so I phoned them

Turns out the first person I spoke to didn't register the sky+ stb on their system
Old 26-05-2009, 22:27   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

If it's a second hand box it may also have out of date software, you can force an update by plugging the phone line in. turning the box off at the mains, holding the back-up button on the front of the box and returning power to the box while the back-up button is held in, you can let go of the button once the software update screen shows
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 23:22   #5
dragon
Inactive

It's working now, turns out the first time I called it hadn't been registered on skys system properly. The person I spoke to the 2nd time took more more details and it was done about 30mins later.

It's only an old box i think 40gb hdd but least i can record (providing i figure out the art of dummy recordings) (probably have a bigger HDD somewhere)

Might get around to running that 2nd cable soon then probably upgrade to sky HD.
Old 27-05-2009, 12:50   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Sounds about right, we quite often have to deal with issues that arise from other people just not doing their job right in the first place. You can install a new Hard disk into that box quite easily, there is a walk through on Skyuser if you need info.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 19:51   #7
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Sounds about right, we quite often have to deal with issues that arise from other people just not doing their job right in the first place. You can install a new Hard disk into that box quite easily, there is a walk through on Skyuser if you need info.
I might have to, seems ever since sky activated the + functionality i've been getting momentary blips when watching TV, I suspect the orginal HDD might be on its way out as they don't see the same as you'd usually get if it was the reception

E.g the picture will freeze for a moment and the sound will break up then it will be fine. Person I got it from said it was defiantly fine before I got it and since it's a friend/colleague I believe him. It wouldn't suprise me if it took a wack on the journey back from work (I take the train)

Edit:

Haven't changed the drive yet (people watching TV) but i did turn instant rewind off to see if that makes a difference
Old 27-05-2009, 22:46   #8
dragon
Inactive

Tried a different drive actually that was worse couldn't chase play tv at all it was just unwatchable.

I'm still getting problems with the picture breaking up with the + box, I'm thinking it might be the signal after all as I was watching the signal strengh and it does occasional nosedive by a good quarter or so to just under half

Quality bar doesn't move tho.
Old 28-05-2009, 07:31   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

LNB replacement? Either that or is the dish not fully secured and moves now and then slightly?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 09:09   #10
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
LNB replacement? Either that or is the dish not fully secured and moves now and then slightly?
Don't think so it was fine with the original stb (which i still have) and no-ones been near the dish (still only have single feed hooked up)

Hope it's not the LNB i had sky change it a few months back after having problems with the reception.
Old 28-05-2009, 09:41   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Perhaps you degraded the connection with the F-Connector when you unscrewed it from the old box, you could try removing and then re-screwing the F-Connector onto the cable (assuming it's a screw-on type)
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 23:19   #12
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Perhaps you degraded the connection with the F-Connector when you unscrewed it from the old box, you could try removing and then re-screwing the F-Connector onto the cable (assuming it's a screw-on type)
Don't think it's a screw type as theres no obvious way to unscrew it.

I'm thinking perhaps my signal isn't that great and it just so happens that the standard box has a more sensitive tuner in it and can cope better
Old 28-05-2009, 23:36   #13
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Nearly all F-coax cable has a screw connector, it's rare for it not to have one.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 00:25   #14
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
Nearly all F-coax cable has a screw connector, it's rare for it not to have one.
So it is... you know I never even noticed that

One end I couldn't seem to unscrew but the other end I did manage to take the connector off an then reattach it (suggesting it might have been lose) but it didn't make a difference

ITV appears largely ok it's sky movies that are suffering a fair bit

Edit is it worth replacing the cable with something like this? http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9376
Old 29-05-2009, 11:55   #15
dragon
Inactive

Well tried a new cable, no difference so going to go back to my orginal sky box as I know that was working

That is I would if Sky manage to pair the card again apperently their systems were upgrading at the time i called.

Edit:

Managed to change back to standard sky although they did say something about a 12month sky + subscription but as good will they'd cancel it. Was never told that getting sky+ added would tie it in for 12months, as if that was the case id just have got a box off sky themselves.