Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No dial tone yet phone still rings?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

First Telecom Cable Saver

Old 13-08-2012, 12:02   #1
neilo
cf.addict

Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all
First Telecom Cable Saver

....is closing!! Nooooooooooo....!
Just got a letter saying their closing on 12th September. God help me if I have to dial a number on VM.

What's another good carrier pre-select? Is there another one like First Telecom where you get a box and don't have to dial a code everytime?
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2012, 16:13   #2
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: First Telecom Cable Saver

First telecom was the only one using a dialler box. You can use www.18185.co.uk who seem popular with other posters
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 16:40   #3
neilo
cf.addict

neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all

Then 18185 it is. Pain having to dial a number though!
Old 18-08-2012, 14:11   #4
neilo
cf.addict

I see they don't do 0844 calls. Shame, as it's quite difiicult to work out how much an 0844 call is on Virgin.
Old 18-08-2012, 14:35   #5
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

"Not cheap" is the best answer I can think of

(And I'm lucky that I've been using 18185 for years and so have an Orchid dialler.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:46   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
I see they don't do 0844 calls. Shame, as it's quite difiicult to work out how much an 0844 call is on Virgin.
About 3p more than a local call, and nearly three times more than most providers using a BT line.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 15:34   #7
SilverLady
Inactive

SilverLady is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
Then 18185 it is. Pain having to dial a number though!
If your phone has one touch dialling set the 18185 dialling number into its memory.

On our phone, if the person you are calling is in your phonebook, it was also possible to scroll through the phonebook numbers as soon as the 18185 welcome message started and then dial the number of the person you are calling from the phonebook memory. (Remember to add the # after the number you are calling has finished dialling.)
SilverLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 00:29   #8
neilo
cf.addict

Cheers. It's Speed Dial 1!!!
Old 20-08-2012, 23:46   #9
neilo
cf.addict

I see that superline.co.uk send you an auto-dialler. I think I might go with them as I've already forgotten to dial the 18185 number first. Just over 5 minutes that call, so I make that 75p. About 65p more than with First Telecom or Superline.

I can see that happening often-ish, so superline it is.
Old 20-11-2012, 09:56   #10
jwok
Inactive

jwok is an unknown quantity at this point

I was attracted to Superline by the prospect of an autodialler but they don't supply them anymore according to customer services.

Are there any other services that provide such a handy device to help avoid Virgin's call charges?
jwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:54   #11
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Have you considered VM's new Talk Unlimited Extra package? Depending on how much you spend on the calls it covered (0870/0845 & Mobile) it might be worth a look.

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/p...phone-xxl.html
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 21:36   #12
neilo
cf.addict

In the end I didn't go with Superline either. They also said thy couldn't get a dialler despite the website saying they do have these.