Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Piracy: end of the road in sight?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Piracy: end of the road in sight?

Old 09-05-2014, 13:29   #16
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Piracy: end of the road in sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
PC games certainly have suffered heavily from piracy. It's a real problem especially given the massive development costs many games incur now.
Steam has massively reduced game piracy by offering a decent price and simultaneous game releases worldwide.

Some will always pirate but these services have shown us many are willing to turn to a paying model.

First game I cracked was Populous on the Amiga 500, using an action replay cartridge. Been fiddling with things I probably shouldn't be ever since

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Digitally imported, the list goes on.
Di.fm rocks! Been listening to their trance and hard house channels for about 15 years now. They started out being a couple of shoutcast streams you could listen to with winamp.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2014, 23:55   #17
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

But how will this stop the illegal immigrants and benefit scroungers who are costing millions of pounds in lost revenue from downloading?

They come over here (or dont) and sign up to vpns and download TV series, games and movies for free instead of paying. In doing so they cost us millions in lost sales revenue and taxes.

Nigel Farage should do something about this "something for nothing" culture.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 00:01   #18
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Only you could bring Farage in to a piracy thread. Obsessed

There is plenty of evidence that points to the fact that those who pirate actually spend much more on media and games. It's only the media companies who make these claims of losing millions through lost sales.
Old 10-05-2014, 00:05   #19
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Only you could bring Farage in to a piracy thread. Obsessed

There is plenty of evidence that points to the fact that those who pirate actually spend much more on media and games. It's only the media companies who make these claims of losing millions through lost sales.
I'm glad you got the irony.

There is also plenty of evidence that points to the fact that carnivores eat more meat than vegans.

I think you'll find the fact that "It's only the media companies who make these claims of losing millions through lost sales" is because greengrocers, decorators, plumbers, ice cream retailers etc and many thousands of other businesses who are not, bye and large, dependant on revenue streams from copyright are not really that interested in commenting on the matter.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:01   #20
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

That post is even more irrelevant than the last. Can I have some of what you have been smoking please?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:19   #21
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Di.fm rocks! Been listening to their trance and hard house channels for about 15 years now. They started out being a couple of shoutcast streams you could listen to with winamp.
I stream DI on my phone at work when i have a high level design to complete, it tends to relax me. I have been a subscriber for about 2 years now to get the better streams

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:46   #22
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
I'm glad you got the irony.

There is also plenty of evidence that points to the fact that carnivores eat more meat than vegans.

I think you'll find the fact that "It's only the media companies who make these claims of losing millions through lost sales" is because greengrocers, decorators, plumbers, ice cream retailers etc and many thousands of other businesses who are not, bye and large, dependant on revenue streams from copyright are not really that interested in commenting on the matter.
<Snigger>

Top notch posting though I suspect it's been lost in the comprehension.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Quote:
First game I cracked was Populous on the Amiga 500, using an action replay cartridge. Been fiddling with things I probably shouldn't be ever since
I should make very clear that I wasn't reverse engineering a game or indeed any other software covered by an EULA / copyright. Advertising that I am on an open forum would be a huge no-no.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 00:05   #23
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

piracy is absolutely vital to preview and filter out the absolute trash they want you to pay for.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 16:00   #24
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It's only the media companies who make these claims of losing millions through lost sales.
Who would you expect to make claims of losing millions through lost sales of pirated media if not the companies whose media is being pirated? Mr Angry's comment was facetious, but he is right in that the only people who are likely to complain about media being pirated are those experiencing the effects.

Personally, I don't think it's as clear cut as saying that the *only* reason media companies are losing money is piracy. It's certainly one reason, but not the only one.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 17:30   #25
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Who would you expect to make claims of losing millions through lost sales of pirated media if not the companies whose media is being pirated?
What I had meant to convey in the original comment was that they are the ones throwing around the made up figures for their losses, even though there is no real basis to them. Every illegal download doesn't equal a lost sale and in some cases piracy increases sales if you believe the independent studies not financed by the MPAA and RIAA.
Old 13-05-2014, 17:34   #26
tizmeinnit

Quote:
What I had meant to convey in the original comment was that they are the ones throwing around the made up figures for their losses, even though there is no real basis to them. Every illegal download doesn't equal a lost sale and in some cases piracy increases sales if you believe the independent studies not financed by the MPAA and RIAA.
99% of content I watch if I was not to source it elsewhere is either free to watch on tv( ok I would have to wait for it to air here but still free or at least covered by a sub) or would be bought out of the bargain bin. Even without usenet I would not spend £10 to go to the cinema or £15 for a blu ray or whatever skys movie package costs
Old 13-05-2014, 17:43   #27
Mr Angry
Inactive

Quote:
What I had meant to convey in the original comment was that they are the ones throwing around the made up figures for their losses, even though there is no real basis to them.
How do you know their figures are "made up"? What hard actual evidence do you have to prove your assertion?

Quote:
Every illegal download doesn't equal a lost sale...
If in the ordinary course of business your acquiring a copy of digital media requires you to make a purchace then if you are in posession of an unpaid for copy that constitutes a lost sale.
Old 13-05-2014, 18:10   #28
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
How do you know their figures are "made up"? What hard actual evidence do you have to prove your assertion?
Why would one need evidence when it is obvious they have no way of giving an accurate figure on any losses attributed to piracy.

Quote:
If in the ordinary course of business your acquiring a copy of digital media requires you to make a purchace then if you are in posession of an unpaid for copy that constitutes a lost sale.
It's only a lost sale if the person who is in possession of an unpaid copy would have paid for a copy otherwise. Many pirates download things they would never have purchased if pirated copies were not available.
Old 13-05-2014, 18:17   #29
Mr Angry
Inactive

Quote:
Why would one need evidence when it is obvious they have no way of giving an accurate figure on any losses attributed to piracy.
Because evidence is what we base things on. Anything else is, broadly speaking, conjecture, supposition, opinion based or, worst case scenario, plain wrong.

Quote:
It's only a lost sale if the person who is in possession of an unpaid copy would have paid for a copy otherwise. Many pirates download things they would never have purchased if pirated copies were not available.
Again. If in the ordinary course of business your acquiring a copy of digital media requires you to make a purchace then if you are in posession of an unpaid for copy that constitutes a lost sale.
Old 13-05-2014, 19:48   #30
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Again. If in the ordinary course of business your acquiring a copy of digital media requires you to make a purchace then if you are in posession of an unpaid for copy that constitutes a lost sale.
I have already "purchased" the TV programmes I watch - they are all on either sky or regular channels (that I already pay for) - sometimes they are on even before I get round to watching my copy. With the latest sky technology, I can even go back and watch old episodes.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote