Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Thinking of upgrading from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Thinking of upgrading from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300

Old 12-07-2017, 19:16   #1
Cromulent
Inactive

Services: VIVID 350, Sky Q
Cromulent is on a distinguished roadCromulent is on a distinguished road
Thinking of upgrading from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300

So I'm currently on the VIVID 200 Gamer package because I do some streaming on Twitch and I want to do some uploads to YouTube in the future but I was thinking of upgrading to VIVID 300 because the extra download would be useful.

According to this page VIVID 300 also doesn't have any traffic management on upload or download:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...agement-policy

but I was wondering if there were any other reasons why I shouldn't upgrade from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300 if I play a lot of online games and stream on Twitch and upload videos to YouTube. My main activity time on the internet is in the mornings and early afternoons if that makes a difference.

I was offered quite a good deal if I do upgrade so I'm very tempted to do it.

Thanks for any help.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2017, 19:19   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Thinking of upgrading from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300

All it will increase is your download, from 200 max, to 300 max.

Upload remains at 20M, and Vivid 200 Gamer isnt traffic managed either.

Do you really struggle with 200M download ? Seems unlikely to me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 22:56   #3
Cromulent
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

Well the extra download would help and I've been offered an upgrade for less money so I could save as well by going to VIVID 300.

It is just whether it has any restrictions on it that might effect YouTube video uploading and Twitch streaming that worries me.
Old 13-07-2017, 00:12   #4
dannybear
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD / VM 100Mb
dannybear can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Well the extra download would help and I've been offered an upgrade for less money so I could save as well by going to VIVID 300.

It is just whether it has any restrictions on it that might effect YouTube video uploading and Twitch streaming that worries me.
The Gamer 200 and 300 services are not in the broadband traffic management policy. This will ONLY kick in if you upload stuff 24/7. I do a fair bit of streaming each night 4/5 days, 3/4 hrs and to YouTube my self at different times of the days. I have not been hit by the traffic management system yet.
dannybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 10:40   #5
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

You will probably get 332Mb/21Mb because VM allow generously for overheads.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 14:22   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well equally, hes currently getting 220/21.

The point is not the exactly figures, he'll just get a D/L boost of 50%, while the U/L will remain the same, both have no traffic management.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 22:47   #7
Cromulent
Inactive

Seems like Virgin Media have completely removed their VIVID 200 Gamer package from their website. I wonder if that is because people were using too much upload and download bandwidth and the whole no traffic management thing was causing problems.

None of the current packages mention no traffic management which is important for me when Twitch streaming in prime time. I don't want to be traffic managed on upload while streaming to Twitch or uploading YouTube videos.

Been reading the other threads and might just wait for VIVID 350 to come out and upgrade to that. Would be a nice speed boost.
Old 12-08-2017, 00:35   #8
dannybear
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD / VM 100Mb
dannybear can only hope to improve

Hmm they changed that on the sly! I looked into it more. Only VIVID 300 has no traffic management! This only applies to new customers only from now on. As I am on VIVID 200 Gamer still and in contact (as upgraded from 150mb).

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broa...band-only.html

Last edited by dannybear; 12-08-2017 at 01:31.
dannybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I knew it wouldn't last.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 20:35   #10
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Those on Gamer tier will remain free of traffic management both upload and download. I had this confirmed last week by someone in retentions.

So far as understand it, any other tier INCLUDING VIVID 300 will now be subject to STM on the uploads.

Gamer 200 was the only one to push no traffic management as a feature on that tariff.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 09:46   #11
Cromulent
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye Up View Post
Those on Gamer tier will remain free of traffic management both upload and download. I had this confirmed last week by someone in retentions.

So far as understand it, any other tier INCLUDING VIVID 300 will now be subject to STM on the uploads.

Gamer 200 was the only one to push no traffic management as a feature on that tariff.
Guess I'll have to stick with my current package then. The only thing that would make me upgrade would be faster upload but I would like faster download as well.
Old 13-08-2017, 14:21   #12
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

So is the traffic management for vivid 300 only on the upload only or the download as well according to the below page there is no traffic management

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broa...vid-gamer.html

I would be interested to know what the limit is before you get traffic managed
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 14:55   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

As far as I'm aware there's no traffic management at all on Vivid 300 and above.

Gamer 200 has been made redundant by Vivid 300 and, indeed, 350.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 20:54   #14
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
As far as I'm aware there's no traffic management at all on Vivid 300 and above.

Gamer 200 has been made redundant by Vivid 300 and, indeed, 350.
It's very confusing, because VM have contradicted themselves on their website (again). On this page it says VIVID 200 Gamer and VIVID 300 are exempt from upstream - or downstream - management.

However on this page, VIVID 300 is explicitly listed as being subject to upstream management. So, who knows?
Old 14-08-2017, 21:15   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

unfortunately it will be the later. Up and till last week 200 gamer and homeworks were exempt from upstream traffic management so if 200 gamer is no longer available and a new entry has been made somewhere that now states homeworks is managed then the most recent update/information is going to be the most accurate and correct.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote