Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 08-04-2014, 17:05   #4441
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
If that's the case then l expect the auction to bring in up to 40% to 50% extra in rights fees for the Premier League and that in turn means monthly sports subscription fees will rise and keep on rising.
I can't see the business case for beIN Sports entering the UK market as they will be squeezed between two large players who have the benefits of pay-TV/broadband to subsidise them. I appreciate beIN is backed by the Qatar government and it has a presence in France but it does own PSG there. If they do, I suspect it will be in co-operation with BT. There have been forum rumours that beIN would buy Setanta or Premier Sports but I'm sure everyone talks to everyone else and not necessarily about merging.
Prices for Sky Sports traditionally go up yearly by a small amount unrelated to Sky's sporting rights costs so I expect this to continue unless it loses significant rights. The last auction saw Sky's Premier League bill go up by 71%. It was unable to pass the costs of this rise onto its subscribers and if rights went up again by this amount I would only expect the small regular rise again.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2014, 17:34   #4442
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I can't see the business case for beIN Sports entering the UK market as they will be squeezed between two large players who have the benefits of pay-TV/broadband to subsidise them. I appreciate beIN is backed by the Qatar government and it has a presence in France but it does own PSG there. If they do, I suspect it will be in co-operation with BT. There have been forum rumours that beIN would buy Setanta or Premier Sports but I'm sure everyone talks to everyone else and not necessarily about merging.
Prices for Sky Sports traditionally go up yearly by a small amount unrelated to Sky's sporting rights costs so I expect this to continue unless it loses significant rights. The last auction saw Sky's Premier League bill go up by 71%. It was unable to pass the costs of this rise onto its subscribers and if rights went up again by this amount I would only expect the small regular rise again.
It might not have passed it on that much on its own platform but that certainly won't be the case when it comes to Virgins platform and its sports subscribers.
Old 08-04-2014, 18:24   #4443
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It might not have passed it on that much on its own platform but that certainly won't be the case when it comes to Virgins platform and its sports subscribers.
It's not gone up by 71% on Virgin Media, I think it tends to go up by about 5%-10% a year. There's a few reasons why it can't pass the costs onto Virgin Media customers as you suggest it does:
1. Regulatory - the prices for the main channels are regulated by an Ofcom formula.
2. Sky's revenue from VM = number of subscribers x price. If it pushes up the price too much then the number of subscribers drops reducing its revenue.
3. If Sky was able to charge considerably more for Sky Sports whilst keeping the same number of subscribers, it would have done so already. Its owners, mainly pension funds (and Fox) would want it to maximise its profits so they can maximise theirs.
4. Pricing. Sky's pricing is pretty sophisticated, it undertakes extensive research so that it knows the most it can charge without losing significant numbers of subscribers. It's not, for example, a decorating business that looks at its costs then adds on 10%. Sky Sports' costs are pretty much fixed whether it broadcasts to one million or ten million people. It therefore needs to find the right point that gets the most revenue from a combination of price and subscriber numbers.
Old 08-04-2014, 18:48   #4444
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l did not say it had gone up by 71% on Virgin Media Andrew as l think you misunderstood me but if it goes up by 10% each year you are still talking about a near on £4 rise a month for sports and movies and when you add the regular broadband and phone rental yearly rises into it as well then that's a considerable rise in people monthly bills.
Old 08-04-2014, 18:57   #4445
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It's not gone up by 71% on Virgin Media, I think it tends to go up by about 5%-10% a year. There's a few reasons why it can't pass the costs onto Virgin Media customers as you suggest it does:
1. Regulatory - the prices for the main channels are regulated by an Ofcom formula.
2. Sky's revenue from VM = number of subscribers x price. If it pushes up the price too much then the number of subscribers drops reducing its revenue.
3. If Sky was able to charge considerably more for Sky Sports whilst keeping the same number of subscribers, it would have done so already. Its owners, mainly pension funds (and Fox) would want it to maximise its profits so they can maximise theirs.
4. Pricing. Sky's pricing is pretty sophisticated, it undertakes extensive research so that it knows the most it can charge without losing significant numbers of subscribers. It's not, for example, a decorating business that looks at its costs then adds on 10%. Sky Sports' costs are pretty much fixed whether it broadcasts to one million or ten million people. It therefore needs to find the right point that gets the most revenue from a combination of price and subscriber numbers.
It certainly does , blame me for the charges
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 19:44   #4446
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
l did not say it had gone up by 71% on Virgin Media Andrew as l think you misunderstood me but if it goes up by 10% each year you are still talking about a near on £4 rise a month for sports and movies and when you add the regular broadband and phone rental yearly rises into it as well then that's a considerable rise in people monthly bills.
Totally agree they all add up.
What I want to pedantically highlight is that Sky is very sophisticated in its subscription pricing. Its subscription pricing for Sky Sports is not related to the costs of its sports rights as these costs don't vary per subscriber, they're fixed costs. It charges to get the most revenue it can which is a combination of price per subscriber x number of subscribers.
If its costs rose by 100% next year it would still charge the same amount, because if it increased the price per subscriber by 100% it would get far fewer subscribers so its revenue would be a lot less.
However, it is able to sneak in small price rises each year as it knows people accept a small annual rise, as their research shows this.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It certainly does , blame me for the charges
Old 09-04-2014, 07:46   #4447
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
I would suggest that the business case is less about short term profit over the course of one rights cycle and more about gaining influence over the Premier League. The most significant opposition to a winter World Cup is from the Premier League (Qatar don't want one either but it might be the only way they keep hold of it), Qatar also want to stage an off season tournament consisting of Premier League teams and there has been talk about the possibility of a regular season match being played abroad, the so called "game39", which refuses to go away despite mass opposition.

On top of that, of course, is the fact that bein is a global network of channels, so might stand to gain from efficiencies by expanding. It's very possible that they are already in a position to produce Premier League matches for less than either Sky or BT.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:17   #4448
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I would suggest that the business case is less about short term profit over the course of one rights cycle and more about gaining influence over the Premier League. The most significant opposition to a winter World Cup is from the Premier League (Qatar don't want one either but it might be the only way they keep hold of it), Qatar also want to stage an off season tournament consisting of Premier League teams and there has been talk about the possibility of a regular season match being played abroad, the so called "game39", which refuses to go away despite mass opposition.

On top of that, of course, is the fact that bein is a global network of channels, so might stand to gain from efficiencies by expanding. It's very possible that they are already in a position to produce Premier League matches for less than either Sky or BT.
Interesting points, thanks for posting.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:35   #4449
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/...xtend-coverage

Quote:
Sky Sports will continue to show live coverage of the Masters from Augusta National thanks to a new multi-year agreement announced today.

The deal means that from 2015, Sky Sports will continue to be the only place in the UK to watch all four days of golf's first Major of the year.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 17:39   #4450
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Lets hope that it went out to a transparent tendering process.
Old 10-04-2014, 19:01   #4451
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

BBC: European Rugby Cup: Heineken Cup replacement gets go-ahead.

The new European Rugby Champions Cup to replace the Heineken Cup has been given the go-ahead to start next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26981154

Who got what?

Full information at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...xt-season.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:11   #4452
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Good news but don't expect the two bitter rivals to be holding hands as one suspects there will be no ceasefire when it comes to other sports rights which will be coming up soon.
Old 17-04-2014, 09:47   #4453
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Rupert Murdoch believed to be involved in leading bid for Channel 5.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...-bid-channel-5
Old 23-04-2014, 12:36   #4454
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Some boxing added to the Premier Sports line-up. Tonight at 9pm, live from South Africa, they are showing Manchesters Martin Murray taking on Ishmael Tetteh.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 12:52   #4455
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Some boxing added to the Premier Sports line-up. Tonight at 9pm, live from South Africa, they are showing Manchesters Martin Murray taking on Ishmael Tetteh.
Not for us l am afraid.