Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Trowbridge call centre to close?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Trowbridge call centre to close?
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 14:27   #46
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Trowbridge call centre to close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Linux is totally unsupported as the are to many variations plus we are not trained to use terminal, so as long as you know where everything is as per a windows machine and do not mention that you are using Linux you will get support as it should just work.

Now if you tell us you are using Linux and we cannot get you to do certain checks then you will be advised to borrow a windows computer and to callback.

Also all non English versions of Windows are unsupported again unless as above you can follow instruction to the letter and go to the areas on the computer as requested.
Depends on the tech I suppose. I had a triple booting system once, one HDD was on a linux partition with Debian I think installed. The tech was more than happy to run through some init 3 commands to see if it was indeed the modem or UBR at fault. This was a while ago though.

I know the official stance is to not help people with Linux, but unfortunately they need to start supporting soon, more and more cheap Linux PC's are starting to flood the market just for the use of business, schoolwork and general browsing of the net.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
And UK staff will? Or will they just be told to follow the script?

I think you're making a lot of assumptions.
Not at all, I am basing this on experience. UK staff will actually try to help, if they do not understand they will go check. If they can't find the answer they say we will call you back soon, and they do with the answer. India do not, and use the call back as an excuse just to get the next person on hold.

But how can you say they don't when you never call them much for help, wait till your service is so bad for months that you have to deal with both sets of technical help and I guarantee every time you call you hope for the UK staff.

Quote:
If VM do not officially support Mac or Linux then no-one will be allowed to officially help you. A UK tech might be able to, un-officially. but that's not the same thing.
See previous post.

Quote:
How is quoting exactly, word for word, a single paragraph "manipulating" anything?

Also, I look forward to your trying to tell "Masque" that he's nit-picking, or whatever, now that he has disproved a lot of what you posted as the nonsense I thought it was
There is a difference Carl, Masque actually keeps things in context, while you miss out a few key words from the start of a sentence and use it in another context. Hence why you can't quote a complete sentence when you do or else your entire fabricated context won't work. And this you have done plenty of times in various forums etc.
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2011, 15:03   #47
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post
Depends on the tech I suppose. I had a triple booting system once, one HDD was on a linux partition with Debian I think installed. The tech was more than happy to run through some init 3 commands to see if it was indeed the modem or UBR at fault. This was a while ago though.
Which is what I mentioned previously. Even though the OS is not officially supported some techs (whether here or abroad) may have the knowledge to help.

Quote:
I know the official stance is to not help people with Linux, but unfortunately they need to start supporting soon, more and more cheap Linux PC's are starting to flood the market just for the use of business, schoolwork and general browsing of the net.
You may well be right. Does VM Business support Linux? The problem of the huge variation in distros is still an issue.

Quote:
There is a difference Carl, Masque actually keeps things in context, while you miss out a few key words from the start of a sentence and use it in another context.
I edit quotes to the bits I want to respond to. In this case the start of the sentence was irrelevant to the point I was making.
Old 07-05-2011, 15:06   #48
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I edit quotes to the bits I want to respond to. In this case the start of the sentence was irrelevant to the point I was making.
You have finally admitted it. The point here is your point is not valid since you cut up a sentence to suit your own point. If the start of the sentence did not suit it, perhaps the whole sentence in its entirety is not compatible with your point.

You can't dissect a sentence and use choice words like a bleeding Journalist, doesn't work like that.
Old 07-05-2011, 15:17   #49
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

As the are many many variants in the Linux stable that would be doubtful as we would likely only support one version and considering the many versions out there it would not be a viable option, just think about how many browsers are out there and we only officially support IE and Safari as browsers at present.

As for an agent supporting you over the phone that is fine as long as he does not try taking you into terminal or any other settings as the O/S is totally unsupported and any agent found supporting a customer with an unsupported issue would be disciplined.
Old 07-05-2011, 15:20   #50
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You have finally admitted it. The point here is your point is not valid since you cut up a sentence to suit your own point.
No. I only quote relevant bits. There's a big difference.

The whole quote, with the bit I used in bold, was:

Quote:
I have said in the past 1 UK agent is worth 25 of the Indian's. Now lets say 2000 indians are employed, thats 80 UK agents. I would prefer the 80 who understand good English skills and do not follow a check list, do not lie and just don't order you things even when you say no to them.
Now, give that my point was that, whether in the UK or Overseas, tech. support people would still use checklists, was the rest of the sentence absolutely essential to understanding my point? No, of course it wasn't. The numbers were irrelevant, the "understand good English" was irrelvant. my comment was only regarding the use of check-lists.

Perhaps I assumed a level of understanding of use of English Language that is beyond you. If so, I apologise.

Quote:
If the start of the sentence did not suit it, perhaps the whole sentence in its entirety is not compatible with your point.
No. It was just not absolutely necessary to include it.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Quote:
As the are many many variants in the Linux stable that would be doubtful ...
Now now. Don't start using logic and common sense on here. You know how it confuses some people
Old 07-05-2011, 15:22   #51
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Which is what I mentioned previously. Even though the OS is not officially supported some techs (whether here or abroad) may have the knowledge to help.
It is not a matter of knowledge it is just an unsupported O/S and not worth the potential hassle from management.

Most Linux users should know their way around the O/S and should have no problems following instructions intended for a windows user.
Old 07-05-2011, 15:26   #52
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Well I was just trying to be generous to VM's Tech Support staff
Old 07-05-2011, 16:39   #53
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Well I was just trying to be generous to VM's Tech Support staff
I run Windows 7 at present but prior to this I had my previous machine running Linux for a few years and have quite a few distros around so can run or install about 6 different types if required as I have enough space on my drives, but I am still not able to support Linux.
Old 07-05-2011, 18:42   #54
nick2xuk
Inactive

nick2xuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As for an agent supporting you over the phone that is fine as long as he does not try taking you into terminal or any other settings as the O/S is totally unsupported and any agent found supporting a customer with an unsupported issue would be disciplined.
I work on firstline for an ISP and I'm really glad that we don't have our hands tied like that, we are actively encouraged to do everything we can to help the customer.

It doesn't matter if they are using Windows/Mac/Linux with any combination of browser, we should do as much as we possibly can to assist them with their issue. Often using terminal etc. to help diagnose problems and then resolve them.

I'd feel pretty rubbish if i was disciplined for helping a customer out!
Old 07-05-2011, 21:58   #55
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2xuk View Post
I work on firstline for an ISP and I'm really glad that we don't have our hands tied like that, we are actively encouraged to do everything we can to help the customer.

It doesn't matter if they are using Windows/Mac/Linux with any combination of browser, we should do as much as we possibly can to assist them with their issue. Often using terminal etc. to help diagnose problems and then resolve them.

I'd feel pretty rubbish if i was disciplined for helping a customer out!
How can we honestly support all the different variations of Linux out there, we would spend more time googling each version so it makes sense not to support those operating systems.

We also only officially support IE on a PC and Safari on a MAC, but we can usually get people back online with most browsers.
Old 07-05-2011, 22:46   #56
nick2xuk
Inactive

nick2xuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How can we honestly support all the different variations of Linux out there, we would spend more time googling each version so it makes sense not to support those operating systems.

We also only officially support IE on a PC and Safari on a MAC, but we can usually get people back online with most browsers.
Yeah I understand that, it wouldn't be viable supporting every version of Linux but if we have used the particular OS they are using then we are encouraged to help as much as possible, go the extra mile etc.

My point was more the fact that you can be disciplined for helping a customer if you were helping them with an "unsupported issue", I can see the reasons having such rules implemented, but wouldn't like to work under those kind of guidelines.

Much like how some other ISPs have strict rules for getting customers off the phone within 3 minutes and other nonsense - difficult to deliver good technical/customer support if you are pressured to keep to guidelines like that.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:33   #57
DABhand
Inactive

@Masque - The Linux Kernel has been up to now been the same for most builds of Linux Operating Systems. The only difference between say Debian, Ubuntu, redhat etc is the GUI, the core system commands are global. Like INIT 3 and 5 and so forth.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27   #58
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
@Masque - The Linux Kernel has been up to now been the same for most builds of Linux Operating Systems. The only difference between say Debian, Ubuntu, redhat etc is the GUI, the core system commands are global. Like INIT 3 and 5 and so forth.
It is not for me to say that we should support other O/S's as it is Virginmedia who set the Support Scope not us and we have to abide by what they require us to work with, most ISP's work in a similar way.

If you use Linux and need to ring us I expect that you would not be stupid enough to inform the agent of that fact as some agents would say they cannot help as your O/S is out of scope.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:35   #59
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingy View Post
Cheers DF, pretty sure I'll still be lurking around here.
Just to add my voice, sorry to hear your news, hope you get sorted soon.
Old 12-10-2012, 20:36   #60
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

You do realise that this thread is more than a year dead?