Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Old 19-12-2011, 19:02   #91
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I posted the evidence, in my every day living costs.

Its enough for me. If you dont want to believe it then I leave it at that.
Your evidence was
Quote:
food up by huge amounts this year alone, food I regurly buy has gone up about 30% and even managed to go up during a supposed promotion.

electric/gas up by huge amounts.
Strange - the food we regularly buy hasn't gone up by that sort of figure (and we are shopping for a family of 3-4 (depending on the time of the year), and we shop at Morrisons every week) - our weekly bill has probably gone up from around £85 per week to about £90 per week in the last year.

And as for electricity and gas bills, ours has gone up around 15%, but we now have the rate fixed for two years, so that will even out over the years.

Somehow, our evidence seems to contradict each others (in parts) - perhaps that's why CPI is taken from a basket of around 600 items, so that outliers don't skew the figures....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2011, 19:20   #92
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I know enough on this forum yes.

to you if someone posts the bbcs or any other media outlet point of view that qualifies as fact.
The difference being that while they do have a reputation for being left wing, the BBC do have a reputation for researching their news stories well. You, with all due respect, can make no such claim. Neither can I. We don't know each other well enough to know how little or much research the other does.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 19:30   #93
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Where is that reputation from stuart.

You seem to have a misguided view on the bbc, several of their stories have little research and are based on a single person's views only.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 08:03   #94
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
under UK law you need one person on the train, in the first place!
Laws can bee changed, especially if such a change can save UKGOV/TFL LOTS of money
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 09:32   #95
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16330372

Quote:
Travellers on London's Underground network face disruption as drivers belonging to the union Aslef stage a 24-hour strike.
Quote:
The strike is expected to affect shoppers heading for the Boxing Day sales and football fans.
Quote:
Transport for London has warned of "severe disruption" and urged travellers to check its website before starting their journeys.
Not the type of transport chaos you want on your Boxing Day trip is it.
Old 26-12-2011, 10:34   #96
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

This might cause problems, but l am in agreement with the tube strike, They are working a bank holiday and therefore entitled to what ever payment there should be.

This does cause disruption to passengers, but LU are at fault for not talking to them, and don't forget when LU put prices up for travel, does anyone complain.

This is what annoys me, businesses put prices up but my wages have been frozen for two years.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 10:44   #97
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
This might cause problems, but l am in agreement with the tube strike, They are working a bank holiday and therefore entitled to what ever payment there should be.

This does cause disruption to passengers, but LU are at fault for not talking to them, and don't forget when LU put prices up for travel, does anyone complain.

This is what annoys me, businesses put prices up but my wages have been frozen for two years.
Total Rubbish and BS..They couldn't get the day off legitimately so they went on strike to get it.

I'm fed up with the gravy train that is public holidays.Because Christmas was on a Sunday many people in the public service get Tuesday off as a holiday as well which means public services are closed that day as well.The rest of the world just has to suck it up and work public holidays.
Old 26-12-2011, 11:07   #98
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

They already get substantial extra pay for working bank holidays .Many private sector workers do no even get any extra pay or days of in lue for working bank holidays
Old 26-12-2011, 11:12   #99
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Triple pay and a day off in lieu is a total urine-extraction. Replace the strikers with people who would be willing to do the job for a more reasonable rate. No sympathy from me.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 11:16   #100
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Total Rubbish and BS..They couldn't get the day off legitimately so they went on strike to get it.

I'm fed up with the gravy train that is public holidays.Because Christmas was on a Sunday many people in the public service get Tuesday off as a holiday as well which means public services are closed that day as well.The rest of the world just has to suck it up and work public holidays.
Many but not all i am working or did work on christmas day,boxing day,new years eve,and new years day,as well as yes that Tuesday as well,!and i work in the public services the branch i work in the NHS, the public service has still been open 24/7 ie they have not been closed.

Mind you i do not suppose many teachers work bank holidays ,or council office staff so no sucking up and working for them sorts of public service employees.

However i think the tube drivers have a point not about the money however but about the day off,we are now a 24/7 kind of society wether we like it or not (nobody asked me if i would like a 27/7 culture),i do think wherever possible people should be given the option to work or not,but triple pay is a no,no.
Old 26-12-2011, 13:36   #101
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Where is that reputation from stuart.

You seem to have a misguided view on the bbc, several of their stories have little research and are based on a single person's views only.
I don't have a misguided view of the BBC at all. I know they don't always get things right, but you appear to be posting your own point of view as fact.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote:
They work a bank holiday, they are entitled to extra payment. Not the triple time they are asking for.

Quote:

You appear to be siding with the strikers, but if LU agree to this, prices (for the commuters) will go up. You day the commuters don't complain, but they do. The problem most commuters have is that they don't have a choice but to use the tube.

You are complaining that businesses put up their own prices, but your own wages are frozen, yet you are asking millions of commuters to put up with the same situation, because you think the strikers are right to act in their own interests.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 14:34   #102
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
They already get substantial extra pay for working bank holidays .Many private sector workers do no even get any extra pay or days of in lue for working bank holidays
that doesnt make it ok.
Old 26-12-2011, 14:42   #103
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
that doesnt make it ok.
doesn't make what ok ?
Old 26-12-2011, 14:45   #104
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

doesnt make it ok to not pay extra for working bank holidays just because not every company does that.

I have worked for a company before where overtime not only was not paid extra but was compulsary, I have never seenn so many unhappy workers in one place and there is no doubt productivity was effected by work morale there.
Old 26-12-2011, 14:52   #105
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Many but not all i am working or did work on christmas day,boxing day,new years eve,and new years day,as well as yes that Tuesday as well,!and i work in the public services the branch i work in the NHS, the public service has still been open 24/7 ie they have not been closed.

Mind you i do not suppose many teachers work bank holidays ,or council office staff so no sucking up and working for them sorts of public service employees.

However i think the tube drivers have a point not about the money however but about the day off,we are now a 24/7 kind of society wether we like it or not (nobody asked me if i would like a 27/7 culture),i do think wherever possible people should be given the option to work or not,but triple pay is a no,no.
My husband as a public servant is working today as MOD security..A public holiday but he will not get a day extra off in lieu.He worked the last two Christmas as well and got no time off in lieu either.It just happened to be his turn on the roster.It being a leap year next year he will repeat this year's roster again..Perhaps in 1213 we might get the whole of Christmas as a holiday.

And as for teachers well every public holiday is shovelled into the school holidays apart from May Day or Whitsun depending on when Easter falls.