Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 22:34   #1786
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Seeing as you know all about what's going on in the deepest recesses of government i'm surprised you aren't running brexit yourself ,after all reading your posts you got all the answers and know exactly what needs to done .

In 5 yrs time when the UK is independent and still chugging along quite nicely i'm going to remind you of all the negative,scaremongering you've been doing of late
I'd turn the job down even if it were offered. In common with many I have no interest in it.

I do nothing special beyond reading things that don't confirm my own biases. It was doing such things that made me change my mind about the whole thing from being vehemently Brexit.

It even taught me some stuff about WTO membership, trade deals, most favoured nation status, etc, so I know why businesses are so concerned.

Maybe give it a shot some time.

Pretty funny seeing you comment on how the UK will be fine in 5 years, suggesting you expect no negative impact at all, while the post you quoted above mine was a guy expecting the pain to last 5+ years and potentially cost him personally half a million. Divergent opinions are always more interesting.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That's a trap. The Japanese companies for example have talked previously about a transitional deal but not to 'await a trade agreement' but to slowly move operations to Europe. It's costly and disruptive for them to do so in the space of a year or two so they want a long goodbye.
I wouldn't be surprised, but do you really see that much of a choice? Trade deals, even covering just goods, will take years. Financial services equivalence requires the EU's agreement, passporting Single Market access.
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2016, 22:36   #1787
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Believe it or not, I didn't vote for brexit expecting the economy to boom. I'm expecting to lose a considerable amount of money in the medium term (up to half a million). I voted out because I didn't want Great Britain to be controlled by an anti-democratic unelected cabal.
We will have to accept the consequences of our vote. The country will pull through but it will probably take 5+ years to get through the worst of it and once we have done that we will be prosperous once again and free of the EU's malevolent influence.
I voted out for purely patriotic reasons, which is ironic since I'm not even English but this country took my countrymen and parents in, gave them a place to live and jobs.
Are you English? If you are then it's ironic as it seems that I'm more loyal to this country than you are. If that is the case then shame on you.
Actually, I'm British.

I was born in Scotland, but have spent the best part of the last 40 odd years in England (apart from a lot of the the time I spent as a member of HM Armed Forces, but obviously I am not loyal to my country because I voted to remain).

Simplistic divisive statements from any part of the spectrum don't help progress a solution to a very complex issue.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-10-2016, 22:39   #1788
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Does it ever strike you that his belief Brexit is going to cause economic damage and that the UK might actually be less wealthy outside the EU is just as genuine as your belief it will be fine?

What possible reason would he, after the vote, have to continue to scaremonger and lie? It's because he (we) aren't and it's a honestly held belief. Just as it was before the vote.

There is no need for that kind of talk and certainly when he hasn't directed any animosity towards you. You wouldn't like it if he talked to you like that.

People need to calm down here. The last page of posts has gotten quite personal.
I'm sorry Damien but you seriously need to read his posts ,all he does is belittle anyone with a different idea to his own ,it's what he does

Old 05-10-2016, 22:43   #1789
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I'm sorry Damien but you seriously need to read his posts ,all he does is belittle anyone with a different idea to his own ,it's what he does
You call it belittling, I call it having a constructive mature debate
Old 05-10-2016, 22:46   #1790
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I voted out for purely patriotic reasons, which is ironic since I'm not even English but this country took my countrymen and parents in, gave them a place to live and jobs.
I assume you're British or a citizen of the commonwealth otherwise you wouldn't have been able to vote?
Old 05-10-2016, 22:47   #1791
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I know that I agree with him more than I do with you...but I genuinely don't think he's belittling anyone. It always helps in debate to provide links to information otherwise facts can be disputed which in not constructive. Ignitinonet provides links in bucketloads.
Old 05-10-2016, 22:48   #1792
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

Maybe give it a shot some time.
I do ,all the time ,trouble is you don't approve of the stuff i and others read so you constantly belittle our opinions

Quote:
Pretty funny seeing you comment on how the UK will be fine in 5 years, suggesting you expect no negative impact at all, while the post you quoted above mine was a guy expecting the pain to last 5+ years and potentially cost him personally half a million. Divergent opinions are always more interesting.
I have never said that at all ,i have no idea what negative impact their may or may not be and neither do you ,it may well be that Brexit proves to be the best thing UKplc has ever done or the good old USofA will once again send the world into the biggest recession it's ever seen ,you don't know and i don't know but rest assured the best thing we can do is react to what we do know and that is that the EU is failing and failing fast

Old 05-10-2016, 23:00   #1793
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I do ,all the time ,trouble is you don't approve of the stuff i and others read so you constantly belittle our opinions
How does anyone except you know what you read? If anyone knows that then they're probably working for GCHQ and not participating on internet forums!
Old 05-10-2016, 23:04   #1794
RizzyKing

Yes ignit is good with links he provided many to support his leave position when he truly believed in that until a few days before the vote when he changed and became a remain supporter and some of the links and info he puts forward now he rubbished before so being honest i don't know how to take him or what he truly believes in. Brexit is happening there is no going back and the process isn't going to be reversed so it's time to make the best of it and yes there will be difficult times ahead but lets not pretend that being a member of the EU was all roses and unicorns because there were more then a few difficult times when we were a member.

In the mid to longterm i believe the UK will prosper more out of the EU then in it and i don't think the EU has much of a longterm future I'd be stunned if it still exists in thirty years. We are far from the only nation with big concerns about the EU or it's direction and those concerns are systematically ignored by brussels and the EU leadership with nothing more then hot air given to the subject of reform but never doing anything meaningful that's why many in the UK voted to leave.

End of the day no one on here knows exactly whats going on or what one side or the other really knows or even how the negotiations will go it's all a load of hot air till things start. Some of us may be right some of us may be wrong i think it's more likely the real situation will be a mix of good and bad on both sides with neither getting everything they want.

Old 05-10-2016, 23:08   #1795
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Believe it or not, I didn't vote for brexit expecting the economy to boom. I'm expecting to lose a considerable amount of money in the medium term (up to half a million). I voted out because I didn't want Great Britain to be controlled by an anti-democratic unelected cabal.
We will have to accept the consequences of our vote. The country will pull through but it will probably take 5+ years to get through the worst of it and once we have done that we will be prosperous once again and free of the EU's malevolent influence.
Are you English? If you are then it's ironic as it seems that I'm more loyal to this country than you are. If that is the case then shame on you.
Millions of patriots voted to remain. They voted for the UK to continue punching above its weight in Europe. They voted for the UK to continue to veto matters they disagreed with like a single European army. They voted for the UK to continue to influence legislation that will impact it whether in or out of Europe. They voted to listen to NATO when they said that Europe was safer with the UK in the EU. They listened to the leader of the free world, President Obama, when he said as a loyal friend of the UK that the US would prefer us to remain in the EU championing our shared values.
Old 05-10-2016, 23:12   #1796
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I'd be stunned if it still exists in thirty years.
I'll be stunned if it still exists in 10 yrs!
Old 05-10-2016, 23:14   #1797
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Yes ignit is good with links he provided many to support his leave position when he truly believed in that until a few days before the vote when he changed and became a remain supporter and some of the links and info he puts forward now he rubbished before so being honest i don't know how to take him or what he truly believes in. Brexit is happening there is no going back and the process isn't going to be reversed so it's time to make the best of it and yes there will be difficult times ahead but lets not pretend that being a member of the EU was all roses and unicorns because there were more then a few difficult times when we were a member.

In the mid to longterm i believe the UK will prosper more out of the EU then in it and i don't think the EU has much of a longterm future I'd be stunned if it still exists in thirty years. We are far from the only nation with big concerns about the EU or it's direction and those concerns are systematically ignored by brussels and the EU leadership with nothing more then hot air given to the subject of reform but never doing anything meaningful that's why many in the UK voted to leave.

End of the day no one on here knows exactly whats going on or what one side or the other really knows or even how the negotiations will go it's all a load of hot air till things start. Some of us may be right some of us may be wrong i think it's more likely the real situation will be a mix of good and bad on both sides with neither getting everything they want.
Never say never, things can always change, after all you voted for change

We are where we are, I don't agree with it, but I certainly don't want it to be worse
Old 06-10-2016, 07:14   #1798
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Millions of patriots voted to remain. They voted for the UK to continue punching above its weight in Europe. They voted for the UK to continue to veto matters they disagreed with like a single European army. They voted for the UK to continue to influence legislation that will impact it whether in or out of Europe. They voted to listen to NATO when they said that Europe was safer with the UK in the EU. They listened to the leader of the free world, President Obama, when he said as a loyal friend of the UK that the US would prefer us to remain in the EU championing our shared values.
is it 1st of April ?
Old 06-10-2016, 08:33   #1799
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
When? The last time you tried providing 'evidence' to me it was from a campaign group and quite literally included nothing negative to the campaign. Other than that from things like the obsession with being in the EEA preventing our trading outside it to a bunch of other things I feel like everyone is just far too entrenched.

---------- Post added at 08:31 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

Quote:
I have never said that at all ,i have no idea what negative impact their may or may not be and neither do you ,it may well be that Brexit proves to be the best thing UKplc has ever done or the good old USofA will once again send the world into the biggest recession it's ever seen
Quote:
In 5 yrs time when the UK is independent and still chugging along quite nicely i'm going to remind you of all the negative,scaremongering you've been doing of late
Glad you agree that there's no guarantee. I doubt I'll be on here in 5 years going by my planned schedule. Certainly not enough to be concerning myself with Current Affairs

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
is it 1st of April ?
Every day is the 1st of April in Express-land.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:35   #1800
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
is it 1st of April ?
I thought it was yesterday when I heard Amber Rudd's speech. Then I listened to this. https://www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/...8/?pnref=story
Closed Thread