Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is supermarket fuel good enough?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is supermarket fuel good enough?

Old 28-03-2011, 18:51   #31
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Is supermarket fuel good enough?

I never said he was a bad mechanic.

I said, unless he has performed experiments in controlled conditions, he is not in possession of the information needed to state that supermarket fuel has caused the damage he has observed.

You say they 'see the damage done to high pressure fuel pumps and turbos by supermarket fuels on a daily basis' - not correct. They see damage. They do not see what caused the damage, unless they have exhaustive data over an extended period, for example two pumps side by side, one known to have been run exclusively on supermarket fuels (or even mostly), and one exclusively run on branded fuels.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2011, 19:05   #32
dazzer89
cf.addict

Services: VM 50meg and SKY TV HD+.
dazzer89 is on a distinguished roaddazzer89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I never said he was a bad mechanic.

I said, unless he has performed experiments in controlled conditions, he is not in possession of the information needed to state that supermarket fuel has caused the damage he has observed.

You say they 'see the damage done to high pressure fuel pumps and turbos by supermarket fuels on a daily basis' - not correct. They see damage. They do not see what caused the damage, unless they have exhaustive data over an extended period, for example two pumps side by side, one known to have been run exclusively on supermarket fuels (or even mostly), and one exclusively run on branded fuels.
Never said you called him a bad mechanic.
dazzer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 19:12   #33
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer89 View Post
Never said you called him a bad mechanic.
Sure you didn't.

Anyway, I notice you're no longer complaining about supermarkets putting bio in their diesel. Could this be because you are now aware that your favourite branded diesel is also 7% bio?

Given the care you claim to take over what you put in your Merc's fuel tank, I'm surprised you didn't already know that all diesel is now up to 7% bio.
Old 28-03-2011, 19:16   #34
dazzer89
cf.addict

Services: VM 50meg and SKY TV HD+.
dazzer89 is on a distinguished roaddazzer89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sure you didn't.

Anyway, I notice you're no longer complaining about supermarkets putting bio in their diesel. Could this be because you are now aware that your favourite branded diesel is also 7% bio?

Given the care you claim to take over what you put in your Merc's fuel tank, I'm surprised you didn't already know that all diesel is now up to 7% bio.
Bio is bio it depends what you are mixing it with? I have no problem with Shell or any other of the mainstream garages like BP, ESSO, Total etc etc.
dazzer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 19:35   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Bio is bio it depends what you are mixing it with? I have no problem with Shell or any other of the mainstream garages like BP, ESSO, Total etc etc.
Which is not what you said the other day:

Quote:
Supemarket fuel is of low grade and has added bio diesel like reclaimed oil.

Get two diesel cars and run them for 10,000 miles, one on Supermarket fuel and the other on branded like Shell or Esso.
Old 28-03-2011, 19:41   #36
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

At the end of the day I'm saving a few pounds when I fill up at Tesco and get club card points too so that is a good thing.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 19:51   #37
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Of course it is.

I have opted for supermarket fuel at every available opportunity since I got my first car, and that's nearly 20 years ago now. I have never experienced a damaged fuel system or had any other part wear out in a way attributable to inferior fuel.
Old 28-03-2011, 19:55   #38
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

As it has already been said in this thread all tankers fill up from the same bunkers and the is no difference in the quality if the was it would have been on the lies of Watchdog by now.

Supermarkets would not do this as the bad publicity would affect instore sales.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 20:14   #39
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
As it has already been said in this thread all tankers fill up from the same bunkers and the is no difference in the quality if the was it would have been on the lies of Watchdog by now.

Supermarkets would not do this as the bad publicity would affect instore sales.

I agree ,remember this ,and the lengths that tesco and morrison went to ,to compensate the customers affected even though it wasn't their fault

Quote:
The contaminated fuel was eventually traced back to four tanks at a Vopak storage facility in West Thurrock, which fuel supplier Harvest Energy said contained "unusually high levels of silicon".
Harvest Energy shares tank facilities at the depot with another oil company, Greenergy, which supplies both Tesco and Morrisons. In a statement, Greenergy said a component understood to have been used by Harvest Energy in the production of unleaded petrol had tested positive for excess levels of silicon.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6421783.stm
Old 28-03-2011, 20:56   #40
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Now imagine if they were thought to have damaged engines with by adding Bio Fuel to the mix.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 21:01   #41
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Now imagine if they were thought to have damaged engines with by adding Bio Fuel to the mix.
exactly ,i will not deny that there are differencies but nothing that will harm an engine ,it's like the difference between heinz ketchup and tesco own brand ,both ketchup ,but slightly different niether will harm you
Old 28-03-2011, 22:50   #42
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

All the pumps will also also have a sticker next to the nozzle confirming the EN/BS standards number that applies to the fuel.

The tank monitoring equipment in the garage will monitor the water content of the under ground tanks. Also, water and petrol don't mix, the petrol will float (or the water will sink) in the tank. The weights and measures people will also sample the fuel as well as ensure the pumps are callibrated correctly.

The only damage I saw in 5 years at working at a filling station was when people put the wrong fuel in their car and drove off without realising.

There were times when the wrong fuel was dropped by the tanker, but the internal controls and procedures would pick this up before we re-opened after a delivery.
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 14:20   #43
RUSTY
Inactive

Services: ntl 10Mg broadband, ntl XL samsung TV drive V+ talk unlimited RF Mod powered scart Tivo HTC Desir
RUSTY is on a distinguished roadRUSTY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali View Post
Petrol is petrol is petrol. I used to work in a supermarket petrol station and we used to buy our petrol from Texaco, Amoco and Total. It all comes out of the same pipe at the terminal. The supermarkets are able to charge a little less because they (well used to) market it as a loss leader.
This information is 100% correct.
RUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 12:59   #44
TJS
Inactive

Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
TJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really nice
Wink Re: Is supermarket fuel good enough?

Right, I know alot of you are saying its Bull-****

But, we have a Renault Clio Dynamique (06 plate) 1.6 litre + a Smart For Two 0.8 litre (05 plate) and they both seem to be affected when we use supermarket petrol, Well Morrisons petrol to be precise.

The renault clio, when we fill up at esso averages 45 - 48 MP/G and generally feels relatively responsive for a car of its size + engine size, when we've used morrisons fuel, we're lucky to get 35 - 37 MP/G, and there seems to be almost a lag from when the accelerator is pressed to when the car actually does anything, this has been tried a couple of times switching fuels.

On the smart car, using esso fuel we can achieve around 52 - 60 MP/G or about 250 miles per tank (20 litres) On the morrisons fuel it drops sharply to 35 - 50 MPG and we achieve about 150 miles per tank of petrol. and the car seems much less responsive.

Now i'm not saying this is the case with all but for the extra bit of money you usually have to pay verses supermarket from my experience is actually worth it.

Plus, we actually pay less for esso then we do for morrisons, £1.25 per litre V £1.32 last time we filled, but I think thats an unusual case because the esso garage is on a main road through our village with morrisons being the next one down so they under-cut to stop people filling there as much when doing shopping
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 13:16   #45
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Plus, we actually pay less for esso then we do for morrisons, £1.25 per litre V £1.32 last time we filled, but I think thats an unusual case because the esso garage is on a main road through our village with morrisons being the next one down so they under-cut to stop people filling there as much when doing shopping
Blimey when did you last fill up? Wish i had somewhere within a 200 mile radius that supplied petrol at £1.25 per litre
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote