Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 23:57   #91
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
10 million potential viewers and that is all the channel is achieving? It's been advertised to death too!
10 Million ? Not very realistic.

Skys main channel (Sky 1) only gets 1 million for its top programme. Once you get down the the 5th or so programme, then its 500,000.

A programme of limited appeal (a repeat) on at a late evening spot isnt going to attract many viewers - great for dramatic headlines tho. A much better guide of hows its really doing will be to check out its top 10 on BARB in about 2 months time.

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2011, 00:03   #92
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

love the spin of Mike Darcey from sky what a load of piffle they need advertising revenue as much any. If they did not need it then why every sky channel including subscription based channels are not broadcasted like BBC. Go SKY if you dont need it then drop it you know why you cant you need it.

Thats right Mike Darcey you need revenue streams to pay for all those programmes you purchase and help pay all those premierstars wages. Why is that when advertisement revenue streams bottomed out in your VM spat with those pulled channels. Your company came back with your tails between the legs begging it back with VM.

You love the spin they spend possible million or more advertising this channel like mad.

Yet despite 10m catchment cant get its self off the ground while they killed established channels. I firmly believe they will have to rethink its strategy. I think you can say goodbye to it going subscription later on to be fair that would be distasteful to sky subscribers.

I no doubt if I was virgin would offer bottom ratecard its not popular enough to deserve top subscription from VM. Not worth 10p per VM customer. Tough if sky payed premium prices for there content.

Its less popular than Gold, it may improve but usually it gets a spike then stablises at X amount. So unless SKY change tact open it up for all they pretty much stuffed like a turkey with it. With a risk views could drop even further if they tried to push it to subscription later. Yes they get subscriptions but would it really justify covering its costs for it and the outlay doubt it very much.

IF I was VM this would put them in the driving SEAT in discusions on negotiations for it. Offer them pittance like they did when living had popularity but they offered disgraceful deal.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33   #93
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Someone really dislikes Sky.

Obviously not a shareholder as, despite Sky being completely clueless about how their business works, those guys are pretty happy bunnies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

Skys main channel (Sky 1) only gets 1 million for its top programme. Once you get down the the 5th or so programme, then its 500,000.

A programme of limited appeal (a repeat) on at a late evening spot isnt going to attract many viewers - great for dramatic headlines tho. A much better guide of hows its really doing will be to check out its top 10 on BARB in about 2 months time.
What he said. Sky's customer base will, obviously, be split between not only Sky's content but also FTA / OTA content.

The picture on this channel will get much clearer as time goes on.

Awful lot of anger about this channel not being on VM though given how apparently rubbish it actually is.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52   #94
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Different sources of anger/rubbish, imho; some people want it, some others think the channel is sub-optimal - probably minimal overlap between the sets.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56   #95
peterjcat
Inactive

peterjcat will become famous soon enoughpeterjcat will become famous soon enoughpeterjcat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
The picture on this channel will get much clearer as time goes on.
Why, are they switching to Super-HD?

Personally I think that there is at least one show on HBO that everyone would love if they gave it a shot -- they do a variety of great stuff. There's clearly a lot of filler on Sky Atlantic but it's the same with any channel. I don't feel it's worth moving to Sky for, but I do hope it comes to VM (in HD).
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54   #96
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post

What I find astonishing is the amount Sky is obviously spending on marketing the channel, and yet it's delivering these numbers at the height of their advertising campaign? Strewth. Boardwalk's figures will take a tumble as it takes about four episodes to get going, and I don't believe anything on Atlantic's schedules will be something that picks up an audience mid-run. HBO drama needs to be seen from the start - it would be like reading a novel from page 200...
Advertisers will not be impressed. If only they could reach an extra 3.7m homes it might stand a chance...
Old 05-02-2011, 12:26   #97
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've said it before: VM is looking at a future in which linear TV is of little significance. They seem to believe that they can secure non-linear rights to a lot of the stuff people want to watch, quickly enough to neutralize the fact that the linear broadcast is exclusive somewhere else.

VM is focusing on making a robust, high-capacity network that will allow subscribers to get whatever content they want, whenever they want it.
...And I agree with that. However, the plain fact is, I can't get Broadwalk Empire or any other of the Sky Atlantic shows on VOD! I will miss Mad Men when the new series comes out later this year, and I have been following this from the start.

So until I can access the content I want, then I want the Sky Atlantic channel please!
Old 05-02-2011, 13:26   #98
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Awful lot of anger about this channel not being on VM though given how apparently rubbish it actually is.
Although I accept that some people here simply don't like the kind of programming shown on Sky Atlantic and/or are just not bothered about it, I do think that there have been some people in this thread & the other Atlantic thread who appear (to me) to dislike it due to:

a) Being ignorant of the point of it and what it's actually showing.

b) "Sour grapes" because it isn't on VM.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
What I find astonishing is the amount Sky is obviously spending on marketing the channel, and yet it's delivering these numbers at the height of their advertising campaign? Strewth. Boardwalk's figures will take a tumble as it takes about four episodes to get going, and I don't believe anything on Atlantic's schedules will be something that picks up an audience mid-run. HBO drama needs to be seen from the start - it would be like reading a novel from page 200...
Advertisers will not be impressed. If only they could reach an extra 3.7m homes it might stand a chance...
I agree with you about having to see these shows from the start. HBO dramas etc. aren't things you can dip in & out of each week like e.g. Generic Fast Paced Cop Shows (not that I have anything against Generic Fast Paced Cop Shows). Story arcs, slow build up of the story & the characters, etc. ... These shows need to be seen from the beginning.
Old 05-02-2011, 14:51   #99
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

Low Ratings does not mean the channel is rubbish. Peep Show consistently receives sub-par ratings, that doesn't make it rubbish though.

So far they've only showed repeats, I suspect when we get to first-run content things will change.
Old 05-02-2011, 16:30   #100
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Well in my opinion sky started off this debate by saying "sky atlantic won't be on virgin media soon",i really could not care as virgin managed in the months after the sky basics were lost,proving the sky channels are not the be all and end all they would like us to think they are,sky saying about the channel virgin needs it well why? the content is freely available via other methods and a good BB connection.

Sky upped the anti themselves so i am not supprised about all the negative comments here seeing also as it has been advertised to near death in the past couple of weeks to the point of ad neauseum,only time will tell if sky need vm to carry sky atlantic, rather then virgin themselves need it to be on cable i suspect the former rather then the latter.

Old 05-02-2011, 16:42   #101
Pster72
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Tivo VIP Package (Including Sky sports and Movies)
Pster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the rough

This is a tactic by Sky to get more money from VM for the channel, Sky are very good at this type of thing
Old 05-02-2011, 16:44   #102
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
So far they've only showed repeats, I suspect when we get to first-run content things will change.
Apart from Boardwalk Empire, Entourage, and Blue Bloods...
Old 05-02-2011, 16:46   #103
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I would love to see those programmes, but it's not the end of the world if I don't (this reflects the atttitude I had during the previous Sky channels furore).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-02-2011, 17:34   #104
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

I think this shows that with Sky 1-3 and Sky Atlantic there isn't really enough content to cover 4 channels.

Out of interest what are the current top 20 channels according to Barb ?
Old 05-02-2011, 17:51   #105
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The data is on their site ... you should go have a look.

www.barb.co.uk
Closed Thread