Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 01-12-2011, 00:37   #166
idbirch
Inactive

idbirch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

I just posted this quick guide for Windows users over at Tivocommunity, here it is in case any of you don't hang out there also:

Install Python 2.7.2 from here. This installed to C:\Python27

I then had to fanny about with the .py scripts because it seems python changes it's syntax rules on a regular basis and most of the scripts wouldn't run without removing print statements and getting rid of some commenting. Here are the already-edited versions, just extract to C:\Python27: linky

Use Notepad++ or similar to add your TiVo and PC IP addresses into mdns-tivo-forgery.py, I've labelled where you need to put them. Also add the TSN. Save the changes.

Not sure if this step is needed, probably not - edit remote1.py and remote2.py substituting the TiVo IP with your own and entering your MAK.

Now just double click mdns-tivo-forgery.py in your C:\Python27 directory, if you see "Running mDNS daemon" you're probably good to go.

All creds to arantius for the script and foddy for realising it could be used for something cool.
idbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2011, 12:56   #167
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

So you need the PC running mDNS daemon in order for the iPad to control the TiVo?
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 13:04   #168
idbirch
Inactive

Yes. There are no pre-requisites though, the scripts included set everything up.
Old 01-12-2011, 13:19   #169
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty nice little workaround, shame I don't an iPad to hand so I can give it a test run!
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 13:32   #170
idbirch
Inactive

Works on the iPhone too which I guess means iPod Touch should work also.
Old 01-12-2011, 14:01   #171
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch View Post
I just posted this quick guide for Windows users over at Tivocommunity, here it is in case any of you don't hang out there also:

Install Python 2.7.2 from here. This installed to C:\Python27

I then had to fanny about with the .py scripts because it seems python changes it's syntax rules on a regular basis and most of the scripts wouldn't run without removing print statements and getting rid of some commenting. Here are the already-edited versions, just extract to C:\Python27: linky

Use Notepad++ or similar to add your TiVo and PC IP addresses into mdns-tivo-forgery.py, I've labelled where you need to put them. Also add the TSN. Save the changes.

Not sure if this step is needed, probably not - edit remote1.py and remote2.py substituting the TiVo IP with your own and entering your MAK.

Now just double click mdns-tivo-forgery.py in your C:\Python27 directory, if you see "Running mDNS daemon" you're probably good to go.

All creds to arantius for the script and foddy for realising it could be used for something cool.
Thanks for the edited versions of the .PY files

I'm still having very little luck though. Is the TiVo ip the same as my local ip or does it have it's own?

At the minute when I run the mdns file nothing happens.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 14:17   #172
idbirch
Inactive

Line 10 of the main script (mdns-tivo-forgery.py) which will initially read:

Quote:
local_ip = socket.inet_aton('192.168.0.90')
needs to be the IP address of your TiVo. You can get that from the Network Settings screen (that's from memory, can't recall precisely where it is) but it should be 192.168.something

Line 22 which will initially read:
Quote:
server = Zeroconf.Zeroconf(bindaddress="192.168.0.2")
needs to be changed to the IP address of the PC/laptop which you're running the Python script on.

Line 19 which will read:
Quote:
TSN = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Needs the X's replacing with your TiVo service number which is on the System info screen of your TiVo.

After saving those changes, you should get some output from the script. If not, try just opening a command prompt (run it as Administrator is you're on Vista/7) and get yourself to a C:\>Python27 prompt. Type "python mdns-tivo-forgery.py" without the quotes and see what it says.
Old 01-12-2011, 19:03   #173
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

I've setup the python scripts and can now see 2 TIVOs listed

My real one which says not available
The dummy one called DA59 but it says Not Complete, which is complaining about Network Remote Control isn't enabled, not sure how i setup Remote Control on a dummy device
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 19:20   #174
idbirch
Inactive

You're so close! I had the same issue although if you're using the scripts from the zip I uploaded, you shouldn't have that problem as it has the code needed to fake that in there already.

Can you try editing line 95 which should currently read:

Quote:
Proxy._tivo-remote._tcp.local
and change it to:

Quote:
DA59._tivo-remote._tcp.local
Restart the script and try again. If that doesn't work, reboot your TiVo and router and toggle the WiFi on your iDevice on/off before trying again.
Old 01-12-2011, 19:33   #175
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Can I just say that idbirch has gone above and beyond the call of duty in order to help me get this app working. Although I'm not quite there yet I've got to say that idbirch has the patience of a saint and the knowledge of a programmer!!

A true credit to the forum.
Old 01-12-2011, 19:37   #176
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Thanks for the instructions idbirch and to Foddy I have this working now, I have had to faff about with this with no knowledge of running Python scripts so probably made loads of stupid mistakes.

My next question is can the script be modified to connect to more then one Tivo?

What problem are you having Doz007 chances are your probably doing some of the silly things I was doing.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 19:46   #177
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

^^^^

That cured the problem, the scripts I was using were from your zip

Many thanks for your assistance
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 19:54   #178
idbirch
Inactive

Yeah, guess I cocked that bit up then! Here's a fixed link with the correction already made.

Fixed tivofiles.zip

I can't edit my original post to fix the link for some reason
Old 01-12-2011, 19:57   #179
Doz007
cf.geek

Mine is fully operational now thanks to a massive helping hand from idbirch.

I can't get over how fast this makes navigating the TiVo. This is hands down the best way to use the TiVo!
Old 01-12-2011, 20:06   #180
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Yeah its surprisingly quick, navigating My Shows is super quick.

One odd thing I did notice was that when you delete a show instead of the cursor moving down like on the Tivo it moves up so i almost deleted a unwatched episode.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote