Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK court to unmask 150 'file-sharers'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK court to unmask 150 'file-sharers'

Old 01-02-2006, 11:30   #46
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: UK court to unmask 150 'file-sharers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP
Why can't NTL do anything then perhaps you should work for them you know so much about the subject
Dezzo used to work for ntl until recently.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2006, 11:30   #47
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So if the police knocked we'd just have to hope they believe us and dont suggest we have another computer connected which they never found. If I was a policeman I wouldn't go for the excuse that it must be cloned or something after all. Ltes hope you and Chris haven't been clone
Why are you arguing this point? It's a pointless hypothetical situation and in the highly unlikely event that it does happen the Police STILL need to prove (as Chris T pointed out) that you actually have the materials they're accusing you of downloading. They search your PC, they don't find it .. the problems gone away.

(and no-one is going to clone my modem as I'm not an NTL customer)
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:32   #48
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
So if the police knocked we'd just have to hope they believe us and dont suggest we have another computer connected which they never found. If I was a policeman I wouldn't go for the excuse that it must be cloned or something after all. Ltes hope you and Chris haven't been clone
Well, I'm not on NTL cable so it's less of a problem for me. And my wireless network is secure. However, don't forget, at the end of the day you don't have to convince the police, you have to convince a jury.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:34   #49
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
Why are you arguing this point? It's a pointless hypothetical situation and in the highly unlikely event that it does happen the Police STILL need to prove (as Chris T pointed out) that you actually have the materials they're accusing you of downloading. They search your PC, they don't find it .. the problems gone away.

(and no-one is going to clone my modem as I'm not an NTL customer)
I'm not arguing more worried I know how the police can be from personal experience. Luckily the next door neighbour was a high ranking officer who reprimanded the constable involved (enough info)
Old 01-02-2006, 11:36   #50
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'm not arguing more worried I know how the police can be from personal experience. Luckily the next door neighbour was a high ranking officer who reprimanded the constable involved (enough info)
If you haven't broken the law, you've nothing to fear. I'd suggest that you probably start another thread regarding your beef with the cops because it's not really anything to do with this thread.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:41   #51
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
If you haven't broken the law, you've nothing to fear. I'd suggest that you probably start another thread regarding your beef with the cops because it's not really anything to do with this thread.
If is when you can have three warrants for your arrest issued by a currupt copper

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Dezzo used to work for ntl until recently.
Oh right sorry still like I said if they knew everything these clones would be under control. Was he made redundant ? had that myself a few years back shame we can't all be funded by some licence fee
Old 01-02-2006, 11:56   #52
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Oh right sorry still like I said if they knew everything these clones would be under control.
Funnily enough quite a few modem cloners were shut out recently as Ntl are trying to control the problem. Whether spending huge amounts of money on a relatively small problem is good value or not is probably why more hasn't been done.

Quote:
Was he made redundant ? had that myself a few years back shame we can't all be funded by some licence fee
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne..._the_city.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester News
But Mr Thompson is also poised to announce job cuts. Latest estimates are that some 6,000 of the BBC's 28,000 staff may be axed. He will open up the BBC to more independent producers and possibly cut programme budgets.
Just like the several thousand BBC workers eh? So much for a bottomless pot of money.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:56   #53
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop
Oh right sorry still like I said if they knew everything these clones would be under control. Was he made redundant ? had that myself a few years back shame we can't all be funded by some licence fee
I fail to understand what relevance the above posting regarding the licence fee has to this thread. Do not drag it off topic. Such further posts in this or any other thread will be deleted and accounts suspended.

Nb do not be tempted to debate this moderator posting .
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:04   #54
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo
Just like the several thousand BBC workers eh? So much for a bottomless pot of money.
dont forget the £500 million its costing to move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
I fail to understand what relevance the above posting regarding the licence fee has to this thread. Do not drag it off topic. Such further posts in this or any other thread will be deleted and accounts suspended.

Nb do not be tempted to debate this moderator posting .
No course not but I would like to point out I wasn't the one that first went off topic. I think the security worries are relevant to this problem
Old 01-02-2006, 12:46   #55
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:

This has nothing to do with the police at all. It is a private body that is making applications to the courts to override the privacy that people who don't break the rules are entitled to.

If and when the police get involved, it will only be to ensure that the warrants issued by the court are carried out with no breach of the peace.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 21:22   #56
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

so who, "If I may have the temerity to ask over an ntl cable modem connection am I sharing my music with when I select the 'share music' option in ipod options in Itunes?
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 21:40   #57
Bifta
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver_problems
so who, "If I may have the temerity to ask over an ntl cable modem connection am I sharing my music with when I select the 'share music' option in ipod options in Itunes?
You're not actually GIVING them the files, you're only allowing Itunes on a maximum of 5 authorised machines to listen to the files in your copy of Itunes, if you turn your machine off, they can't listen to them.
Old 01-02-2006, 22:57   #58
Smilie
Inactive

Smilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of light

well now that FAST have won this court action
im wondering when other industrys will look for a court order to get name and addresses
dont think they will be hard to get now they have this court case as a example

if they do start getting good results from these court cases
i think the internet will become alot quieter place
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 00:57   #59
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie
well now that FAST have won this court action
im wondering when other industrys will look for a court order to get name and addresses
dont think they will be hard to get now they have this court case as a example
Of course they will, and if you'd had your copyright broken, the chances are so would you.

Movie companies, TV companies, artists, designers, radio stations - anywhere you find someones conceptual products being infringed in fact.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 21:18   #60
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Well the data protection act is pretty useless, anyone with enough corporate muscle can shuftie the information they need to bring actions.

I mean dont get me started on all the BS that happened in America with the RIAA and its subpoenas for downloading. The amount of innocents that were affected wasnt something to be proud of.

Cant an appeal be launched to the European Courts? Its quite clear that the BPI and other corporate henchmen will be looking to use this now to bully people.
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote