Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 16-04-2016, 20:30   #466
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Taf sorry if I wasn't clear but I wasn't intending to install/charge the li-ion battery within the unit, just test the unit momentarily using the pre-charged AA it to see if the thing still oscillates. Presumably the 3.6v would be fine for this.

As regards the battery shown, wouldn't it be easier to buy a 3 x AAA pack already assembled with read and black wires or am I missing something?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-M...MAAOSwgkRVSfk8

Cheers as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2016, 15:12   #467
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Well I've found and ordered a replacement battery pack for the wife's ultrasonic facial cleanser so we'll have to wait and see if it does the trick.

In other news:

I managed to get my Flymo XLT3000 petrol strimmer operational today after a lot of mucking about yesterday. Not having used it for ages, I made up a new batch of fuel 40:1 petrol/2 stroke and tried to fire her up. No joy, not so much as a burble despite numerous attempts at the starting procedure. My right arm hanging off, I hunted around for information online and found a few DIY videos so decided to try cleaning the sparkplug today. The unit hasn't been used more than about 15 hours in the years since I bought it so the air filter was very clean and there were no other visible signs of problems. Took the plug out, gave it a wipe over and a quick wire brushing before putting it back in and trying again. It tried to start on about the 3 pull and then fired up properly after a couple more pulls. Got her nice and warm and then went out to the front garden to strim our lawn. It all seems to be working well now so I'm going to make sure I actually use the thing more often (it has brush cutter, hedge trimmer and chain saw attachments) and avoid storing it for any length of time with fuel in the tank.

Another fix chalked up.
Old 19-04-2016, 15:47   #468
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Just be careful when you start to charge those batteries, they go with a loud bang if they are overcharged!
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 17:25   #469
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Just be careful when you start to charge those batteries, they go with a loud bang if they are overcharged!
They're the same type and spec (AAA Nimh 600mah) as the original 3.6v pack so I'm not expecting a problem. Fingers crossed...

I'll pop them in, reassemble the unit, pop it into the charging cradle and leave...

Last edited by Osem; 10-06-2018 at 15:50.
Old 19-04-2016, 17:34   #470
Osem
Inactive

Doh, I've just realised that by fixing our lawnmower and strimmer I now have few excuses not to be occupied...

Old 21-04-2016, 17:59   #471
Osem
Inactive

Well gentlemen, we have another fix.

Battery pack arrived today, terminal cut off, wires joined to those from circuit board and sealed nicely with heat shrink tubing. Bits carefully reassembled and then the big moment as I placed it into the charging cradle, heard a single beep and saw the red charging led flash. As I type the thing's charging away perfectly with no sign of any proble........................................

Old 24-04-2016, 19:07   #472
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The door of our Samsung washer-dryer was making a loud buzzing noise these past couple of weeks. I lightly touched the outer window and the buzzing stopped. So I tightened the screws on the inside of the door by 1/8 of a turn. No more noise.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 16:17   #473
Osem
Inactive

My Garden Groom Pro hedge cutter. Dusted it off for the first time this year earlier and powered her up only to find it kept cutting out. After checking the plug and fiddling around with the power lead where it enters the back of the unit I could find no reason for it stopping and starting except that it only happened when the unit was moving. Then I had a bright idea to check if there was some sort of safety on/off switch located where the on board collection bin attaches to the underside of the unit and sure enough that's where the problem was. A fairly minor adjustment to the retaining clip stopped the bin moving around causing the switch to cycle on/off. I wonder how many people have sent theirs off for repairs or even binned them due to such a simple fault. Happy days.
Old 30-04-2016, 13:41   #474
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The missus complained that the paper shredder was dead. A quick check found the teeth clogged and that was causing the thermal cutout to operate even before it started turning. Plug out, dismantled and unclogged. Now back in operation.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 20:35   #475
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The missus complained that the paper shredder was dead. A quick check found the teeth clogged and that was causing the thermal cutout to operate even before it started turning. Plug out, dismantled and unclogged. Now back in operation.
Yes, had that problem many times in the past. Unfortunately, on a couple of occasions, I found some of the metal cutters had become badly distorted and I could find no way to dismantle the cutting head in order to repair them.
Old 04-05-2016, 14:11   #476
Osem
Inactive

'Fixed' one of the large hardwood windowboards in our lounge. It had become faded and watermarked and suffered from some rather curious sanding marks (slight parallel ridges about 3" apart) along its whole length which had become more visible over time so was looking pretty shocking all in all and had been bugging me. It's the first time I've used Danish oil and I must say I'm impressed with the finish and how easy it is to apply. Anyway, a morning sanding away and a quick treatment with Danish Oil has restored it to its original glory and won me a few much needed Brownie points...
Old 05-05-2016, 14:13   #477
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

My favourite Braun electric razor (1508) The battery was getting very low on capacity and then it suddenly stopped altogether and no charge/cord operation either. I had previously replaced the battery a few years ago and had modified the internal latch mechanism on the case for easy re-opening by fitting a much less agressive spring and drilling a tiny 1mm hole to that a paperclip can be used to operate the catch rather than forcing the case open at one end to be able to get a screwdriver onto it.

I found that one end of the battery had come unsoldered and that had blown the charging circuit. I needed to replace several transistors, a resistor and the indicator LED plus soldering* in a new freshly charged 2500mHr NiMh battery.

Works a treat now.

I had sourced another motor off ebay just in case as this had failed a few years ago and was replaced. It can go on the spares shelf for when it's needed.

*Not good for batteries but a very hot iron and quickly seems to get away with it.
Old 05-05-2016, 15:24   #478
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Osem and Heero yuy clever or what?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 16:33   #479
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
My favourite Braun electric razor (1508) The battery was getting very low on capacity and then it suddenly stopped altogether and no charge/cord operation either. I had previously replaced the battery a few years ago and had modified the internal latch mechanism on the case for easy re-opening by fitting a much less agressive spring and drilling a tiny 1mm hole to that a paperclip can be used to operate the catch rather than forcing the case open at one end to be able to get a screwdriver onto it.

I found that one end of the battery had come unsoldered and that had blown the charging circuit. I needed to replace several transistors, a resistor and the indicator LED plus soldering* in a new freshly charged 2500mHr NiMh battery.

Works a treat now.

I had sourced another motor off ebay just in case as this had failed a few years ago and was replaced. It can go on the spares shelf for when it's needed.

*Not good for batteries but a very hot iron and quickly seems to get away with it.
Now that's the sort of job I'd love to be able to do but I never got to grips with electronics, I'm more mechanical.

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Osem and Heero yuy clever or what?
You charmer you!
Old 05-05-2016, 17:22   #480
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Now that's the sort of job I'd love to be able to do but I never got to grips with electronics, I'm more mechanical.
My grounding and effective apprenticeship was in electronics. When I no longer can fix something like this I'll retire my soldering iron.