Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Removing roof support for loft conversion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Washing machine help please !

Old 31-01-2010, 21:45   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Washing machine help please !

Hi all

Something fell off inside the drum of our hotpoint WMA 10

Its the part which is a sort of bar which stop the washing get stuck to the drum and moves things around ! See attached pcitures

Any ideas on getting it back in as the screws seem to be behind the drum I think

Would apprecaite any help as washing in mounting up ! ! !

Many thanks

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5786.jpg (398.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5787.jpg (565.5 KB, 36 views)
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2010, 21:57   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Washing machine help please !

I think that'll be quite an involved job!

Paging iadom....
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 21:59   #3
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

They're called drum paddles. I would say you have to take the back cover off to get to the drum.

http://www.appliancespares2go.com/department/drum_paddles_26/
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 22:00   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

It's only an agitator paddle so why not try to secure it back in place with something like this if you can't get to the mounting bolts without a whole lot of hassle:

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/product~A...ty_YTB165.html

Some of these paddles simply clip into position from inside the drum - are you sure yours does not?

http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washin...drum-padd.html
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 22:05   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

i would say that the drum has to be removed to re-attach it which would mean a engineer visit .The other option would be to fix it back yourself using some long self tapping screws ,Just drill through the sides at an angle into the drum and fix with 4 screws (stainless steel ones so they won't rust )
Old 31-01-2010, 22:38   #6
looselipsuk
Inactive

Services: XL broadband 60Mb Virgin free TV + Telephone HTC Desire S
looselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nicelooselipsuk is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to looselipsuk Send a message via Yahoo to looselipsuk

To get to the drum you take the front panel off to get to the drum front. The back panel would need to come off to remove the drive pulley to allow the inner drum to be removed.
Not a good idea to use long self tapping screws from inside as you risk them jamming on the heater element. If the paddle does not just slot into place and is in fact screwed from the other side then the machine will have to be dismantled and unless you are very confident is an engineers job.
looselipsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 23:33   #7
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

It all depends on the age of the machine. earlier Hotpoints require you to remove front of the machine and the front of the drum. You can then jam the pulley with the wooden handle of a mallet or hammer to get the bolt out then tap through. If you have to do this (which you have too) then you will also have to replace the bearings and seal. Not a bad job with the right tools. I had a set of drifts machined to spec for the job when I used to fix washers. Of course newer machines are a ifferent kettle of fish altogether.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 23:44   #8
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Can you post a pic of the underneath of the bar? By the look of the drum, it looks like it just fixes onto the six fixing holes? Slot and slide.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 00:18   #9
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
Can you post a pic of the underneath of the bar? By the look of the drum, it looks like it just fixes onto the six fixing holes? Slot and slide.
I'd agree. The L shaped holes on the drum look like the kind where you put the part through and then push up to secure it.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17   #10
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
I'd agree. The L shaped holes on the drum look like the kind where you put the part through and then push up to secure it.
Just phoned home and wife has had a lot at the bottom of the paddle and it would appear that there were some fixing which have broken off so it looks like a 'push up job'.

Any ideas where I can buy a paddle from ?

Many thanks for all the posts.

Regards

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 08:25   #11
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

This looks like it.

This one has better photo.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:09   #12
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

If that is the one then the fixing looks like a combination of locating lugs AND one or two fixing screws. To get these in you will have to separate the inner and outer drum which is not a task to take on lightly.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:12   #13
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

3 quotes to replace 2 of these on our washing machine were more expensive than a new machine!

A very involved job they all said.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07   #14
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

TAF - I took apart our last AEG washing machine to see how it ticked. Separating the inner and outer drums was a real pain in the bum so I'm not surprised that the labour charge for so doing could be prohibitive.

Incidentally, I'm still using the perforated stainless steel inner drum as a rather nice brazier in the garden. It's really very effective!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:24   #15
Mike
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
I am sure I can clip it in ok.............do people think the two holes are for screws which will mean taking the drum out or could I glue the points where the screws go ! ! !

Really appeciate the help on this one folks

Regards

Mike