Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband woes in DN16

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

50 meg upgrade woes

Old 11-02-2011, 21:56   #1
robgosty
Inactive

robgosty can only hope to improve
50 meg upgrade woes

Long story cut quite short, tec called today to upgrade me from 20 to 50meg, all connected o/k 15DB forward path attenuator fitted superhub, only getting 14 to 18 meg, disconnect firewall no change, disconnect anti virus (nod 32) speed goes up, tech says you need to uninstall them and install Virgin security, so we commence to download, his phone rings and off he goes to another install, I install Virgin security and wait for 20 minutes while my pc reboots really slow & unresponsive, no number for tec so ring 150 (big mistake) usual result reboot hub reboot PC (another 20 Min) all still the same, I say i want tec to return and fix, she says it is my own fault as i installed Virgin security, i hang up before i gouge my eyes out uninstall said Virgin security and install AVG anti virus & PC tools firewall, computer now boots properly but speeds are still 14 to 16 meg disable anti virus & firewall in turn no change, also phoned activation number & comfirmed 50 meg was activated, (it was )
These are figures from connection page
Connection

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 314750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 203 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 3.0 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 201 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 3.1 dBmV 42.5 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 202 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 3.2 dBmV 42.5 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 204 55616000 Kbits/sec 322750000 Hz 2.9 dBmV 42.1 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked TDMA 2 10240 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 36.7 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 5244
Max Traffic Rate 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 5243
Max Traffic Rate 1750000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 0 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

Current System Time:Fri Feb 11 21:32:56 2011
Latest speed test result

Can anyone help at all as i am losing the will to live here
robgosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2011, 22:54   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: 50 meg upgrade woes

the only thing i can say dude is that you might actually be getting 50mbit and you don't know it. The only server I find reliable to do a speed test from is the London server so I would give that one a go just to see what it says. Quite annoyingly it wont let me prove my point and itsn't geting anywhere near 50mbit atm but normally i can pretty much guarantee that I can run a speed test on the London server any time of day and get 50mbit or near as. I used to use Manchester and Maidenhead when I was on 20mbit but switched to London when I got 50mbit because the other two couldnt handle it.

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 23:01   #3
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I used to use Manchester and Maidenhead when I was on 20mbit but switched to London when I got 50mbit because the other two couldnt handle it.
Thanks for that info - I always got lousy results from London on 20meg so used Maidenhead. But was noticing today I was getting better results the other way round (just upgraded to 50meg).

So thanks for that

(back to original topic now...)
savvychels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 23:03   #4
robgosty
Inactive

Hi General, tried that, does not seem to like London

Wish i had stayed on my nice stable regular 20 meg connection
Old 12-02-2011, 12:28   #5
robgosty
Inactive

Update to this one, got to the point of no return rung VM and spoke to really nice lady, explained i wanted to revert to my old 20 meg and i still had my old hub, she said no problem just use your old hub and i will change your account, happy days, swop to old hub ---nothing no connection, oh dear here we go again---put superhub back on hooray 20 connection with upload just like it used to be
My advice, for what its worth, if your upgrade works first time great, if you have any sort of a problem God help you coz it will be a nightmare, wasted a full 24 hours and got really stressed to achieve bugger all, next saga is likely to be when VM either
1/try to charge me for 50 meg
2/ want their superhub back (leaving me with no internet)
Not a happy puppy !!!
This was my 50meg

This is what i have now, (same ip addy)
Old 13-02-2011, 16:48   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

mine is giving me the right results now

Old 14-02-2011, 10:12   #7
robgosty
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
mine is giving me the right results now

Glad you got it sorted, i am just happy my 20 meg is working fine, it must be an abuse of the trades description act for them to be called "customer service"
Old 14-02-2011, 17:37   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

that is a good point actually, tech support doesnt support technical needs. If i won the euro millions and had the money to sue them, I would.
Old 18-02-2011, 22:37   #9
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I use Paris.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote