Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Not financially viable'!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'Not financially viable'!

Old 30-08-2011, 23:34   #16
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: 'Not financially viable'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow (I do have the phone package as well). I'm not sure they'll do anything though as it isn't playing up.
They should do, they will probably do a few things from their end and ask you to refresh and confirm what the connection page/level come up as. Push for an attenuator regardless, whatever they do from their end can easily go back to what it was, you do need a splitter or attenuator or both which I'd advised you to ask for when the tech comes round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
Potentially silly question: is there anything 'dangerous' about having the power levels too high? Should I be unplugging the Superhub when I leave the house? The last thing I want to do is burn down my neighbour's house after they've been so accommodating.
Don't hold me against this but no. Firstly as much as the SH takes up a bit of power from the mains.. the unit itself doesn't heat up much so it does seem its limited in that respect. Secondly the cable power level being high will cause net issues, unstable connection but then again the SH seems to do that on its own regardless running R26 firmware
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2011, 10:10   #17
gherkin
Inactive

gherkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, I made the call and they're sending someone round on Friday to have a look at it. I'll ask the tech for a splitter/attenuator.
gherkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 17:38   #18
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
I'm annoyed a tech has left you with high levels, its a new bloody install!!
Quick question, what does it have to do with you? You are annoyed???

Quote:
He should put an attenuator before the cable goes into your superhub. He can also put in a splitter for future use if you decide to use other VM services. The splitter would lower the level alone, I'm surprised he has neither put a splitter or an attenuator.
The tech will NOT put a splitter inline, just on the offchance you "might" want another service (e.g. TV) at a later date, and he would be wrong to do so!

If the downstream power levels are a "little" high as they are, this will be very quickly fixed with a 6dB equaliser.

Have you ever worked for VM in the field on either service or install at all by any chance?
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 17:56   #19
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Why an equaliser and not an attenuator?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:02   #20
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
Quick question, what does it have to do with you? You are annoyed???
The OP has just got a new install done, the least a tech should do is check whether the levels are good. The issue wouldn't have even been raised until he experienced issues which is another unnecessary hiccup. Whats your problem with me being annoyed? This is a forum set up to help people, if you don't like the help thats being offered offer your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
The tech will NOT put a splitter inline, just on the offchance you "might" want another service (e.g. TV) at a later date, and he would be wrong to do so!

If the downstream power levels are a "little" high as they are, this will be very quickly fixed with a 6dB equaliser.

Have you ever worked for VM in the field on either service or install at all by any chance?
Yes I agree the tech wont just put in a splitter but my point was a splitter alone would lower levels, a separate attenuator would too which he requires but neither were fitted.

No I'm not a tech that goes out to properties and fits services, neither have I got the full knowledge to do so. I've only worked closely with a director and heads at VM.
Old 31-08-2011, 18:04   #21
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

To be fair most connections run fine with a high downstream but I always carry some attenuators etc in my pocket
Old 02-09-2011, 00:13   #22
thenry
Inactive

You sure? There double what the max should be.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20   #23
jb66
cf.mega poster

Yup, feels like most customers that upgrade require an attenuator that wasnt present pre-upgrade
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21   #24
gherkin
Inactive

The engineer came round and fixed the power levels. I thought it would be a simple job of sticking in an attenuator but he spent around an hour checking things and tweaking things in the junction box and in the cabinet (I think we were moved to a different 'tap'). It seemed like there were other problems with the initial installation that he found and fixed as well. There is also a '12db forward attenuator' on the modem now. New stats:

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 200 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 1.6 dBmV 40.1 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 201 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 1.4 dBmV 39.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 202 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 1.3 dBmV 39.8 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 4 20480 Kbits/sec 35800000 Hz 37.7 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

I notice I have these errors every so often in the Event Log of the Superhub previously:

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;
DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-
No Ranging Response received
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;

Could they have been due to the high power levels? Also, the little manhole where the cable comes onto the property has its cover missing and there's all kinds of gunk, leaves, mud etc in there. Is it best to try and get this covered or does it not really matter?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-09-2011, 13:15   #25
thenry
Inactive

The levels look good. Have you done another speedtest?

The event log; could be but because you have a SuperHub running R26 firmware, it could just be the SH rebooting itself because of the famous firmware issues.

What do you mean by the last bit mate. You mentioned the cable runs along your neighbours property into yours ?

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

the hole in the wall to thread the cable through right? you could stick some sealant in there? not too much though just from the outside so it seals it.
Old 02-09-2011, 13:24   #26
gherkin
Inactive

Yeah, speedtests/pingtests look perfect mate.

By the manhole I mean the little square cover on the side of the pavement (from where the cable begins and goes into our neighbours property). All the ones on our road have a cover which say 'CATV' on them but our particular one is missing its cover (has been for some time but its been out of use). I think it might be called a 'tee'?
Old 02-09-2011, 13:26   #27
thenry
Inactive

http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/
Old 02-09-2011, 15:55   #28
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Why have you posted the abuse link.??

If you want to report a damaged cabinet or similar you just ring 0330 333 0444
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 16:23   #29
thenry
Inactive

oops, sorry I thought it had the street cabinet reporting option within it.https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...LATION_REQUEST
Fault with your services > cable services > bottom option (street cabinet) The OP can report the manhole issue using the cabinet form ? Or just call using the number above.
Old 02-09-2011, 16:50   #30
gherkin
Inactive

Thanks guys. I've sent them off an email using the form (there was an option for footpath manhole). If I don't hear anything in the next few weeks I'll give them a call.