Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future for linear TV channels

Old 17-04-2015, 23:28   #241
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Linear tv days are numbered that is without a doubt argue with it all you like end of the day more and more people are cutting the cord and using online, why do you think verizon, comcast, dish, hbo have invested heavily in online tv? Because they can see online tv is the future, sky have already invested in online tv with the skygo monthly the ticket. The proof is there in black and white.
Linar tv will not die out completely there will always be some sort of demand for it as for live sports companies like nbc, fox, bein, sky are already proving that people will watch it live online.
One thing is for certain virgin, bt,plusnet, sky etc will have to invest heavily into the structure of their broadband networks, guess what? They already are because they know more and more people are using online services such as Netflix, skygo, blinkbox.
Linear tv will still be here in 10 years but i think it will be very few channels.
Someone said Netflix has a limited number of shows, so does linear tv it's the way rights work.
I can't say much but i am part of a test group for a major provider who are ready to pull out of linear tv and move into online only.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2015, 11:50   #242
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Linear tv days are numbered that is without a doubt argue with it all you like end of the day more and more people are cutting the cord and using online, why do you think verizon, comcast, dish, hbo have invested heavily in online tv? Because they can see online tv is the future, sky have already invested in online tv with the skygo monthly the ticket. The proof is there in black and white.
Linar tv will not die out completely there will always be some sort of demand for it as for live sports companies like nbc, fox, bein, sky are already proving that people will watch it live online.
One thing is for certain virgin, bt,plusnet, sky etc will have to invest heavily into the structure of their broadband networks, guess what? They already are because they know more and more people are using online services such as Netflix, skygo, blinkbox.
Linear tv will still be here in 10 years but i think it will be very few channels.
Someone said Netflix has a limited number of shows, so does linear tv it's the way rights work.
I can't say much but i am part of a test group for a major provider who are ready to pull out of linear tv and move into online only.

Nail on the head, not head in the sand, well said theone.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 13:37   #243
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I think linear tv will be around for many,many years t come. I doubt it will ever disappear completely. We need linear tv for live sports events as already mentioned but also for live news events or indeed news flashes. As far as I know on demand programs can`t be interrupted to inform us of a `news flash` such as a bomb going off somewhere or a member of royalty being involved in a crash,or can they? I guess someone will say they can or will do in the future.
What I`ve noticed more and more of is adverts before and sometimes during on demand programs which really irates me. I know it`s done to cut the costs down but still annoys me!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 14:18   #244
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I think linear tv will be around for many,many years t come. I doubt it will ever disappear completely. We need linear tv for live sports events as already mentioned but also for live news events or indeed news flashes. As far as I know on demand programs can`t be interrupted to inform us of a `news flash` such as a bomb going off somewhere or a member of royalty being involved in a crash,or can they? I guess someone will say they can or will do in the future.
What I`ve noticed more and more of is adverts before and sometimes during on demand programs which really irates me. I know it`s done to cut the costs down but still annoys me!
You should see the ad breaks on USA channels and on demand lol we've got it light compared to them.
Old 18-04-2015, 18:15   #245
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
You should see the ad breaks on USA channels and on demand lol we've got it light compared to Ithem.
I'. m sure your'e right and no doubt they'l increase in numbers here too in years to come
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 09:12   #246
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Oh look, another mod backing up the other mod, how strange!
Mod status has nothing to do with it. Look through our posting histories, you'll find Chris and I disagree on a lot. Just not on this.

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I'. m sure your'e right and no doubt they'l increase in numbers here too in years to come
He's right.

They actually have breaks immediately before and after the credits, and while have breaks every few minutes in the programme.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 13:04   #247
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

He's right.

They actually have breaks immediately before and after the credits, and while have breaks every few minutes in the programme.
True, but the adds are much shorter --- on popular US streaming services anyway.

It is possible to spend less time watching a US show that way, than via a UK TV channel, even though there are more adds.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 13:37   #248
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Mod status has nothing to do with it. Look through our posting histories, you'll find Chris and I disagree on a lot. Just not on this.

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

He's right.

I recalled 4 ad breaks through one episode of the goldbergs which is only a 25 minute show lol.
Although through revenge which is a 50 minute show there was 6 ad breaks each were about 1 minute 45 seconds long, i only know that as xfinity has a countdown at top of screen lol.Also on nbcsports live ad banners pop up at the top of screen quite often

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
True, but the adds are much shorter --- on popular US streaming services anyway.

It is possible to spend less time watching a US show that way, than via a UK TV channel, even though there are more adds.
This is true i use xfinity more than anything these days gone are my days of torrents (naughty i know).
Old 19-04-2015, 13:44   #249
theone2k10
Inactive

Screenshot of nbcsports live ignore the blurriness my phones cam is crap, but it gives you a idea of the advertising in the USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11178239_806742782713972_3962537392206405434_n.jpg (47.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 19-04-2015, 19:23   #250
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Screenshot of nbcsports live ignore the blurriness my phones cam is crap, but it gives you a idea of the advertising in the USA.
I watched nbcsports(n) yesterday for the first time(thanks to you and my new fire tv)
I couldn't believe the advertising banners coming across the top left of the screen every few minutes.
Can't imagine it ever happening here. Or could it?
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 20:18   #251
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
I watched nbcsports(n) yesterday for the first time(thanks to you and my new fire tv)
I couldn't believe the advertising banners coming across the top left of the screen every few minutes.
Can't imagine it ever happening here. Or could it?
I wouldn't be surprised to see uk sports channels with advertising banners in the not so distant future if prices for rights keep sky rocketing.
Old 22-04-2015, 10:05   #252
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Thought this chart from Nielsen is worth reproducing:

Fundamentally, linear TV just doesn't scale in the way that content on streaming services does.

This from Cracked is worth a read too: http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-crappy...dy-saw-coming/.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:58   #253
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

Fundamentally, linear TV just doesn't scale in the way that content on streaming services does.
Interesting chart but I don't know how you come to that conclusion. I suspect the pattern for streaming services would be much the same - a growth of content available, but people still watch the same old.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 20:33   #254
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

This from Cracked is worth a read too: http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-crappy...dy-saw-coming/.
This is also a decent read.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:38   #255
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Interesting chart but I don't know how you come to that conclusion. I suspect the pattern for streaming services would be much the same - a growth of content available, but people still watch the same old.
I meant more in terms of discoverability. The streaming services provide ways of finding related content that you might be interested in watching but with hundreds of channels it's hard to find entry points to the shows you might want to see.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote