Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 02-04-2012, 15:04   #106
philipp
Inactive

Services: vivid 200. 3 tivos with all main channels.
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Just one dam minute these measure affect those who

Stream video
Stream Music
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

You have to rmemeber it will only drop to 50mbit for your 100mbit connection. Streaming should still work from multiple sources or on multiple pcs at that point. Streaming HD content is roughly 1 to 1.5 gb an hr so a stm'ed 100mbit connection should handle similatenous streaming of at least 10 films/tv/whatever.

Its a decent limit. Much better than I was expecting. And only going down to 50% is a plus.
philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2012, 15:06   #107
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
You have to rmemeber it will only drop to 50mbit for your 100mbit connection. Streaming should still work from multiple sources or on multiple pcs at that point. Streaming HD content is roughly 1 to 1.5 gb an hr so a stm'ed 100mbit connection should handle similatenous streaming of at least 10 films/tv/whatever.

Its a decent limit. Much better than I was expecting. And only going down to 50% is a plus.
My worry is what the STM does to the connection after it throttles you

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:19   #108
philipp
Inactive

Services: vivid 200. 3 tivos with all main channels.
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
My worry is what the STM does to the connection after it throttles you

Point taken I forgot the ping goes high and it feels sluggish because of how its done. Long time since I have been stm'ed.

But my point is still valid
philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:35   #109
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
The elephant in the room here is that these measure, whatever one thinks of them, would not be required if people stopped regarding copyright-theft as a basic human right.

These latest restrictions by Virginmedia are actually quite reasonable in my opinion, and won't really handicap anyone engaged in normal internet activity.
Quite right, but they can still download their "of dubious legality" content, just not always at full speed; and still a lot faster than most people with ADSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Yeah cause there really isnt any legal way to download a lot of data...Patch World of Warcraft or use the download to play, buy some games from Steam, download Windows 8 beta etc there are plenty of legal ways to use a lot of data and its certainly normal internet activity.
Yes, but how often do you have to do any of those? Do you find yourself downloading a new muti-GB release of Windows 8 beta, or patching WOW every day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
Normal internet activity? So now it is classed as abnormal use if we dare use the speed we are given?
Don't think anyone's ever said that.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 15:50   #110
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Yes, but how often do you have to do any of those? Do you find yourself downloading a new muti-GB release of Windows 8 beta, or patching WOW every day?
It's not about doing it everyday it was just some examples, there are plenty of ways to use quite a lot of data everyday. If you have a family with a few kids streaming videos playing online games etc etc I mean its really not hard to use a lot of bytes a day. We will use more and more data too so people bought their internet package depending on usage so the fact that it changes and get more restricted is imho a huge step backwards.

Sure there are some people out there that abuse the connection and download/seed 24/7 illegal stuff but its more easy than ever to get high usage legally and I shouldn't have to sit and list all of them just because some people believe that what we been told that downloading have to be illegal is gospel.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 16:00   #111
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
It's not about doing it everyday it was just some examples, there are plenty of ways to use quite a lot of data everyday. If you have a family with a few kids streaming videos playing online games etc etc I mean its really not hard to use a lot of bytes a day. We will use more and more data too so people bought their internet package depending on usage so the fact that it changes and get more restricted is imho a huge step backwards.

Sure there are some people out there that abuse the connection and download/seed 24/7 illegal stuff but its more easy than ever to get high usage legally and I shouldn't have to sit and list all of them just because some people believe that what we been told that downloading have to be illegal is gospel.
I couldn't agree more. I'm getting so tired of people living in the past. I also hate getting classified as a downloader of illegal content as soon as I go over normal usage (so normal is browsing the internet and receiving emails right?).
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 16:21   #112
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It'll be L (up to 20Mbit) on the bill I believe. But in the table it's ML20 as M and L are being merged into the same tier
Thanks for that clarification.

Just to be clear, when the speed doubles, will VM announce a new set of STM tables?

As per;
"As customers are migrated to their fantastic new speeds during the Speed Doubling program, we’ll be relaxing our traffic management policy by expanding their traffic management trigger thresholds".
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 16:26   #113
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The thresholds for pre and post speed doubling are already in the tables

That paragraph is being changed to make it clearer
Old 02-04-2012, 16:37   #114
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Throwing my hat into the ring on the illegal downloading acusation.. South Korea's largest Internet Provider KT (which is considered to have the worlds most advanced and fastest broadband) is blocking Samsung smart TV's from it's network because of the incredible strain they are putting on it. Now how much illegal activity do you think is going on there? Answer is none.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 16:39   #115
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

personal opinion, the new traffic policy is OK if you are with 100mb package
if you extend it still let you with 50mb which still fast enough just hope ping/latency will not go up if ever happens
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 16:59   #116
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

I just want them to fix the damn ping and latency issues. The STM is more than reasonable, can't see myself downloading over 20GB between 10-3pm, however the 4-9pm is a little tight at 10gb, would prefer a 20/20 limit.

As stated, they keep increasing the prices and speed but restrict your ability to use it fully. I would much prefer they INVEST in their NETWORK and sort out this utilisation issues than double my speeds then STM me if I happen to trip over the line once in a while!
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 17:08   #117
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I'm wondering what happens between 1500 and 1600 since there doesn't seem to be any STM over that hour. (Wish we'd use 24hr time!)

1000-1500 = 20GB
1600-2100 = 10GB
Old 02-04-2012, 17:20   #118
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

You download all you possibly can during that hour? XD

I'm setting my VMs to do their updates and cronjobs at that hour

But yeah those figures are a joke... Wouldn't have minded upstream STM but they've pretty much completely changed the product.

Point of 50/100 was the lack of STM (then the upload boost came in and I didn't really mind because I don't torrent)

Whats the point of having 100Mbit if you are going to be at 50Mbit most of the time.. they shouldve just kept 50Mbit and spun it as a free speedboost for the first 20GB of data and 10GB at night since thats pretty much what it is...

Guess I'm just waiting for BT to deploy 80/20 FTTC...
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 17:35   #119
Sigma
Inactive

Services: TV XL/Phone XL/BB XL
Sigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the rough

I've got no complaints about this.

A week ago, I had a 20 Mbps connection that would get cut to 5 Mbps if I downloaded over 7GB in the day, or 3.5GB in the evening.

Now I have a 60 Mbps connection that will get cut to 30 Mbps (i.e. 50% faster than my max speed a week ago) if I download over 10GB in the day or 5GB in the evening.

Obviously I would prefer there to be no STM at all, but I don't understand some of the gripes. If you had 50 Mbps, you're getting your speed doubled to 100 Mbps for free and if the STM kicks in, you'll be back down to 50 Mbps again (so no worse off), but for a large chunk of the day you'll be able to download at 100 Mbps.
Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 17:36   #120
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

This dosnt seem at all fair. I am paying exactly the same as 100Mb customers, being on xxl50, yet I can only download half the amount before I'm traffic managed, at that point I'll get 25mb speeds so a quarter of the 100mb peeps for the same price.

Surely this cant be correct? I'm only due to be doubled between oct and july 2013, so I'll be paying for a far inferior service for between 7 months and 15 months.

Regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote