Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 03-04-2012, 13:11   #166
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Blairhoyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Ben,

so not only are we getting it reduced if we meet the allowance we also get our speeds lowered even if we DON'T reach the allowance cap?
Blairhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2012, 13:16   #167
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhoyle View Post
Ben,

so not only are we getting it reduced if we meet the allowance we also get our speeds lowered even if we DON'T reach the allowance cap?
No, I'm saying that is what you get reduced by WHEN you hit the trigger. I misread your post - you only get reduced if you hit the trigger, otherwise you continue with the full headline speed
Old 03-04-2012, 13:20   #168
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
No, I'm saying that is what you get reduced by WHEN you hit the trigger. I misread your post - you only get reduced if you hit the trigger, otherwise you continue with the full headline speed
so I should be fine watching my HD video online at peak hours then?

Last night I hit a major issue which I believe may have been caused by 3 downloads that were taking place at the same time which were files of 4GB, 3GB and 500MB in size. Should be noted that I cancelled the 4GB one before it was finished.

only after 9pm did I manage to watch my HD link.

I won't be downloading anything tonight when I'm watching my HD link, should I get the buffering and stuttering then I may have to review my contract with Virgin altogether.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:27   #169
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairhoyle View Post
so I should be fine watching my HD video online at peak hours then?
If you don't hit the trigger limit, yes.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 14:08   #170
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

yep
Old 03-04-2012, 17:54   #171
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road

Can someone tell me how to monitor how much my connection has downloaded using standard VM supplied equipment?

Of course I mean multiple devices, including Sky Anytime+, Xbox, Smartphones, PC(s), Tablet, Mac.

Seems to be a basic requirement, but from what I know VM supply no way of monitoring ones usage?
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 18:25   #172
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Can someone tell me how to monitor how much my connection has downloaded using standard VM supplied equipment?

Of course I mean multiple devices, including Sky Anytime+, Xbox, Smartphones, PC(s), Tablet, Mac.

Seems to be a basic requirement, but from what I know VM supply no way of monitoring ones usage?
The only way of doing that that I can think of, is running your own router with sufficient logging (such as a router running DDWRT and/or Tomato) which would be able to capture ALL traffic flowing through it to ALL your devices. Otherwise run everything through another PC/piece of hardware that can capture such information like a PC built as a gateway/firewall etc.

How do other people do this?
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 18:27   #173
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Through a router running tomato...
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 19:16   #174
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

If the superhub was as super as they say it is it would let you monitor your usage just like most routers these days

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:18   #175
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

the superhub running in router mode does monitor useage, just not well, it doesnt pick up some things like some wireless phones, and stunts others
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:21   #176
Blairhoyle
Inactive

right troops I have an issue here.

I have just done a speedtest on thinkbroadband that came back with a downspeed of 2Mb.

I then started streaming my HD video and there is no problems, no buffering no stammering on the link.

is that test site reliable?
Old 03-04-2012, 21:24   #177
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

peering to thinkbroadband is red hot from VM connections, the site is reliable but VM are not
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:29   #178
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
peering to thinkbroadband is red hot from VM connections, the site is reliable but VM are not
so what you are saying is that the speed results that the website is getting from VM are not reliable?
Old 03-04-2012, 21:57   #179
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

how much is this in Gigabits

Attachment 23312
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:17   #180
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

A GB is 1024 MB so roughly speaking divide those numbers by 1000 to get GB.
So (in round numbers) last month was about 2GB a day on average and 60GB for the month
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote