Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 02-04-2012, 20:56   #136
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Then you shouldn't be using a home consumer service for business use.

(Yes, I know you're not a business yourself, but I am technically correct; if not 100% serious )
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2012, 22:03   #137
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Just one dam minute these measure affect those who

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Be a server for an online game
Voip calls
Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home

The list is longer and i am sure others could add to that

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

So what is this normal activity you talk about
you could add in Sky Anytime + as they are now allowing any Broadband provider to stream their stuff including HD films.

Anyone know what the average size of an HD film would be on Sky Anytime+?
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 22:50   #138
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
Anyone know what the average size of an HD film would be on Sky Anytime+?
You can't get HD films via Anytime+. They still get downloaded via the satellite
Old 02-04-2012, 22:52   #139
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
I work for them and i don't like the new limits, So whats your answer to that ?

Indeed if you do any of these you will suffer

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Voip calls

The list is longer and i am sure others could add to that

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

I take it you dont have a big family doing any of these

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Voip calls

Use Workaway
So your saying ever night or most nights you watch films TV shows play online games upload data to an FTP a website all at the same time surely not plus "Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home" won't use your VM broadband.

I admit families now use more bandwidth but you got 12Gb worth to upload I am sure you'll be between 5-9
Old 02-04-2012, 22:52   #140
Sigma
Inactive

Services: TV XL/Phone XL/BB XL
Sigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the roughSigma is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
I'm not surprised that your happy with the new STM. You work for VM after all.
I don't work for VM but I am happy with the new STM limits, simply because there is no situation where I am worse off than I was before.

Perhaps I'm just not understanding the nature of the gripes though. I do understand why people who have not yet been upgraded are unhappy, but post-upgrade everyone will be better off than they were previously, won't they?
Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 23:00   #141
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

It better fix this crap!!

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 23:02   #142
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

I would be happy with the stm if i actually downloaded enough to trigger it my 100 meg connection has been painfully slow since 5pm and downloading from newsgroups is now a total joke well done virgin in destroying any faith i ever had in you.How can it be acceptable for virgin to keep on charging full price for a now sub standard service there is nothing quite like having your cake and eating it.
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 00:32   #143
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
It better fix this crap!!

only time will tell, as the top 2 tiers will now get download stm when they previously didnt and the top 1 tier will get upload stm when it previously didnt, I suspect the prime cause of your messy graph is upstream congestion. There is also rumoured 2nd US channels coming, and if its truly new capacity (not bonding existing 2nd channel) then that will improve things.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:02   #144
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

found this from a board with complains about new traffic from VM
http://www.cap.org.uk/Media-Centre/2...20%282%29.ashx
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:47   #145
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
So your saying ever night or most nights you watch films TV shows play online games upload data to an FTP a website all at the same time surely not plus "Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home" won't use your VM broadband.

I admit families now use more bandwidth but you got 12Gb worth to upload I am sure you'll be between 5-9
Its not the upload i am worried about, Its the download in the evening that worries me and its affect on my connection. It will get reduced because i dared to use it for anything other than browsing or checking my mail.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:47   #146
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Its not the upload i am worried about, Its the download in the evening that worries me and its affect on my connection. It will get reduced because i dared to use it for anything other than browsing or checking my mail.
If you do 10GB of an evening browsing and reading email you must be a very very fast reader. Even if you hit STM then the 50Mbps you'll be restricted to is plenty good enough for a very large family to browse and read email.

To avoid the growing problem of oversubscription VM would need a much more draconian STM. That means it will still be a post code lottery on whether or not you get close to the headline speeds.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:23   #147
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
were the old 30meg STM limits the same as the new one? cant remember.
Yeah.

Old: http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tm-table-fu-large.jpg

You just go down to 50% speed instead of 75% speed when STM'd.

I'm sure someone said the threshold's were changing too. I Must have misunderstood.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:52   #148
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Some of the things you listed can surely be done after before the STM windows kick in, plus 50Mb could handle a few family members steaming.

I am not trying too nit pick Sirius but why not test it then see if it really does affect you that much.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56   #149
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
found this from a board with complains about new traffic from VM
http://www.cap.org.uk/Media-Centre/2...20%282%29.ashx
Thanks for that. Although I have only glanced through the document, it certainly seems to prove that VM are working within the rules when advertising their service as "unlimited". Though I'm sure this fact will annoy a certain number of people. Wish I'd found it myself years ago back in the days of the VM newsgroups
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08   #150
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Some of the things you listed can surely be done after before the STM windows kick in, plus 50Mb could handle a few family members steaming.

I am not trying too nit pick Sirius but why not test it then see if it really does affect you that much.
I will be testing it and if its affecting me drastically then i am willing to pay for infinity.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote