Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 02-04-2012, 17:48   #121
philipp
Inactive

Services: vivid 200. 3 tivos with all main channels.
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
This dosnt seem at all fair. I am paying exactly the same as 100Mb customers, being on xxl50, yet I can only download half the amount before I'm traffic managed, at that point I'll get 25mb speeds so a quarter of the 100mb peeps for the same price.

Surely this cant be correct? I'm only due to be doubled between oct and july 2013, so I'll be paying for a far inferior service for between 7 months and 15 months.

Regards

John
I agree with this. But the limit isn't bad itself. BUT they could have thought it out better for pre and post upgrade as we are paying the same.
philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2012, 17:54   #122
jimexbox
Inactive

jimexbox is on a distinguished roadjimexbox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
This dosnt seem at all fair. I am paying exactly the same as 100Mb customers, being on xxl50, yet I can only download half the amount before I'm traffic managed, at that point I'll get 25mb speeds so a quarter of the 100mb peeps for the same price.

Surely this cant be correct? I'm only due to be doubled between oct and july 2013, so I'll be paying for a far inferior service for between 7 months and 15 months.

Regards

John
My XL 30 to 60Mb upgrade wasn't due till April-July, I still (and did) upgrade to XXL 100Mb. Costs just a few quid more than 30Mb. Check to see if your area is 100Mb ready and ring customer services up, it will be a new 12month contact.
jimexbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 17:57   #123
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

so let me get this straight, on 10mbit upload it is alright for me to upload 12gb, but on 100mbit down I can only download 10gb? That sounds backwards to me. 20gb down during the day is beyond poo. If it is alright to upload 12gb in the evening on 10mbit up(which I doubt any of us will ever do) then we should be able to download 120gb during the day on 100mbit down. You are talking about hitting the stm in 18 minutes and being screwed for the next 5 hours.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:02   #124
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimexbox View Post
My XL 30 to 60Mb upgrade wasn't due till April-July, I still (and did) upgrade to XXL 100Mb. Costs just a few quid more than 30Mb. Check to see if your area is 100Mb ready and ring customer services up, it will be a new 12month contact.
Im already paying the same as 100MB customers, but only getting a 50Mb service, with worse STM terms. Thats my point.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:21   #125
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

I can say I am happy with the new STM limits can't see my self downloading 20Gb in the day.
Old 02-04-2012, 18:28   #126
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

I'm not surprised that your happy with the new STM. You work for VM after all.
Old 02-04-2012, 18:37   #127
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Ok so the issue remains really.

The downstream is too restrictive, 20gig on a 100mbit connection? I think I remember posting I thought 90gig would be reasonable.

The upstream on the other hand seems too generous based on what state the upstreams are in.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:45   #128
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 18:48   #129
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

were the old 30meg STM limits the same as the new one? cant remember.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 19:14   #130
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Where it says 5h STM for reaching the limit is that 5 hours from what ever time you reach it? i.e. If i reach the 20gb cap on the 100mb service at 14.55 will I then be capped till 8 O'clock? Also If I then meet the 10gb limit on the 50% speed, between 4 and 9, Lets say by 5 O'Clock will it then add another 5 hours onto my time, so I would get my full speed back till 1am the next morning

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Throwing my hat into the ring on the illegal downloading acusation.. South Korea's largest Internet Provider KT (which is considered to have the worlds most advanced and fastest broadband) is blocking Samsung smart TV's from it's network because of the incredible strain they are putting on it. Now how much illegal activity do you think is going on there? Answer is none.
I have a Samsung PS64D8000 smart TV, why are they using so much data.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 19:24   #131
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Just because I work for VM doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do I have my own views and as I have no desire to download the internet then I am happy with STM limits, if I was unhappy with the new limits then I would have stated I don't agree with them.

I really don't see the need to download 20Gb everyday during the day unless it illegal, you can only install 1 linux distro at a time.
Old 02-04-2012, 19:48   #132
Jelly
Inactive

Jelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
The elephant in the room here is that these measure, whatever one thinks of them, would not be required if people stopped regarding copyright-theft as a basic human right.

Of course the ISPs, including Virginmedia, are themselves to blame for a lot of this emphasising the raw download speed, which can only really be of interest to those who live to download the internet each night.

These latest restrictions by Virginmedia are actually quite reasonable in my opinion, and won't really handicap anyone engaged in normal internet activity.
i used to think like you, then when i started getting my entertainment legitimately i realised i download more data than ever. now i have to take into account how many youtube videos i can watch or whether i want to download a patch. its cool and not stupid at all
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 19:54   #133
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I work for them and i don't like the new limits, So whats your answer to that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
i used to think like you, then when i started getting my entertainment legitimately i realised i download more data than ever. now i have to take into account how many youtube videos i can watch or whether i want to download a patch. its cool and not stupid at all
Indeed if you do any of these you will suffer

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Be a server for an online game
Voip calls
Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home

The list is longer and i am sure others could add to that

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post

I really don't see the need to download 20Gb everyday during the day unless it illegal, you can only install 1 linux distro at a time.
I take it you dont have a big family doing any of these

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Be a server for an online game
Voip calls
Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home

Use Workaway

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 20:14   #134
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2810i View Post
Where it says 5h STM for reaching the limit is that 5 hours from what ever time you reach it? i.e. If i reach the 20gb cap on the 100mb service at 14.55 will I then be capped till 8 O'clock? Also If I then meet the 10gb limit on the 50% speed, between 4 and 9, Lets say by 5 O'Clock will it then add another 5 hours onto my time, so I would get my full speed back till 1am the next morning :confused
Yup, you are stm'd for 5 hours from when you hit so your downstream would be reduced by 50% for 5 hours taking you to 19:55 but this is independant of your upstream. If your upstream was chopped by 75% at 1700 for 5 hours (taking you to 2200) your downstream would still go back to 100% at 19:55
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 20:18   #135
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

I do a lot of mapping in work, but the only way to actually get the maps from the OS into our office is for me to download them at home.

One set of tiles for the UK is 30GB. So I'll be STM'd once a month at least, yay
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote