Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 02-04-2012, 14:26   #91
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Sorry, I meant to ask, when speeds are doubled what will Size:L be called?

XL or ML20?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2012, 14:30   #92
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It'll be L (up to 20Mbit) on the bill I believe. But in the table it's ML20 as M and L are being merged into the same tier
Old 02-04-2012, 14:33   #93
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

So the virgin website shows me as being on the new super duper doubled speed but its still 100 meg not the 120 meg it should be. They say thats a problem with the website but have not fixed it yet, .

So who wants to bet they still give me the new traffic management even when they have not given me the 120 meg

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:33   #94
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
So the virgin website shows me as being on the new super duper doubled speed but its still 100 meg not the 120 it should be if i was on the new teir

Bet they give me the new traffic management even when they have not given me the 120 meg
120Mbit hasn't launched yet - that's later this year
Old 02-04-2012, 14:39   #95
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by By Mcr View Post
120 Mbit hasn't launched yet - that's later this year
So later this year for the traffic management for existing 100 meg users then is it ??, Because that's my upgrade to super duper speed and they say this traffic management does not hit you till you are upgraded, i hope i don't get the new traffic management now because that means there pulling a fast one YET AGAIN.

Old 02-04-2012, 14:40   #96
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
So later this year for the traffic management, Because that's my upgrade to super duper speed and they say this does not hit you till then, i hope i don't get the new traffic management now because that means there pulling a fast one YET AGAIN.
Traffic Management on 50 and 100Mbit does apply now. Virgin have never sold either as being a guaranteed unmanaged connection
Old 02-04-2012, 14:42   #97
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Traffic Management on 50 and 100Mbit does apply now. Virgin have never sold either as being a guaranteed unmanaged connection
So does the new traffic management affect those that have NOT been upgraded ?

Quote:
As customers are migrated to their fantastic new speeds during the Speed Doubling program, we’ll be relaxing our traffic management policy by expanding their traffic management trigger thresholds.
So why will i be hit now when my upgrade has not happened yet ??

Old 02-04-2012, 14:43   #98
jimexbox
Inactive

jimexbox is on a distinguished roadjimexbox is on a distinguished road

Its there now...

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...E=Cable#double
jimexbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:46   #99
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
So does the new traffic managment affect those that have NOT been upgraded ?
Yes
Old 02-04-2012, 14:49   #100
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes
Then the rest is " Whats the chuffing point" i think you will get the rest from that

Old 02-04-2012, 14:49   #101
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

The elephant in the room here is that these measure, whatever one thinks of them, would not be required if people stopped regarding copyright-theft as a basic human right.

Of course the ISPs, including Virginmedia, are themselves to blame for a lot of this emphasising the raw download speed, which can only really be of interest to those who live to download the internet each night.

These latest restrictions by Virginmedia are actually quite reasonable in my opinion, and won't really handicap anyone engaged in normal internet activity.
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:53   #102
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
The elephant in the room here is that these measure, whatever one thinks of them, would not be required if people stopped regarding copyright-theft as a basic human right.
Just one dam minute these measure affect those who

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Be a server for an online game
Voip calls
Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home

The list is longer and i am sure others could add to that

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

Quote:

These latest restrictions by Virginmedia are actually quite reasonable in my opinion, and won't really handicap anyone engaged in normal internet activity.
So what is this normal activity you talk about

Old 02-04-2012, 14:54   #103
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Of course the ISPs, including Virginmedia, are themselves to blame for a lot of this emphasising the raw download speed, which can only really be of interest to those who live to download the internet each night.

Yeah cause there really isnt any legal way to download a lot of data...Patch World of Warcraft or use the download to play, buy some games from Steam, download Windows 8 beta etc there are plenty of legal ways to use a lot of data and its certainly normal internet activity.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 14:59   #104
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Yeah cause there really isnt any legal way to download a lot of data...Patch World of Warcraft or use the download to play, buy some games from Steam, download Windows 8 beta etc there are plenty of legal ways to use a lot of data and its certainly normal internet activity.
And don't mention using bit torrent to mirror the Raspberry pie isos like i am

Remember people think Bit Torrent is for illegal use only

Old 02-04-2012, 15:02   #105
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Normal internet activity? So now it is classed as abnormal use if we dare use the speed we are given? I just don't get why we keep coming back to this same argument. It has absolutely nothing to do with illegal downloading or abnormal internet use. The restrictions are there simply because the network can't cope with the high amount of traffic at these times. Yes I know its not a dedicated line and these traffic restrictions are here to help us also, but in seeing our speed doubled, we now have a new set of restrictions in place simply because they are cramming more people onto their network which can't cope. We should really look at our internet connections as the traffic managed speeds and then look at our full speed as a kind of boost "out of hours". It will be interesting to see how this plays out with BT and the competition out there.
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote