Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:51   #1486
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Any news on when we get the firefox app on tivo which lets us have a ton of extra apps?? it was firefox wasnt it??
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2015, 11:54   #1487
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
But what does that mean for existing 4K TV customers ?
The decoding hardware, whether it's in the TV itself or in an STB connected to the TV would need to be upgraded, and possibly replaced.

If the new codec requires a software update, it could probably upgraded remotely. If the new codec requires a hardware update, then you'd probably need a new TV or STB to get it.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:05   #1488
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The decoding hardware, whether it's in the TV itself or in an STB connected to the TV would need to be upgraded, and possibly replaced.

If the new codec requires a software update, it could probably upgraded remotely. If the new codec requires a hardware update, then you'd probably need a new TV or STB to get it.
Cheers Stuart that's what I thought , wonder whether the likes of Amazon Prime and Netflix will switch to this as they both currently use HEVC I believe.
Old 01-04-2015, 14:54   #1489
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Netflix CEO open to removing country content restrictions to cut piracy.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...#ixzz3W2Ktzfoy
Hopefully more companies will follow suit, makes sense in a way too.

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
Netflix teams with AWS to launch VHS-as-a-service

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04...rvice_variant/

What's the date again?
What interests me more about that is technically Netflix and Amazon working together.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Any news on when we get the firefox app on tivo which lets us have a ton of extra apps?? it was firefox wasnt it??
Was opera mate no further info yet i'll text some of my sources and see if they know any more info.
Old 01-04-2015, 15:26   #1490
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post

What interests me more about that is technically Netflix and Amazon working together.
Whoosh
Old 01-04-2015, 16:03   #1491
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Or that it was posted on April fools day
Old 01-04-2015, 16:12   #1492
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Old 01-04-2015, 16:23   #1493
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Hey i hadn't had my coffee haha in a way it's karma for the jokes i've been playing on my usa friends lol.

Not a April fools joke but here is a picture of quality of bt sports app on firetv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150401_161951375.jpg (212.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-04-2015, 16:30   #1494
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Whoosh
Think that's a GOTCHA
Old 01-04-2015, 18:31   #1495
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Hopefully more companies will follow suit, makes sense in a way too.

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Was opera mate no further info yet i'll text some of my sources and see if they know any more info.
Thanks pal!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:26   #1496
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Netflix already relies heavily on AWS for its infrastructure.
Old 02-04-2015, 19:42   #1497
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

So my contract comes to a end in August and I am now looking at alternatives for TV. This week I purchased a nexus Player and installed Kodi, quite impressed with the Kodi side of things but less impressed with netflix only offering two channel sound and no 5.1.

I think tomorrow I will get a fire TV and do the same with installing Kodi. One will go in the living room and one in the bedroom. I think the Fire TV will be the bedroom box as it has access to both Netflix and Amazon Instant.

The Nexus will live in the living room and I think both my popcorn hours can then be retired.

But this now leaves a gap for apps for TV, my Ariel is rubbish so looking for TV via IP, will be an interesting few months.
Old 02-04-2015, 19:54   #1498
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
So my contract comes to a end in August and I am now looking at alternatives for TV. This week I purchased a nexus Player and installed Kodi, quite impressed with the Kodi side of things but less impressed with netflix only offering two channel sound and no 5.1.

I think tomorrow I will get a fire TV and do the same with installing Kodi. One will go in the living room and one in the bedroom. I think the Fire TV will be the bedroom box as it has access to both Netflix and Amazon Instant.

The Nexus will live in the living room and I think both my popcorn hours can then be retired.

But this now leaves a gap for apps for TV, my Ariel is rubbish so looking for TV via IP, will be an interesting few months.
Don't know if the Nexus is the same as the Fire but I learned the hard way that the Fire only puts out 5.1 via HDMI - not Optical. I wanted to use Optical because I've been using an LG Bluray with 5.1 speaker system as an amp and it doesn't have HDMI in. Long story short, ended up buying a Portta 4x2 HDMI switcher with Optical out and that does the trick by extracting audio from the HDMI.

Passingbat (member on here) has given me some excellent advice and I've now purchased a Pioneer amp & 5.1 speaker system - hoping to be fully operation by the end of Easter.
Old 02-04-2015, 21:11   #1499
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

I briefly read a review of the Nexus player and the lack of 5.1, so read no further. Do ripped DVDs played via Kodi give 5.1?

If you keep BB and phone, you should be able to keep one Tivo with M TV at no extra charge.
Old 02-04-2015, 21:23   #1500
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:

It may be worth looking into the Windows tv sticks and boxes that have started to show up, i'm quite interested in these myself and am very close to purchasing a pipex 7 windows 8.1 box a bit pricey though at £149.
Closed Thread