Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Muslim Waitress Sacked for Refusing to Wear Red Dress.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Muslim Waitress Sacked for Refusing to Wear Red Dress.

Old 22-12-2008, 18:04   #61
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Muslim Waitress Sacked for Refusing to Wear Red Dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well we'll see..I have confidence on the good sense of the courts over this issue.
Don't forget these are the same courts that send a Fraudster to 11 years and a 5 years each to a gang that raped a 14 year old.
Old 22-12-2008, 18:13   #62
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Don't forget these are the same courts that send a Fraudster to 11 years and a 5 years each to a gang that raped a 14 year old.
yep those darn fraudsters ( never could figure out why we put some one in jail for money reasons when it just costs us more to keep them there ( perhaps community service should be able to be given for years instead of hours till they pay it back ) )

though the tribunal system tends to be a little more lenient to employers most of the time but i think they may be on a looser with this one
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 19:22   #63
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

IF, we released some inmates from a prison, who should not be in there, that could do community services, half the prisons would be empty, it costs a staggering £1.500 per week per inmate, and we pay that.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 21:40   #64
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Could you please stick to the topic.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 08:11   #65
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
lol

but back to the point

what she wears other wise isn't the point if she doesn't feel comfortable in it in front of people that's up to her

i think the religion thing is not what she should have approached this from but in any case no one should be forced into doing anything they are not happy with

even under the old rules industrial tribunals worked under i think they would be on a loosing wicket

they have often upheld a right for an employer to ask staff to wear uniforms but only where they can show they required a similar standard for any men working there plus that what was being put forward to wear was what was normaly expected and that has been found on many occasions not to include short dresses

the only real way they could insist on this is if it was part of a contract at the very beginning of her contract and now even if they did that they would then have to show they were putting in place measures to protect their staff from any unwanted contact

lol though if they win i might order French maid outfits for the nursery staff they could look good with them playing on the floor with the kids while i sort the computers out

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

what if this bar has primarily male customers and the idea is for staff to look attractive for who they serving? little point in making men wear revealing clothing then is there. Of course we dont know what any male staff have to wear there if there even is male bar staff there.

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 ----------

Quote:
So any male bar staff should be happy to wear it then?
if they not they dont work there simple as.

I think the argument against wearing it seems to be based on women been equal to men, in this case the women is been used as a tool to keep customers in the bar, there is nothing illegal in this. The other female bar staff have even said they have no problem with this.

If she is uncomfortable with the job then she dont work there. I dont see whats so complicated about it. You expect employers to change there policies based on an employee simply not feeling comfortable?

Its like all these silly stories I keep reading about chemist staff refusing to sell certian drugs, butchers refusing to handle meat etc.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 10:33   #66
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well in the present financial crisis I suspect whatever her reasons for objecting, more and more folk are going to to have to read the rules before taking on a job OR just lump it because a job is a job in a time of increasing unemployment.

Old 23-12-2008, 13:10   #67
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
what if this bar has primarily male customers and the idea is for staff to look attractive for who they serving? little point in making men wear revealing clothing then is there. Of course we dont know what any male staff have to wear there if there even is male bar staff
there the idea fails if they admit its revealing clothing then she will win unless they are admitting it is more ofa lapdaning type club in which case she most likey would still win as they maintain it is just a bar

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Quote:
s.

I think the argument against wearing it seems to be based on women been equal to men, in this case the women is been used as a tool to keep customers in the bar, there is nothing illegal in this. The other female bar staff have even said they have no problem with this.

If she is uncomfortable with the job then she dont work there. I dont see whats so complicated about it. You expect employers to change there policies based on an employee simply not feeling comfortable?

Its like all these silly stories I keep reading about chemist staff refusing to sell certian drugs, butchers refusing to handle meat etc.

they are only stories lately about a certain religion the law in this country has been clear on those points for years but as it was mostly Christians ( of which i am one ) and Jews who were affected

no chemist or in fact nurse/dr can be maid to give out prescriptions that cause abortions or take part in doing one if it goes against their conscience

same goes in a butchers if the meat is not allowed to be touched as part of their religion

from my faith most wont handle cigarettes none of these things make it to the papers but they have been a part of life in this country for a long time so yes employers have to alter some things to conform to things the staff will do

and if this dress had been of medium or long length and less revealing they would be able to insist on it they could make them wear pink uniforms with yellow spots on them if they wish

but the rules have never allowed them to force staff except where it is explicitly pointed out before they get the job ( strippers poll dances etc ) to require staff to wear things they feel vulnerable in

this country doesn't treat staff a slaves unlike some other countries

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 20:25   #68
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
...I think the argument against wearing it seems to be based on women been equal to men, in this case the women is been used as a tool to keep customers in the bar, there is nothing illegal in this. The other female bar staff have even said they have no problem with this....
I suppose a lawyer could make a case for "constructive dismissal", if the employer knew the women would refuse to abide by the new dress code.

Quote:
.... You expect employers to change there policies based on an employee simply not feeling comfortable?...
Erm, yes. For example, there are rules imposed on employers to make sure their office staff are sitting comfortably at their desks - height on monitor, angle of elbows, etc.

Quote:
...Its like all these silly stories I keep reading about chemist staff refusing to sell certian drugs, ....
In that particular case the chemist was abiding by rules of professional conduct.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 20:39   #69
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

This story is getting laughable, everytime l read this; She goes for a job in a bar, she must have been told up front, what she would have to wear, she is then asked to where a revealing red dress as part of the job, as she doesn't like it, she claims for an tribunal, it can't be constructive dismissal, and if she gets a tribunal victory, she will open the gates for more trival claims, as this is what this is.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 21:52   #70
Curry Master.
Inactive

Services: 2meg cable broadband & freeview.
Curry Master. is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so shallow i'd drown in a puddle but i'd employ her to serve me drinks & if she did'nt like the dress she could take it off!!!!!!!
Curry Master. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 04:32   #71
the_neurotic_cat
Inactive

the_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of lightthe_neurotic_cat is a glorious beacon of light

My first impression is that I admire this Fata Lemes. It's nice to hear of a young attractive woman who doesn't equate being a strong woman with exposing her body.

I feel it's wrong that she should be expected to put up with sexual approaches from customers whilst she is doing her job. The fact that it was a bar is completely irrelevant. A bar is not a brothel and she is not a prostitute.

If Lemes wishes to wear revealing clothing whilst off duty that is a personal choice in personal time and is also irrelevant. Lemes also needs to understand that she doesn't have to defend her desire to cover up whilst on shift by reffering to her religion. An employer has no right to make you expose your body against your will. If this was something that Lemes knew she would have to do before she accepted the job it might be different.

I can't be bothered to type anything else right now.
the_neurotic_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 10:22   #72
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_neurotic_cat View Post
My first impression is that I admire this Fata Lemes. It's nice to hear of a young attractive woman who doesn't equate being a strong woman with exposing her body.

I feel it's wrong that she should be expected to put up with sexual approaches from customers whilst she is doing her job. The fact that it was a bar is completely irrelevant. A bar is not a brothel and she is not a prostitute.

If Lemes wishes to wear revealing clothing whilst off duty that is a personal choice in personal time and is also irrelevant. Lemes also needs to understand that she doesn't have to defend her desire to cover up whilst on shift by reffering to her religion. An employer has no right to make you expose your body against your will. If this was something that Lemes knew she would have to do before she accepted the job it might be different.

I can't be bothered to type anything else right now.
You don't need to as you've made an excellent post already.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 10:43   #73
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

The thing is - the dress is not revealing.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 10:49   #74
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
The thing is - the dress is not revealing.
Sorry Russ I have to disagree on that one..it's extremely clingy and shows everything including panty lines and whether yo have a bra on or not.Those jersey type dresses are awful for showing all your flabby bits too.

Like I said earlier in the thread the bosses should be done over by the fashion police as it's a truly awful dress..
Old 30-12-2008, 10:51   #75
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Sorry Russ I have to disagree on that one..it's extremely clingy and shows everything including panty lines and whether yo have a bra on or not.Those jersey type dresses are awful for showing all your flabby bits too.

Like I said earlier in the thread the bosses should be done over by the fashion police as it's a truly awful dress..
I think Russ meant to say, Not Revealing Enough lol
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote