Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Muslim Waitress Sacked for Refusing to Wear Red Dress.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Muslim Waitress Sacked for Refusing to Wear Red Dress.

Old 22-12-2008, 00:49   #31
dgardner

Re: Muslim Waitress Sacked for Refusing to Wear Red Dress.

Ive read the telegraph report in the link provided and get the impression that she refused to wear the dress immediately so why is she smiling in the photo and why did she allow herself to be photographed in it
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2008, 01:11   #32
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
Ive read the telegraph report in the link provided and get the impression that she refused to wear the dress immediately so why is she smiling in the photo and why did she allow herself to be photographed in it
It's not the same woman.
Old 22-12-2008, 05:45   #33
dgardner

Ah that explains it.
Old 22-12-2008, 10:19   #34
The Hitman
Inactive

The Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
she looks pretty wasted in her pic also just a money grabbing scam. Wish I had something that made me a minority you know to expoilt. I got red hair people are always prejuduced towards me. Pay me pay me lol

Put on a red dress. Go out to a bar on a Saturday night. You might be offered 50p. If you are lucky.Very lucky I might add
The Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 10:30   #35
zing_deleted

Id have to pay them lol
Old 22-12-2008, 10:39   #36
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
it may have been normal in the past but any place doing that today risks many things least of those would be this sort of action

because if their staff get harassed in a sexual manner they will have to show they did their best to stop it happening

now hat wont mean pole dancers would be able to claim for their type of work but it would mean some one serving food and drinks would

ofcourse if we want old fashioned values we could get all those ladies tied back to the kitchen sinks
if she has legit concerns of sexual harrassment thats a different matter, its a reason why some bars and clubs have bouncers. SO if she has a complaint she is been sexually harrassed and the employer hasnt got adequate policies to deal with it then fair enough, but she is rambling on about wearing a uniform as well.

Of course its usual for some bars to have women wearing revealing clothing for a very obvious reason which I hope I dont have to explain.

When I first read the article I thought she was asked to wear it and was the only one asked, but now I understand its a uniform for all the bar staff I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Dont you see the idiocy of the claim when you see the clothing she wears in the picture of her normal clothes?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 10:46   #37
zing_deleted

I was employed by a few women not so long back and I had to complain about sexual harassment. I went into the office and stood in front of them and said " I have a complaint. I want to be sexually harassed "
Old 22-12-2008, 10:47   #38
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

People keep mentioning what she is wearing in the picture. That could be an old pic. She could have changed her ways since.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 10:49   #39
zing_deleted

is it true that muslims have to stay clear of alcohol? if yes then she had not changed enough not to work in a bar
Old 22-12-2008, 11:01   #40
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I was employed by a few women not so long back and I had to complain about sexual harassment. I went into the office and stood in front of them and said " I have a complaint. I want to be sexually harassed "
lol

but back to the point

what she wears other wise isn't the point if she doesn't feel comfortable in it in front of people that's up to her

i think the religion thing is not what she should have approached this from but in any case no one should be forced into doing anything they are not happy with

even under the old rules industrial tribunals worked under i think they would be on a loosing wicket

they have often upheld a right for an employer to ask staff to wear uniforms but only where they can show they required a similar standard for any men working there plus that what was being put forward to wear was what was normaly expected and that has been found on many occasions not to include short dresses

the only real way they could insist on this is if it was part of a contract at the very beginning of her contract and now even if they did that they would then have to show they were putting in place measures to protect their staff from any unwanted contact

lol though if they win i might order French maid outfits for the nursery staff they could look good with them playing on the floor with the kids while i sort the computers out

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:11   #41
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
Any job in a bar/pub attracts sexual attention, but this woman is trying to use her race to her advantage. In my local pub all the barmaids have had blokes pestering them, but the majority just know how to deal with them.
Actually, to nitpick for a while, it isn't her race. I've met a few Bosnians who are perfectly happy to wear revealing outfits. Having said that, I don't think they were practicing muslims though. It is a religious thing though.

I agree generally though. Most women I know who have been (or are) barmaids or watresses have just learned how to deal with sexual advances from men. Some just politely smile, and play along. Some politely smile and say no. Some just say eff off (or words to that effect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
I agree. If the article is true she is using Islam as the basis of her action. If she's doing this then I as a muslim would say she's being a hypocrite as she shouldnt be working in a bar in the first place.
True, she clearly doesn't have a problem with people getting drunk. Which is the greater sin in the Koran? Helping others have Alcohol or showing flesh?

Quote:
I think more people would have had more sympathy with her if she didnt cite religion and jut said that she felt uncomfortable wearing that outfit. No one should be forced to wear clothing they dont want to wear, if they feel its too revealing for arguments sake. I have seen barmaids dressed in far less revealing clothes then the dress in the picture so its not even like its part of the job to wear such a dress.
It's not really part of the job but the firm describe it as a "summary uniform". Not sure exactly what that means, but I take it to mean that while it isn't an official uniform (and therefore wearing it was a condition of employment), it was clear she was expected to wear it. If this was made clear, she has no right to complain.

Most jobs have no actual requirments for what people wear (beyond physical ones, such as the uniforms worn by Firemen), but the companies or organisations people work for may require uniforms.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:21   #42
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
True, she clearly doesn't have a problem with people getting drunk. Which is the greater sin in the Koran? Helping others have Alcohol or showing flesh?
Extremely good question....

The Koran's statements are purely about intoxication and that it makes muslims forget about god and prayer... So in essence a muslim could quite happily serve alcohol but not to other muslims....

It's Mohammed who later adds that Muslims should avoid alcohol and that is take literrally as Not to drink alcohol
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:28   #43
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Extremely good question....

The Koran's statements are purely about intoxication and that it makes muslims forget about god and prayer... So in essence a muslim could quite happily serve alcohol but not to other muslims....

It's Mohammed who later adds that Muslims should avoid alcohol and that is take literrally as Not to drink alcohol
Actually muslims should not profit from, or even be involved in selling and buying alcohol even for non muslims. It's to be avoided. Muslims follow the Koran and Hadith (teachings of the prophet Muhammed).
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 11:31   #44
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Actually muslims should not profit from, or even be involved in selling and buying alcohol even for non muslims. It's to be avoided. Muslims follow the Koran and Hadith (teachings of the prophet Muhammed).

there you go then she should not have worked in the bar so she has no place using religion as an excuse full stop. The courts will know this and laugh at her
Old 22-12-2008, 11:32   #45
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The problem though is that it's not actually stated as such in the Koran but instead as with most religions it's how people interpret the sayings....

Look at South Africa the boers took passages from the old testament about the Isrealites in Caanan and used it to justify slavery and later on aparthied....

But as religion is mainly about interpretations it then really is upto the individual....(pity not all religious people see it that way)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote