Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crackdown on 'rich' council house tenants

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Crackdown on 'rich' council house tenants

Old 05-07-2015, 20:05   #91
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Crackdown on 'rich' council house tenants

Everyone has a right to stay in a council house.

Just because someone has a nice car doesn't mean they can get a mortgage or a private let home.

There can be many factors, for example a poor credit rating can easily prevent people earning good money getting a home. That can also effect private lets too.

You can't tar everyone with the same brush.

Without knowing everyones personal cirmumstances you can't possibly comment.
Old 05-07-2015, 20:35   #92
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Just because someone has a nice car doesn't mean they can get a mortgage or a private let home.

There can be many factors, for example a poor credit rating can easily prevent people earning good money getting a home. That can also effect private lets too.

Everyone shouldn't have the right to stay in a council house

Sorry but I'm not one to suffer fools , poor credit is generally due to spending beyond their means so why should they be rewarded with cut price housing ?. If people lose a job and can't pay a mortgage then fair enough they are entitled to help but why should this help be indefinite ? , why when they start earning good money again should they not stand on their own two feet and leave the nanny holding their hand ?.
One of the lads at work started work with us after becoming bankrupt due to losing his job , that was 5 years ago , he managed to get a private rental property but after a lot of heartache over the years now has his own house. It's all about whether you have the drive to leave the nanny and better yourself or just sit back and take advantage of the fact that the current rules on the benefit and housing situation in this country is far too easy to exploit.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Just to add , the money for a decent car , and I'm talking from the experience in my area , very high end BMW and Mercs at £30000+ , either bought on pcp or not, any mortgage company would take you seriously when you're earning that sort of money.
Old 05-07-2015, 21:12   #93
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

we are going to need a few million more then
Old 05-07-2015, 22:24   #94
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
As I pointed out earlier yes I do
Well what are you complaining about then, as this won't affect You?

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Quote:
Agreed and those that can afford to pay the market rate that those in the private sector are paying should pay the same.

Quote:

There can be many factors, for example a poor credit rating can easily prevent people earning good money getting a home.
Just because they can't " get" a mortgage doesn't mean they can't "afford" a mortgage or to pay the current market rate in rent for their property.
Old 05-07-2015, 23:35   #95
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulky View Post
This, it annoys the hell out of me , the council estate at the back of us have recently all had new roofs with solar panels installed (my roof needs doing and I wouldn't be against having solar panels but can't afford it at present). The amount of the property's with really nice and new BMWs and Mercedes, 2 cars on the drive , obviously earning some serious money. I always thought council houses were there to help people struggling to afford their own property , surely as soon as they have a decent job and earn enough they should go private rental or get themselves on the property ladder ?
Old 06-07-2015, 00:39   #96
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

I am unsure how they would calculate your income
Will it be tenant and partner or the full household income

Currently I earn £17K my wife £0.
But my sons one is 19 and the other is 22 both earning about £15k
That would make us over the £ 30k threshold.
At my age no mortgage lender is going to lend me dilly s**t on £17k
The average private rent for a 3 bed around here is £750-£800 pm.
So with that in mind do I kick my sons out .
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:56   #97
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Sorry but I'm not one to suffer fools , poor credit is generally due to spending beyond their means so why should they be rewarded with cut price housing ?. If people lose a job and can't pay a mortgage then fair enough they are entitled to help but why should this help be indefinite ? , why when they start earning good money again should they not stand on their own two feet and leave the nanny holding their hand ?.
One of the lads at work started work with us after becoming bankrupt due to losing his job , that was 5 years ago , he managed to get a private rental property but after a lot of heartache over the years now has his own house. It's all about whether you have the drive to leave the nanny and better yourself or just sit back and take advantage of the fact that the current rules on the benefit and housing situation in this country is far too easy to exploit.

Just to add , the money for a decent car , and I'm talking from the experience in my area , very high end BMW and Mercs at £30000+ , either bought on pcp or not, any mortgage company would take you seriously when you're earning that sort of money.
Some people might just have a bit of bad luck. Lose a job and miss a few payments on things otherwise totally managable.

Then even with two good wages coming in eventually, no mortgage lend will agree, cause computer says no, even if income says its easily affordable and private rent costs way more than a monthly morgage payment does.

So council or HA rent is more sensible to allow saving money.
Old 06-07-2015, 17:49   #98
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
If you want to stop yourself looking a total idiot then read the post properly ,it is quite clear that "security is meaning secure tenancy ,I have no where said that I have a secure job ,I have for your benefit and the so others can see what a total plank you are quoted the post in question below

Quote:
I pay rent to a private registered landlord that happens to be an LA ,I have security and a good job so the only difference between me and a private landlord is that my house is better maintained and I get a secure tenancy instead of a 6 or 12 month one in a crap hole the landlord refuses to repair .

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Quote:

What about the tens of thousands needed for deposits since the crash ,what about age ,it takes people years to save deposits but according to your rules they should leave the council house that is their home ,that they probably have children living in and going to the local school and move out to a private rent with no security all because you don't like the idea of someone in a council house doing as well as you in life .There is a name for people with your attitude ,just can't say it on a family forum

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well what are you complaining about then, as this won't affect You?

Morally it is wrong imo,It looks like the profit component of rent levels will be added to LHA rent and taken from the LHA and used to pay of the national debt or at least go towards paying off the debt ,so it is actually a sort of house tax ,the more you earn the more you pay ,this will only encourage people to keep their earnings below a certain level exactly as the tax credit system does
Old 06-07-2015, 17:50   #99
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
post #29

I knew you would say that you know them ,

I pay rent to a private registered landlord that happens to be an LA ,I have security and a good job so the only difference between me and a private landlord is that my house is better maintained and I get a secure tenancy instead of a 6 or 12 month one in a crap hole the landlord refuses to repair .
Yeah he said it, and now tries to make out that he didn't say it... but not only that, he admits saying it, but not in the way it was meant to be said. Is that you Arthur?

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 18:05   #100
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
If you want to stop yourself looking a total idiot then read the post properly & other good stuff
What he said - with bells on.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 19:04   #101
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Yeah he said it, and now tries to make out that he didn't say it... but not only that, he admits saying it, but not in the way it was meant to be said. Is that you Arthur?
Old 06-07-2015, 19:07   #102
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Struggling with English again I see
Old 06-07-2015, 19:10   #103
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
struggling with reality again i see , you said it and we all read it .....
Old 06-07-2015, 19:18   #104
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
I struggle with many things in life, but admitting I'm wrong isn't one of them.

You should try it Martyh, it will set you free.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 21:53   #105
Bulky
Inactive

Quote:
If you want to stop yourself looking a total idiot then read the post properly ,it is quite clear that "security is meaning secure tenancy ,I have no where said that I have a secure job ,I have for your benefit and the so others can see what a total plank you are quoted the post in question below
I'm quite happy to look an idiot and you can quite happily explain what you have written but that's not how I read it , I'm glad you decided to back track on what you meant and now it is clear I'm a plank for thinking you had the intelligence for a proper discussion without insults

Quote:
What about the tens of thousands needed for deposits since the crash ,what about age ,it takes people years to save deposits but according to your rules they should leave the council house that is their home ,that they probably have children living in and going to the local school and move out to a private rent with no security all because you don't like the idea of someone in a council house doing as well as you in life .There is a name for people with your attitude ,just can't say it on a family forum
Agreed, it's just too difficult to leave the security of the Nanny which is why I agree with the proposed government plan , and only people like yourself have names for me with my attitude , and just to add when these spongers (doing as well as myself as you say) are still paying their subsidised rent in 10 years I'll be happily mortgage free at the ripe old age of 47 , i know which situation I'd rather be in ......