Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

Old 01-12-2016, 15:13   #1
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold
Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

Virgin Media has launched a new “Talk Protected” plan which will freeze line rental for its elderly and disabled customers who rely on their home phone the most.

This is a comprehensive phone-only plan designed for those who are often underserved in the UK telecoms market, have less choice and are not able to take full advantage of technology upgrades and new services.

Customers currently on Virgin Media’s phone-only plans who are over the age of 65, or have additional accessibility needs including hearing, sight, speech and mobility issues, will be upgraded to the new tier from January 2017.

Press Release: http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate...customers.html
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2016, 16:47   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

BT used to offer similar, I got huge phone bills when they stopped it as we had to call hospitals, clinics and the like very often to support our twins.

A shame it's for phone-only customers though.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 17:47   #3
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media freezes line rental for elderly and disabled landline customers

A nice move. My nan used to ne clobbered by Virgin with paper billing and non-DD charges.
It would be interesting to know how many customers will actually benefit from this though - I suspect very few in reality. Virgin haven't sold a landline-only service for several years, you've had to take another product as well, so it will only apply to customers on legacy tariffs.

Given Virgin and BT seem to have been frequntly quoted in press articles today as having the most expensive landline charges in the industry, I wonder if this is so they can claim to be cheaper - i.e. landline costs from £17.99.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 17:47   #4
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Virgin Media has launched a new “Talk Protected” plan which will freeze line rental for its elderly and disabled customers who rely on their home phone the most.

This is a comprehensive phone-only plan designed for those who are often underserved in the UK telecoms market, have less choice and are not able to take full advantage of technology upgrades and new services.

Customers currently on Virgin Media’s phone-only plans who are over the age of 65, or have additional accessibility needs including hearing, sight, speech and mobility issues, will be upgraded to the new tier from January 2017.

I am over 65, I have hearing impairment and I mobility disabled but as I have both TV and BB as my only entertainment I am barred from this the freezing of line rental!

So this is how VM treat there long standing customers, shame on VM!
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 17:55   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I am over 65, I have hearing impairment and I mobility disabled but as I have both TV and BB as my only entertainment I am barred from this the freezing of line rental!

Yes it is rather disappointing that this only includes standalone phone customers.
Old 01-12-2016, 19:04   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

This is aimed at those needing a phone service, but struggling to afford it, so presumably if you have other services they deem you able to afford the phone.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 19:43   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
This is aimed at those needing a phone service, but struggling to afford it, so presumably if you have other services they deem you able to afford the phone.

As I said I am mobility disabled so cannot get out and my only entertainment is the TV and BB.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 19:50   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

One would suspect there would be quite a few like you Ken l would imagine.
Old 01-12-2016, 22:22   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

A phone is considered to be essential, the Internet & Paid TV are not.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 22:28   #10
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post

Can't please everyone. I have a sore foot so do i deserve it? No doubt now there will thousand of disabled this disabled that, i've got this i've got that, screaming down the phone that they should also have it.

And you say SHAME on VM for treating there long standing customers like this?? It's a good move for the real needy and real vulnerable. I've paid my way for years, why can't i have a free service? Why can't i be first?

Last edited by sollp; 01-12-2016 at 22:35.
sollp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 23:00   #11
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

...and let's not forget that, if you are on a bundle, you're already probably paying less than the full £19 for the landline and likely even less than the £17.99 of this offer.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 23:34   #12
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Seems pretty paltry, especially as it's for phone only customers and line rental is already overpriced. Freezing a high price is only a good deal if it stays frozen for a few years.

BT offer a £5.10 per month offer for people on certain benefits, which luckily my 90 year old gran qualifies for. For an extra £5 a month she also gets broadband. Plus BT actually have a team of people dedicated to their older customers, so they dont have to deal with offshore agents and they are great when dealing with grandkids who are helping out
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:25   #13
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

My 96yr old mother has free TV (M) together with phone, although I believe she isn't registered as an old/disabled customer.
As she hasn't a bank account, all payments are managed by a younger member of family.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:35   #14
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

Interesting topic I'm mentally disabled and spend most of the time watching TV I'm 65

Last edited by jodash; 02-12-2016 at 11:36. Reason: More info
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 14:58   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

It won't benefit me personally, but I know some disabled people who will, so shall pass this on

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
Can't please everyone. I have a sore foot so do i deserve it? No doubt now there will thousand of disabled this disabled that, i've got this i've got that, screaming down the phone that they should also have it.

And you say SHAME on VM for treating there long standing customers like this?? It's a good move for the real needy and real vulnerable. I've paid my way for years, why can't i have a free service? Why can't i be first?
Ridiculous post.

Simply having a temporary sore foot would not qualify someone for disability services as i'm sure you are aware.

They will probably use various criteria such as being in receipt of certain benefits, receiving Local Authority services etc.

Gloating that you're able to pay your own way isn't helpful to the disabled who aren't able to, don't forget that many of them worked when they could.

I plan to work for as long as I can, but have had to reduce my hours.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote