Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Thinking of moving from VM to Sky do i have to change phoneline?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Thinking of moving from VM to Sky do i have to change phoneline?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:12   #1
Wilson
Inactive

Services: VM BB: M, Phone: L. Sky+ with Sports
Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Thinking of moving from VM to Sky do i have to change phoneline?

My contract runs out in January and I'm on VM for TV, BB and Phone, but i'm thinking of going over to Sky to save some cash. But I don't have a BT line in the house i've moved into, it was last used bout 7 yrs ago! I have contacted BT and they said I may have to pay £129 if the line was disconnected

Does it have to be a BT line? I think £129 is disgusting amount, specially as I would be a new customer to use their services and I didn't take the decision to switch from BT. So could anyone confirm that you can have Sky TV, BB and Sky Talk with a VM landline?

Many thanks!
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2007, 12:13   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Thinking of movingfrom VM to Sky do i have to change phoneline?

Yes. You do. VM's phone lines do not support ADSL.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:15   #3
Wilson
Inactive

Re: Thinking of moving from VM to Sky do i have to change phoneline?

Bugger! Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-11-2007, 13:15   #4
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

If the line is all still there can't you just get it reconnected for free as it wouldn't need an engineer out? Thats what i did. Be warned though as some of the operators said £125 to the mrs but free to me
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49   #5
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

I had same issue, no BT Line, To change i was quoted £125.00 for the line then £129.00 for sky box and installation, Decided to stay with NTL in the end. Cheaper option.
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 13:43   #6
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
If the line is all still there can't you just get it reconnected for free as it wouldn't need an engineer out? Thats what i did. Be warned though as some of the operators said £125 to the mrs but free to me
Same here... didn't pay a penny to have my BT phone line reconnected as there was already a junction box present when I moved in, and BT could enable everything remotely.

Also, Sky didn't charge me a penny as I was a new customer and I agreed to have my Sky box hooked-up to the phone line.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 15:39   #7
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

My bt line was just switched on - no charge. But they charge £129 for an install or if they have to touch the inside wiring when reconnecting.
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 14:00   #8
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

i ran sky connected via an NTL line for 2 years and had no problems, i know the sky contract i signed only said it needed to be connected to a WORKING telephone line not and ADSL compatable one, if this has changed what about people who dont live in an ADSL enabled area?

I went back to cable in january so i dont know how things have changed scince then though
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 23:46   #9
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Why not go for a loyalty deal?

e.g. M Broadband, XL TV & XL Phone £34.95 per month

Beats paying BT and moving to Sky?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22   #10
Wilson
Inactive

Question Re: Thinking of moving from VM to Sky do i have to change phoneline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Why not go for a loyalty deal?

e.g. M Broadband, XL TV & XL Phone £34.95 per month

Beats paying BT and moving to Sky?
Thanks for all your advice! I will be trying to negoitate a deal like that, but it's the Red button I want! And I don't think VM will be getting that any time soon.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:41   #11
mortakos
Inactive

mortakos is an unknown quantity at this point

You can call SKY and ask for a subsidiary deal. What that is, is they credit your new account with 125 pounds which is the cost for the BT line. Only thing you have to do is take all 3 (TV,BB,Phone) from SKY. That is what i did and now waiting to get connected and FINALLY GET RID OF VM's JOKE OF A SERVICE...
mortakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 13:49   #12
Wilson
Inactive

Wow! Is what you did? I thought Sky didn't do anything liek this. What about Sky+? Can a deal be done for that?! I know it's cheeky but you never know!
Old 13-11-2007, 16:52   #13
mortakos
Inactive

mortakos is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know. Didn't ask. I am not the bargaining kinda guy. Only thing that was bothering me was the ridiculous cost for the BT line installation and it was the only thing i did not fancy paying.
mortakos is offline   Reply With Quote