Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Old 19-10-2007, 01:05   #1
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of
Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Well, Ive been meaning to go on the Sky Anytime site for a while now, but couldnt be arsed, but boredom crept in tonight, and gave me the time to do so, so I did.

I thought to myself, I wanted to compare the two and see whats good and what the other side are getting. I know we shouldnt call Sky Anytime a VoD Service, but we have to let them have at least one god point, dont we?

So Ill get right to it:

Sky Anytime's Latest TV content is supplied by:

Boomerang (Part of Cartoon Network)
Disney Channel (Hmmm... I wonder...)
National Geographic Channel (FOX and BSkyB)
The History Channel (BSkyB and A&E Networks)
Sky One
Sky Arts
Sky Movies (not sure if its just previews)
Sky Sports

Not bad, really, is it? Although the last 6 are all Sky owned, and its pretty obvious they are going to offer their own stuff, and we already get Disney stuff anyways.

So, apart from the reliability, you could boast that you have the biggest and best selection of VoD programming available in the UK!

You know, we have some people who complain and all that, and yea, when it fails, complain, but when you look at those numbers up there, and look at how many content deals Virgin Media have, its not really a bad little Cable Network is it? And its still growing! (You have to wonder how far Sky's can grow, and if it will ever be available to those who have a normal box, or if Sky can even make a PROPER VoD service.)

Im not gloating about the content I have thanks to the Cable company... honest!

PS: You Sky folk reading this need to shell out at least £150 for a second rate PVR called Sky+ before you can get any of the above mentioned, whereas normal STBs can have it on this side.
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2007, 01:45   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post
PS: You Sky folk reading this need to shell out at least £150 for a second rate PVR called Sky+ before you can get any of the above mentioned, whereas normal STBs can have it on this side.
In my case it was VM's fault that I had to shell out £129.00 for my Sky+ box and installation because VM could not deliver a fit for the purpose DTV service. I kept the BB because it was solid, but alas it has gone the way of my DTV and nowadays browsing is like wading in treacle and I no longer see 10meg on my 20meg service during the day and only see 12-15meg at 02.00 in the morning. It seems to degrade slightly daily.

FYI. Sky Anytime is a complete and utter waste of HDD space as most of the content they see fit to lumber you with is stuff you cannot watch if you are not subscribed to that channel. The rest, well, if you were in the least interested you would have watched it when it was aired.

Thats my ONLY gripe about Sky+. Sky Anytime does not incur extra cost so is not a biggie although Sky do reserve 80 of the 160gig HDD for a service that to date I have not heard of any subscriber wanting.

As far as VOD on VM, from my experience of it, it is a great concept marred by dismal application. I found that it rarely worked. Content seemed to vary by the day. Catch-up TV was not updated for days on end then completely filled up and not updated again for more days on end.

Now as far as second rate PVR's are concerned my Sky+, in 3 or 4 months now, has, after a particularly violent storm, needed to be rebooted ONCE.
It has never needed a defrag.
It has never needed a reformat.
It is silent.
It has never lost a series link.
It has never made a corrupt recording.
In fact it just does what it says on the tin with a minimum of attention.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 03:11   #3
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
In my case it was VM's fault that I had to shell out £129.00 for my Sky+ box and installation because VM could not deliver a fit for the purpose DTV service. I kept the BB because it was solid, but alas it has gone the way of my DTV and nowadays browsing is like wading in treacle and I no longer see 10meg on my 20meg service during the day and only see 12-15meg at 02.00 in the morning. It seems to degrade slightly daily.

FYI. Sky Anytime is a complete and utter waste of HDD space as most of the content they see fit to lumber you with is stuff you cannot watch if you are not subscribed to that channel. The rest, well, if you were in the least interested you would have watched it when it was aired.

Thats my ONLY gripe about Sky+. Sky Anytime does not incur extra cost so is not a biggie although Sky do reserve 80 of the 160gig HDD for a service that to date I have not heard of any subscriber wanting.

As far as VOD on VM, from my experience of it, it is a great concept marred by dismal application. I found that it rarely worked. Content seemed to vary by the day. Catch-up TV was not updated for days on end then completely filled up and not updated again for more days on end.

Now as far as second rate PVR's are concerned my Sky+, in 3 or 4 months now, has, after a particularly violent storm, needed to be rebooted ONCE.
It has never needed a defrag.
It has never needed a reformat.
It is silent.
It has never lost a series link.
It has never made a corrupt recording.
In fact it just does what it says on the tin with a minimum of attention.
Give it 9 or 10 months.Only joking no sky+ is a great piece of kit the two years we had it we probably had about 11 failed recordings which isnt bad.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 10:19   #4
sprattgraham
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
sprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the rough

Sky Anytime is a total waist of time, bit like our box goes into standby to save power, no it doesn’t it downloads content at night so when the HDD isn’t normally on it is now.

Had Sky since 1998 gave up in July, Support is crap, Bill was always wrong had three Sky HD Boxes.

Had plenty of failed recordings with Sky HD funny I haven’t had any with the V+ yet.

Apart from some issues with Channel 5 it’s been ok.
sprattgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 15:45   #5
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprattgraham View Post
Sky Anytime is a total waist of time, bit like our box goes into standby to save power, no it doesn’t it downloads content at night so when the HDD isn’t normally on it is now.

Had Sky since 1998 gave up in July, Support is crap, Bill was always wrong had three Sky HD Boxes.

Had plenty of failed recordings with Sky HD funny I haven’t had any with the V+ yet.

Apart from some issues with Channel 5 it’s been ok.
I think it's early days for HD who ever you are with.

I have a decent LCD TV that enhances the SD PQ significantly. Of the little HD I have seen on friends I perceive very little difference. In any case it will do for me until such a time as there is very much more HD content available and the HD service does not attract a premium charge.

I won't mention the fact that their is little HD on VM to record with your V+. Oh dear I've said it.

Sorry couldn't resist. Just in fun.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 16:55   #6
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You Sky folk reading this need to shell out at least £150 for a second rate PVR called Sky+ before you can get any of the above mentioned, whereas normal STBs can have it on this side.
What - I paid £49 for mine installed. Currently they're offering it for £99 + £30 install but it'll come doen at Christmas.

Saying that my Sky+ works - DTV from Ntl never worked. When we gave them a second chance they couldn't get a working box in three weeks.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 17:36   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

If it's not Sky subscribers starting a ruck it's VM subscribers starting a ruck...

The phrase grow up springs to mind.As does give it a rest,put a sock in it and give it up...
Old 19-10-2007, 20:04   #8
grabbi
Inactive

grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
If it's not Sky subscribers starting a ruck it's VM subscribers starting a ruck...

The phrase grow up springs to mind.As does give it a rest,put a sock in it and give it up...

Would that be you saying the VM Subscriber, which must be me, is starting a ruck?

I didnt amake this for that reason at all!

All Im simply stating is that for all the complaining that people do about Virgin's VoD service, the biggest supplier of TV, being Sky, doesnt supply something that can even be close to what we would call VoD.

I soon have the intention of making a comparison between VM and BT Vision's offering too.

Although I may have been a little harsh on Sky's Sky+ service, Mr. Fisher below got it spot on by saying its "in the early days of HD, no matter who you are with" and its to my belief that Virgin decided to skip the PVR and go straight for a PVR/HD box.

Sure, Sky is gonna have its problems with the HD service, and that can be compared to the currentl problems that Virgin has with the V+ service. On paper, though, you have to say that Virgin should win that war too, even if once you try out both, the problems can be seen.

I cant believe, also that Sky will only allow you to record 40 Hours of programs if Anytime is used. Not really putting the customer in control.

On the other hand, the PC and Mobile offerings are very good, if its what I think it would be like, but I cant see it all being free or cheap, and then you have your GPRS charges and so forth.

The main focus was, though, on content, which shows Virgin lead the race.

Its quite obvious Sky have their bonus points, but instead of constant bombardment of Cable, let us have a little sunshine?
Old 19-10-2007, 21:14   #9
Alanmelon
Inactive

Alanmelon has reached the bronze age
Alanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Alanmelon

My Sky Anytime is bloody awful. All of the content is from channels I'm not subscribed to (cynical marketing ploy?) so I can't watch any of it. Just seems like a waste of electricity.
Alanmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 21:20   #10
grabbi
Inactive

I like your avatar... hehe...
Old 19-10-2007, 21:24   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I've only briefly used VM VOD before, when it was still ntl, back when I was in a cabled area.

Seemed quite good, & that was early on.

Sky Anytime... wast of HDD space IMO. I'd rather be able to use the entire capacity of my Sky HD box, than have some "reserved" for something I don't use.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 21:42   #12
fizgog
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD , VM Phone [XL], VM BB [M]
fizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanmelon View Post
My Sky Anytime is bloody awful. All of the content is from channels I'm not subscribed to (cynical marketing ploy?) so I can't watch any of it. Just seems like a waste of electricity.
As soon as my box upgraded to Anytime I turned it off so it wouldn't download programs that I couldn't watch.

Heres my OnDemand ratings

Virgin's VOD 8/10
Sky+ Anytime 0/10

Virgin would get 10/10 if the service worked all the time and yes I'm still a happy Sky+ Customer.
fizgog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 21:46   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Would that be you saying the VM Subscriber, which must be me, is starting a ruck?
Yep!And it won't be long before this descends into a VM v Sky thread.

Not that I really care I'm quite happy with VM on the whole..just bored about the constant comparisons being made with Sky.
Old 19-10-2007, 21:49   #14
grabbi
Inactive

It isnt a Virgin vs. Sky spat thread, just something to maybe help people, if thats what they want from a provider.
Old 19-10-2007, 23:12   #15
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I didnt amake this for that reason at all!

All Im simply stating is that for all the complaining that people do about Virgin's VoD service, the biggest supplier of TV, being Sky, doesnt supply something that can even be close to what we would call VoD.

I soon have the intention of making a comparison between VM and BT Vision's offering too.

Although I may have been a little harsh on Sky's Sky+ service, Mr. Fisher below got it spot on by saying its "in the early days of HD, no matter who you are with" and its to my belief that Virgin decided to skip the PVR and go straight for a PVR/HD box.

Sure, Sky is gonna have its problems with the HD service, and that can be compared to the currentl problems that Virgin has with the V+ service. On paper, though, you have to say that Virgin should win that war too, even if once you try out both, the problems can be seen.

I cant believe, also that Sky will only allow you to record 40 Hours of programs if Anytime is used. Not really putting the customer in control.

On the other hand, the PC and Mobile offerings are very good, if its what I think it would be like, but I cant see it all being free or cheap, and then you have your GPRS charges and so forth.

The main focus was, though, on content, which shows Virgin lead the race.

Its quite obvious Sky have their bonus points, but instead of constant bombardment of Cable, let us have a little sunshine?
Vm's offering seems to have more content than BTvision (well it seemed that way there was more on virgins that interested me anyway)

also virgins is free for catchup tv where as BT's isn't you have to either subscribe or pay per episode.

I have BTvision in the bedroom and i've not actually watched the VOD on it yet, I had a browse though and there was nothing i wanted to watch on there, The PVR side of it is quite good though.

Parents have VM cable and i've used their vod a couple of times I was hoping to catch Reddwarf series2 on my vision since i watched series1 on their VM vod but vision only had series1 last time i checked
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote