Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Season 2011/12

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Season 2011/12
Closed Thread

Old 30-08-2011, 11:52   #811
ChrisLUFC22
Inactive

Services: Sky Q
ChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to all
Re: Football Season 2011/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Apparently the Mertesacker deal is around £6/7 million. If true then it makes a mockery of Bolton's valuation of Cahill!
Not really. Players are always going to command a higher premium moving to clubs in the same league, don't ya think? Watching Sky Sports News this morning, it seems Arsene has hit "panic buy" - I don't think I have ever seen Arsenal do this.
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2011, 12:28   #812
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLUFC22 View Post
Not really. Players are always going to command a higher premium moving to clubs in the same league, don't ya think? Watching Sky Sports News this morning, it seems Arsene has hit "panic buy" - I don't think I have ever seen Arsenal do this.
There would be a premium but not that high. Bolton value Cahill at £17 million whereas this deal looks to be around £10 million. Nice bit of business there. I think Bolton overestimated the strength of their hand, as I mentioned previously there are many players of the Cahill class - Mertesacker being one - and he has one year left on his contract while Bolton are mired in debt. They better hope the deal fall through or Spurs/Liverpool match their valuation by the close of play tomorrow.

I don't think 'panic buy' is apt. The Korean striker has been in the workings since last week and we've been chasing a CB for a while now, if anything the insistence not to overpay for Cahill is an example of the club continuing to operate calmly and in character. Whereas the deal for the left-back Santos has also been on the cards as Traoré has just signed for QPR.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:33   #813
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Concrete moves faster than Mertesacker does.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:42   #814
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Which in my view is the only drawback. He is commanding, tall, excellent reading of the game and the direction of the ball and as a consequence of all that he is excellent at set-pieces. Not only that but is a pretty good and clean tackler.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:42   #815
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
John Terry isn't the fastest defender around ?

M'Vila deals dead. Samba deal is now supposedly back on. Elias in Turin via private jet.

Owen Hargreaves having medical at Man City.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:43   #816
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I would love to gloat at Arsenals thrashing by MU, but being a Spurs fan I'm keeping my head down.

What a weekend its been, Manchester 13 - North London 3.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:46   #817
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
John Terry isn't the fastest defender around ?

M'Vila deals dead. Samba deal is now supposedly back on. Elias in Turin via private jet.

Owen Hargreaves having medical at Man City.
Hope not. Don't see it happening if we get 'the Mert' either.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:51   #818
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hope not. Don't see it happening if we get 'the Mert' either.
Two CBs apparently incoming. I can see Wenger going over the quotes amount he stated in the press conference the only thing is Cahill should be having a medical!! Bolton will play hard ball but until when, the last minute or will they risk letting him leave for practicably nothing in January or as a free agent come end of the season.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:51   #819
ChrisLUFC22
Inactive

ChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to allChrisLUFC22 is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't think 'panic buy' is apt. The Korean striker has been in the workings since last week and we've been chasing a CB for a while now, if anything the insistence not to overpay for Cahill is an example of the club continuing to operate calmly and in character. Whereas the deal for the left-back Santos has also been on the cards as Traoré has just signed for QPR.
Ok, maybe not quite panic buy, but it does seem Arsenal are being linked with everybody in a desperate attempt that something comes to fruition. Linked with Benayoun, but if I were an Arsenal fan, I'd be thinking "if he ain't good enough for Chelsea.."
As for Mertesacker's lack of pace, well they will pair him with probably the finest defender in the league in Vermaelen so shouldn't be a problem.
That Santos could be a good signing, experienced (well, compared to Jenkinson ) and apparently able to cope with the physical demands of Prem.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:53   #820
thenry
Inactive

Probably smoke screens.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:56   #821
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLUFC22 View Post
Ok, maybe not quite panic buy, but it does seem Arsenal are being linked with everybody in a desperate attempt that something comes to fruition. Linked with Benayoun, but if I were an Arsenal fan, I'd be thinking "if he ain't good enough for Chelsea.."
Yes I don't like Benayoun. However I think it's best to ignore rumours of signings until they seem more realistic.

Quote:
As for Mertesacker's lack of pace, well they will pair him with probably the finest defender in the league in Vermaelen so shouldn't be a problem.
I agree. He is big, strong and a quality defender. Great signing (if it happens). Also means we have Koscienly has pretty decent back up!

Quote:
That Santos could be a good signing, experienced (well, compared to Jenkinson ) and apparently able to cope with the physical demands of Prem.
Haven't seen him. Hope he is good and first choice as I don't rate Gibbs that much.
Old 30-08-2011, 13:04   #822
ChrisLUFC22
Inactive

Anyway, of far more importance, it appears "Mad" Max Gradel is in "advanced talks" with Sochaux

http://www1.skysports.com/football/teams/leedsunited
Old 30-08-2011, 13:05   #823
thenry
Inactive

Joe Cole in talks with Lille
Old 30-08-2011, 13:16   #824
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Can someone explain why City are signing Hargreaves, apart from winding up United fans?
Old 30-08-2011, 13:20   #825
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
Can someone explain why City are signing Hargreaves, apart from winding up United fans?
Mancini loves defensive players, he was annoyed after the Tottenham game because they conceded a goal. He's going all out this season. To be honest I'm not surprised he's signed him just for the sake of an extra body.

Another bid for Cahill from Arsenal has been rejected.
Closed Thread