Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 23:06   #106
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

Its ok for the deal with Sky. But, VM don't put these extra channels on. I think VM should carry all channels that Sky have.

Its like Sky are going to do channels without the need for a dish. Similar to Cable.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2017, 23:19   #107
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Cable doesn't currently have the capacity for broadcast that Satellite does.

That could change if the fibre went straight to the set top box - and they start using more than just 1550nm. They could carry multiple separate RF spectrums on multiple wavelengths (in theory).

Or, it could work like satellite. In an RFog area, the cable box could send tones of 22 - 25khz to the ONT outside the house which would then selectively pass the chosen wavelength back to RF (e.g. 1560, 1570, 1580nm). Each one could carry a separate block of spectrum from 45Mhz - 1.2GHz (for example)

That possibility might be used instead for node splitting, however.

Last edited by Onramp; 01-02-2017 at 23:23.
Old 01-02-2017, 23:58   #108
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Its ok for the deal with Sky. But, VM don't put these extra channels on. I think VM should carry all channels that Sky have.

Its like Sky are going to do channels without the need for a dish. Similar to Cable.
No Arthur it's nothing like cable. The reason for no dish is that they will provide the channels over the Internet.
Old 02-02-2017, 00:16   #109
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post

It'll be nothing like cabletv although i can see why you thought it would.
It will be more like bt,plusnet and talktalk method of delivering tv via broadband.
Wether or nit Sky will use multicast like bt,plusnet and talktalk do is unknown at this time.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:26   #110
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
No Arthur it's nothing like cable. The reason for no dish is that they will provide the channels over the Internet.
That's right, but surely, VM could do that as well, couldn't they? What problems might there be with this?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:54   #111
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Depending on how many people are watching any given channel on any given fibre node, the rest of the bandwidth available would fluctuate. This will probably happen (is happening?) eventually.

At the moment it's simpler to spray every channel down every fibre simultaneously (with the exception of some on-demand stuff).

The channels are already delivered via multicast from the super headend on the vm backbone, it's just the regional headends (as far as I know) that are streaming these channels via IP multicast with receivers there (at the regional headend) - and then modulate them all to RF channels in groups for transmission to all the nodes simultaneously.

In theory if nobody is watching a particular channel on a particular node, that RF frequency could be used for data instead until one of the subscribers tunes back into it for TV purposes. There would be similar ways of doing this also (but over DOCSIS) but you probably don't gain a huge amount.

The more segmented the network, the more you could get away with reusing TV bandwidth for data (even if that data is for streaming a particular channel over multicast temporarily) depending on who's looking.

Last edited by Onramp; 02-02-2017 at 08:00.
Old 02-02-2017, 15:03   #112
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

AIUI the extra PBS programming will be shown on the linear channel.

I've not seen anything to suggest that it will be via VOD, the only mention of this is in relation to the Discovery channel itself.

Have I missed something?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:36   #113
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
AIUI the extra PBS programming will be shown on the linear channel.

I've not seen anything to suggest that it will be via VOD, the only mention of this is in relation to the Discovery channel itself.

Have I missed something?
The details of the agreement with PBS have not been revealed at this stage. We don't know whether there will be extra channels, more on demand or whether the nature of programming on the one channel will be changed. However, the fact that Sky had contingency plans to replace the Discovery channels with PBS leads me to believe that perhaps additional channels were envisaged to give the impression that Sky viewers hadn't lost out.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:41   #114
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

You do like a conspiracy don't you Old Boy , I'm pretty sure it will just be PBS content they show on linear made available also via On Demand.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:17   #115
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You do like a conspiracy don't you Old Boy , I'm pretty sure it will just be PBS content they show on linear made available also via On Demand.
Perhaps he has learnt from you.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:54   #116
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not a conspiracy, MM, just a straight forward proposition. It's certainly what I would have been aiming for if I were in charge of these arrangements at Sky. It is easier to meet complaints about channels no longer being available to your subscribers by saying, look - you've got these replacement channels instead, and this has avoided a price rise.

I do think there would still have remained some discontent with the loss of Eurosport, though.
Old 09-02-2017, 21:02   #117
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Thumbs down Re: Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The details of the agreement with PBS have not been revealed at this stage. We don't know whether there will be extra channels, more on demand or whether the nature of programming on the one channel will be changed. However, the fact that Sky had contingency plans to replace the Discovery channels with PBS leads me to believe that perhaps additional channels were envisaged to give the impression that Sky viewers hadn't lost out.
Richard Kingsbury, "Boss of PBS America" as he describes himself, has stated on Twitter "fear not, we've just offered Sky some on demand content. We are still a free to air channel".

Perhaps this means that the new VOD content will indeed be only on Sky??

I can't see a channel with such limited funds not showing the content in linear form too though.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:50   #118
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Richard Kingsbury, "Boss of PBS America" as he describes himself, has stated on Twitter "fear not, we've just offered Sky some on demand content. We are still a free to air channel".

Perhaps this means that the new VOD content will indeed be only on Sky??

I can't see a channel with such limited funds not showing the content in linear form too though.
Well, that's certainly one of the possibilities, but I still go back to how Sky would have responded to angry customers who complained about the loss of Discovery channels, had that happened. I don't think increasing on demand material would have cut it, quite honestly - currently, too many people remain wedded to their familiar 'channels' and it will take a little time before on demand content actually replaces those channels in a big way. The trend towards exclusive on demand content via Sky, Virgin and other cablecos has already started, of course, but it still has a long way to go before the general public mindset changes.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:43   #119
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, that's certainly one of the possibilities, but I still go back to how Sky would have responded to angry customers who complained about the loss of Discovery channels, had that happened. I don't think increasing on demand material would have cut it, quite honestly - currently, too many people remain wedded to their familiar 'channels' and it will take a little time before on demand content actually replaces those channels in a big way. The trend towards exclusive on demand content via Sky, Virgin and other cablecos has already started, of course, but it still has a long way to go before the general public mindset changes.

So l gather that is a big majority of the general public mindset l gather you are talking about OB?.

Last edited by denphone; 10-02-2017 at 09:22.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:48   #120
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So l gather that is a big majority of the general public mindset l gather you are talking about OB?.
I've never, at any time, stated that we are ready to give up on broadcast channels at this stage, Den. I've been talking about the likely media landscape in 10 to 20 years' time.

However, the first signs of change are already there. The steady increase in the use of on demand services, the on demand VM exclusives, the embracing of on demand alternatives by Sky, the conversion from a broadcast linear channel to on demand only of BBC3, the sheer number of original new series on Netflix and Amazon and the rapid increase in subscriptions to those services - and the list goes on. This is just the beginning of the beginning of a massive change that will be hitting us over the coming years as viewer behaviour changes.

But in this particular case, Den, if I were Sky, I'd want to replace like for like as far as possible to head off the customer grumpiness that always results when you take things away.
Closed Thread