Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Old 01-12-2011, 21:59   #211
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcampbell View Post
It's a sports channel so VM will give it more priority, while fans of good drama are ignored.
There are loads of channels with drama on them, but there will only be one F1 channel.

I'm half expecting Sky to hold it back from VM for a while in order to try and win customers from VM.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2011, 22:31   #212
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post

I'm half expecting Sky to hold it back from VM for a while in order to try and win customers from VM.
I doubt it going by what i have read. Ofcom would get involved if that happened
Quote:
Just to put you in the picture...

VM have already been in talks with Sky over the new F1 channel

Yes they should be carrying it when it starts in March 2012

It will be at no extra cost because it will be included in the sports package

As for the HD version of the channel we are very confident that that this will also be on the VM platform

Once I get any further information I will let you all know, but for now please don't go asking any other questions, because this is as much as I can tell you for now
http://vmhd.blogspot.com/2011/11/sky...ns-emerge.html

Sky Sports F1 is not the same as Sky Atlantic.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35335695-post93.html

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

I can see the price of Sky Sports price going up £3+ in September for both Sky and Virgin Media.

Mainly because of the Sky price freeze will end and Sky Sports F1.
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 22:36   #213
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
I doubt it going by what i have read. Ofcom would get involved if that happened
I doubt ofcom could or would do anything about it. It's business pure and simple. Sky don't give as good a service as VM, and they are more expensive. So they simply hold channels back from VM so that they have an advantage over them, just as they have done with other channels including Atlantic.
Old 01-12-2011, 22:52   #214
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
channels including Atlantic.
What has Sky Atlantic got to do with this ?

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

Also this
Quote:
Ofcom’s remedy covers Sky Sports 1 and 2 as these are the channels that make a material contribution to Sky’s market power. Ofcom recognises that a potential response to the remedy from Sky could be to attempt to undermine it by shifting content onto channels not covered by the remedy. If Sky was to do this to any material extent, Ofcom would review the remedy and would consider extending it to include the relevant channels. This would not require a protracted process, since the substantive issues would be the same as those on which Ofcom has concluded in today’s statement.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/0...its-in-pay-tv/

Also F1's sponsors need for viewers. So Sky have to make this work.

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Now is the time for the BBC to renegotiate the lisence fee, either it should be rasied massively and cover computers as well
100% do not agree. Why should it increase massively ?

You must have lots of money.
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:00   #215
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
What has Sky Atlantic got to do with this ?
Because it's yet another channel that sky won't let VM have so that they have an advantage over them.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:35   #216
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The BBC are starting to look like a third rate provider of sport and l fear in another 6 years they will have even less.
they might as well shut down BBC Sports completly at this rate!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:09   #217
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

I expect in 6 years the BBC will be worse than ITV is now. Probably not, but selling parts of it off piecemeal seems like a death knell to me.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:11   #218
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
I expect in 6 years the BBC will be worse than ITV is now. Probably not, but selling parts of it off piecemeal seems like a death knell to me.
Oh No!!!

The only decent channel left will Channel 4 (and associated channels)
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:30   #219
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully by then there will be more HD channels and better content overall (i.e. more US shows, there are quite a few good ones running right now that aren't on UK TV regularly) so no-one will mind.

Personally I think they'd do well to cancel Doctor Who to save some money, but I'm in the minority there. Love most sci-fi, hate that one.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:47   #220
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I doubt ofcom could or would do anything about it. It's business pure and simple. Sky don't give as good a service as VM,
In your opinion which you are rightly entitled to however I'm afraid my opinion differs.

Quote:
and they are more expensive.
My package costs me less with Sky.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 15:29   #221
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In your opinion which you are rightly entitled to however I'm afraid my opinion differs.

Yes master.
Old 02-12-2011, 15:39   #222
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Hopefully by then there will be more HD channels and better content overall (i.e. more US shows, there are quite a few good ones running right now that aren't on UK TV regularly) so no-one will mind.

Personally I think they'd do well to cancel Doctor Who to save some money, but I'm in the minority there. Love most sci-fi, hate that one.
The two statements highlighted are a contradiction.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote:
I'm not talking about customer service, because VM are terrible at that.

Quote:
My package costs me less with Sky.
Well I'm saving £70 per month by moving the whole lot to VM
Old 02-12-2011, 15:56   #223
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm not talking about customer service, because VM are terrible at that.
I wasn't talking about customer service , I was meaning the service as a whole. Whats good for one won't always be for another , VM has a fine offering on that I agree.

Quote:
Well I'm saving £70 per month by moving the whole lot to
Well the decision was an easy one for you then , But my package costs me less than with VM , Sky is the cheaper option for some for others it's VM.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 16:01   #224
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Well the decision was an easy one for you then , But my package costs me less than with VM , Sky is the cheaper option for some for others it's VM.
Exactly.
Old 02-12-2011, 16:21   #225
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I wasn't talking about customer service , I was meaning the service as a whole. Whats good for one won't always be for another , VM has a fine offering on that I agree.
Well I haven't had to call Sky CS very often. And I have just got off the phone from complaining about VM CS. But as I have said many times before, VM is brilliant when it is working (which it does most of the time), but when it doesn't you have a nightmare with CS.

Quote:
Obviously I don't know your exact package, but in my experience, and from other people I have spoken to, VM are usually far cheaper. And when they aren't you can usually call them and make a few tweaks to your package, and often get a big reduction.