Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Old 10-08-2011, 23:07   #106
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

I think some caution is required here in terms of what one might expect by way of reduced contention.

VM's residential claim for the 10 meg residential service is 9.66 Mbps; for the business service it is 8.7 Mbps. That would be over common infrastructure with QoS implemented. So, caution there.

So, when thinking of going for Business Broadband (which I'm doing), you must ask VM to tell you what speed YOU can expect and then ask them to justify that.

Other parts of VM's business web site led me to raise an eyebrow or two.

1/
"Help is always on hand - a 24/7 FreePhone (0800) number gets you through to our dedicated Business Support Team, reassuringly based here in the UK."

You can draw yor own conclusions about VM's realisation of how customers feel about Indian call centres, yet do nothing about it.

2/"
Virgin Media Business uses 21st-Century fibre optic cable to deliver broadband, not last-century copper wires, (sometimes the last few metres may be a coaxial depending on the location of the premises being supplied).
"

I seriously doubt the truth of this "21st-Century" claim. What about all the areas cabled up in the 1980s and 1990s? VM would be replacing the 1980s stuff, but the 1990s fibre? I also feel that one could be led to believe that in most cases it'll be fibre to the home. There is no other way one could interpret that paragraph unless fairly savvy about such matters. Or is it fibre to the business?

Anyway, I'll see what VM have to say about their 50 meg business service; I'll make the right challenges and hope to come away with a good feeling. But this is more in hope than expectation.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04   #107
Mr_Moo
Inactive

Mr_Moo is on a distinguished roadMr_Moo is on a distinguished road

Sep, VM Business departments are all in the UK. You will NEVER speak to someone in India.
Mr_Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26   #108
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Mr Moo (I like the handle),

I was amused by the "reassuringly based here in the UK" phrase. The domestic broadband users would take that as an acknowledgement by VM that there was something "unreassuring" about the offshore support team. The domestic users would also like to be "reassured", don't you think?

Cheers

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03   #109
Mr_Moo
Inactive

Mr_Moo is on a distinguished roadMr_Moo is on a distinguished road

Totally agree. Although, from reading other peoples posts on the VM forum, there is NOTHING reassuring about speaking to someone in India.

And thanks =)
Mr_Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:26   #110
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Also the off-shore support don't call you back the day after the fault just to make sure that everything is fully sorted and that I'm happy that the fault is now fixed. In fact just like the phone call I've had.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:35   #111
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Wonder if I could sue them when I sign up for "21st-Century fibre optic cable to deliver broadband, not last-century copper wires" and come install day the installer fits... guess what, a last -century copper wire to my property.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 21:18   #112
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I doubt though that the cable was made last century
Old 12-08-2011, 22:13   #113
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Really? Because as far as I'm aware the vast majority of the cable network(s) were laid before 2000...
Old 12-08-2011, 22:18   #114
Kymmy
Inactive

I always count last century as 100-199 years old..
Old 13-08-2011, 02:24   #115
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Hmm. I've always understood last century as the previous century to this one... 21st century, 20th century, etc. Same as I consider last year to be 2010, not the last 365 days. Apparently that's the standard in the English language.
Old 13-08-2011, 08:52   #116
Kymmy
Inactive

It probably is.. As I said though when people say last century I always think of 100+ years ago.. perhaps it's living 32 years in the 20th century has ingrained last century as the 19th century..

Old 16-08-2011, 14:03   #117
dbeyzade
Inactive

dbeyzade is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

New here. Have spoken to them available, still not be available, but should be very very soon.

No 100MB available though only 50MB. Seems silly home users will be able to get faster speed than business users.

I guess they don't want to compete with their 100MB UP & DOWN fibre offering at £500+ a month!

Daniel
dbeyzade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 17:06   #118
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

So we are half way through September and still no sign of the new options being available from VM Business.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 13:29   #119
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Just spoke to business sales - they are saying they now have no dates for the new services and no information on the delays.

Given the current business servcies significant;y lag behind the residential ones and they flatly refuse to offer fixed IP on the current 20 Mb/s service it maybe time to call it a day with VM Business.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 13:37   #120
mikeey2
Inactive

mikeey2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also give up waiting from a response from the Sales team, just a shame BT infinity does not cover the two offices that Virgin cover.
mikeey2 is offline   Reply With Quote