Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Critical(3) StartedUnicast MaintenanceRanging -No Response received Every 10 Mins!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

when and how to cancel services with Virgin

Old 08-07-2008, 21:08   #1
mrk2y
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+
mrk2y is an unknown quantity at this point
when and how to cancel services with Virgin

Hi
I joined Virgin in Feb, at 1st I only took the TV service (xl pack with V+ and a spare box), when my services expired with BT I added on the phone and broadband service (in april)

I think I am now on what they call triple XL (i dont have the premium services)

At first I was more than happy
but then things started to go from bad to worse with my broadband,
I was getting between 18 - 19 MB (more than happy)

Over the last couple of months, every day I have problems, sometimes no connection, others speeds as slow as 56KBs - yea dial up speeds !

After numerous calls to tecnical help, (unplug, reboot etc etc) they sent an enginerer, he tested the levels and they were very very low. He removed a 12db resistrr from the greay box outside on the wall and all was well - he mentioned that in the summer they turn down the amps in the green boxes, hence i didnt need the 12db resistor

All worked ok for a week then the problems started
(repeat the above)
I am now told that they are doing some work in my area until october 2008 (i am in the IP4 area - Ipswich)

This is un acceptable !
I am "paying" for a upto 20mb service and only getting under 1 at times

Can I cancel the phone and bb - keep the phone
I get conflicting reports, some say I am in contract ONLY on the TV, some say I am held to contract from April

Any body got any ideas ?

Thank you
mrk2y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2008, 08:32   #2
mrk2y
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+
mrk2y is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: when and how to cancel services with Virgin

This is the result I have this morning
Date09/07/08 08:22:16Speed Down2067.95 Kbps ( 2 Mbps )Speed Up695.18 Kbps ( 0.7 Mbps )Port8095Serverspeedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

for a 20MB services !!!!

just done a test on broadband max.co.uk I get :
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/res...1916&v=4618698
download 197KBS !!! (24.6kb/s)
upload 259KBS (32.4kb/s)
mrk2y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:26   #3
Berealwith
Inactive

Berealwith is on a distinguished roadBerealwith is on a distinguished road

The best bet is to ring customer services up and have a chat with them. From your posts above it looks like unless i read it wrong your not too sure what package your on. Chat to them a get an understanding what your on and if you cancel bits from it how it will affect what you pay.
I have been down this route and gave virgin chance after chance and in the end left.
You will have to take modem stats, and a whole lot more imformation, but it could all be down to your ubr needing an upgrade. I used virgins newsgroups tech help i found that inconjuction with many phone calls the best way.

but you may not like what answers you get back so be prepared to either shut up(no offence) or leave cable.
Berealwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 17:45   #4
mike24
Inactive

Services: super hub 2, 50Mbps, TiVo 500MB Tv, phone
mike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enoughmike24 will become famous soon enough

I hope this is the right thread!!
I have just found out that i thought i had TV(basic) & 20Mbps, but due to their joining 2 DD to one i have TV(basic) & 2Mbps.
I have been paying £36 but this has increased to over £40+.
As you can understand i will be cancelling my services tomorrow i don't like to be ripped of and shall be going over to BT.
A VERY ANGERY, to be ex customer, i have been a customer for many years, & will not put up with this company's attitude!!!!!!!!!!
mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 18:35   #5
sstainer
Inactive

Services: VIP package
sstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to sstainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24 View Post
I hope this is the right thread!!
I have just found out that i thought i had TV(basic) & 20Mbps, but due to their joining 2 DD to one i have TV(basic) & 2Mbps.
I have been paying £36 but this has increased to over £40+.
As you can understand i will be cancelling my services tomorrow i don't like to be ripped of and shall be going over to BT.
A VERY ANGERY, to be ex customer, i have been a customer for many years, & will not put up with this company's attitude!!!!!!!!!!
have you spoke to virgin about this matter, maybe it was a mistake easily rectified i expect, with no doubt a refund on any services wrongly charged for too. worth a go first before you tell them to beat it so to speak
maybe try the newsgroups if get no where with people on phone

Extra:
maybe write to virgin at their swansea address send a complaint in ushally ok most of the time something will be done anyways worth trying for the solution first in case they have made an honest mistake
sstainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 18:45   #6
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

AFAIK the people on the newgroups can only help with technical issues (and are very efficient at doing so) but for security reasons they can't deal with accouting/billing issues - that has to be done over the phone.

You can terminate your contract early if you can prove Virgin Media are in breach of it, however your best bet is to follow sstainer's advice.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 14:42   #7
ditch_virgin
Inactive

ditch_virgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally managed to get a line with BT after theyre system has been down for 5 days.& hopefully get my BE unlimited ADSL up & running within 1-3 weeks
BT are doing a reconnection deal of £30 (18 month contract) till sept,which sucks but is better than £125.The usual fee.
Virgin are scumbags & way i see it are committing suicide with the new day time throttling & big brother attitude.They have throttled me again today,(about 11am)
Sooner I get BE the better!
Feck VIRGIN!
ditch_virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 15:43   #8
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_virgin View Post
Finally managed to get a line with BT after theyre system has been down for 5 days.& hopefully get my BE unlimited ADSL up & running within 1-3 weeks
BT are doing a reconnection deal of £30 (18 month contract) till sept,which sucks but is better than £125.The usual fee.
Virgin are scumbags & way i see it are committing suicide with the new day time throttling & big brother attitude.They have throttled me again today,(about 11am)
Sooner I get BE the better!
Feck VIRGIN!
Such a fast service! 3 weeks to get connected.

I do hope you have remembered to read the small print in your contract because virtually all companies have to go down the same route in order to provide a service.

Also remember unless your next door to the BT exchange, their very attractive up to 24mbps speed quotes are nothing but hype, which is something all broadband companies do.
Old 14-07-2008, 15:58   #9
EvilRoySlade
Inactive

EvilRoySlade is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem. Believe it or not it was my PC. Had to reload Windows and hey presto, back at 20Mb.
EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:15   #10
ditch_virgin
Inactive

ditch_virgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
Such a fast service! 3 weeks to get connected.

I do hope you have remembered to read the small print in your contract because virtually all companies have to go down the same route in order to provide a service.

Also remember unless your next door to the BT exchange, their very attractive up to 24mbps speed quotes are nothing but hype, which is something all broadband companies do.
Yes we all know about exchanges & how long it takes to connect...which is why ive been with cable for 9 years
End of the day im not going to sit back any longer,while Virgin rip me off for a 20mbit service im supposed to be getting.
Think your find most on Be are very happy with what they are getting,compared with the Virgin cable monopoly.
ditch_virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 17:26   #11
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_virgin View Post
Yes we all know about exchanges & how long it takes to connect...which is why ive been with cable for 9 years
End of the day im not going to sit back any longer,while Virgin rip me off for a 20mbit service im supposed to be getting.
Think your find most on Be are very happy with what they are getting,compared with the Virgin cable monopoly.
I do mean its quick connection sometimes BE's a bit slow.

I have never had any major problems with Virgin and the BT exchange is to far for a decent connection, so I will stay with Virgin, best of luck with BE.