Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which router

Old 05-08-2007, 15:08   #1
ironfenix
Inactive

Services: 2.0mb Virgin Media Broadband
ironfenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Which router

Which router would you all suggest for a virgin media 2mb connection for two computers one downstairs one upstairs and the computer upstairs for playing online games?

Ive been looking towards linksy and belkin but im not sure what speed router i would need to allow fast gaming on the pc upstairs.

Any help would be aprechiated thanks
ironfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2007, 15:16   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Which router

Are you looking at wired or wireless connections? Wired (using ethernet) can be more reliable, and most PCs will already have the ethernet port built in.

Wireless may be OK, provided you get at the "g" speed or if you are buying new "n", but few onboard cards are "n" compatible. However local interference, the number of walls, distance from the router can all affect the connection.

A key point to note is that with most gaming a low ping is essential. Anyone else using the PC, especially if they start to download something, can kill your gaming connection.

Most routers you can obtain today will be suitable. The Linksys WRT54G series are quite liked - perhaps look for the Linux version WRT54GL that is designed to accept firmware updated from third parties for extra versatility.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 15:18   #3
ironfenix
Inactive

hmm i was hoping for wireless sorry forogot to say that and there is two walls from the downstairs pc and the upstairs pc there at oppisate ends of the house.

As for networks cards i have non atm built in. i was looking at the usb network ones? do these work at the same speeds or not?
Old 05-08-2007, 15:19   #4
thechojin
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media,TV XL,Phone,20Mb BBi Sky+,BT
thechojin is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look here lets you know about the WAN to LAN and the LAN to WAN plus some other bits and bobs

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/

EDIT

I will also help if look at a bit of future proofing as speeds get quicker you will want something that will last as with 50Mb and 100Mb speeds have been tested and work.
thechojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 16:33   #5
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

I have a US Robotics USR 5461 router - and as I'm typing this, I'm sitting just outside my upstairs flat, watching Tigger prowling around the yard, scent-marking (I think our neighbours' cats have been around again - she hates them!); on line-of-sight between my laptop and the router, there is a concrete floor and an outside wall. Signal strength is low, it's true (and not surprising), but I'm still online.

It cost a bit more than the Belkin or Linksys equivalent, but as it provides a) online firmware upgrades and b) a built-in firewall, I figure it's well worth it. I'd definitely advise getting a router with a hardware firewall in any case, because in conjunction with a software firewall and network encryption, it'll make your network as secure as home networks ever get.

And yes, you should secure your network; it's surprising how powerful some wireless cards can be - mine is currently detecting four wireless networks apart from my own, only one of which is secured!
Old 06-08-2007, 14:22   #6
ironfenix
Inactive

so do i want a "G" standard 54mbps router with build in security and i was planning on securing it anyway no ones stealing my internet! lol
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35   #7
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

Instock at PC World on the retail park on off the A66

There's also that little computer shop of Northgate if i remember correctly ?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:02   #8
londoner_1
Inactive

londoner_1 can only hope to improve

Best router for cable dsl.

Buffalo WHR HP G541

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/97222

At only £36 cheap and after flashing with ddwrt firmware its a beast, increased signal strength, fast wireless speed, url/key word filtering, etc.

Highly Recommended.
londoner_1 is offline   Reply With Quote