Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changing Package Online?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Modem stopped working

Old 27-03-2012, 00:38   #1
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Modem stopped working

A few days ago, my internet went all funny and certain websites that I went on kept taking me to the Virgin Broadband activation page and kept trying to reboot my superhub.

Now the internet doesn't work at all and the upload/download light on the modem is just flickering.

I've rebooted it and reset it so many times and then called technical support who are sending out a technician, however, is there a way of resolving this without the need of a visit?

The person on the phone said his system was down and didn't really take much notice of what I was saying and then told me to reboot it once again, it didn't work, and then booked a technician for tomorow.

I really don't want them to come out for something that can be easily fixed by myself!
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2012, 03:22   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Modem stopped working

sounds a bit dodgy, let the tech come out to you. Ask him to double check your power levels before he leaves.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 06:43   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

That issue should have been resolved by 2nd line while on the phone but considering that the Albert Dock 2nd line are now all but gone and their replacements are well below par this kind of thing will happen much more often as technicians are sent out to fix issues that they are unable to fix.

It is very likely that any replacement device could end up in exactly the same situation as your existing device.

As of this Friday you will be left with just the Swansea 1st line and 2nd line so everyone should expect the service levels to drop, you think that support has gotten worse you have seen nothing yet.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:12   #4
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Thankyou

Actually it was an offshore call centre because I rang around 10pm. Someone is coming out today anyway.
Old 27-03-2012, 18:54   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Thankyou

Actually it was an offshore call centre because I rang around 10pm. Someone is coming out today anyway.
It should have been resolved while on the call not by sending an engineer out to replace the modem, seen enough of them in my time.
Old 27-03-2012, 19:13   #6
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

whats gone wrong here?
Old 27-03-2012, 19:45   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
whats gone wrong here?
It will be a provisioning issue which can be resolved on a call either by the agent or 2nd line, a tech is a waste of resources.
Old 28-03-2012, 20:12   #8
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
It will be a provisioning issue which can be resolved on a call either by the agent or 2nd line, a tech is a waste of resources.
Well i'm really annoyed, nobody turned up and I learn they have charged me £10 for 'no one home' when I was in all day, didn't even go to the shops, bought cigarettes in advance for the occasion and everything so there was no excuse to go out haha

I'm gonna call them for the third time.

Provisioning for what reason? My broadband was installed as part of a home move installation but with a new modem in June 2011. I really don't understand what went wrong here.

I'm using a neighbours Virgin Media wifi connection at the moment and is working fine so it is not a local issue.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Quote:
sounds a bit dodgy, let the tech come out to you. Ask him to double check your power levels before he leaves.
Power levels? I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to Broadband, do you mean the level of power in the CATV coax wire coming into the property? As it is serving a Tivo box,V HD box in another room and obviously my Virgin Broadband netgear hub. Or do you mean the dodgy electrics in my house?

Sorry if it's a stupid question
Old 28-03-2012, 20:19   #9
thenry
Inactive

Peter could you explain provisioning please.

yeah power coming through the VM cable.
Old 28-03-2012, 20:26   #10
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

you need to question the '£10 nobody in charge' as this was dropped some months ago due to the negative affect on the NPS responses

when a new device is connected to the network and needs releasing from the 'walled garden', (which is where new devices get directed to) they need to be verified and 'provisioned',sounds like an account problem and your device reverted to 'new device' status,as has been said before a call can resolve this issue,no need for a tech visit!
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 20:39   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Well i'm really annoyed, nobody turned up and I learn they have charged me £10 for 'no one home' when I was in all day, didn't even go to the shops, bought cigarettes in advance for the occasion and everything so there was no excuse to go out haha
The is no such thing as a £10 charge as it was dropped in December 2011 and the post above explains provisioning.
Old 28-03-2012, 20:53   #12
thenry
Inactive

and this happens often? whats the cause?
Old 28-03-2012, 21:01   #13
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
The is no such thing as a £10 charge as it was dropped in December 2011 and the post above explains provisioning.
So why did they tell me i've been charged £10!

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
you need to question the '£10 nobody in charge' as this was dropped some months ago due to the negative affect on the NPS responses

when a new device is connected to the network and needs releasing from the 'walled garden', (which is where new devices get directed to) they need to be verified and 'provisioned',sounds like an account problem and your device reverted to 'new device' status,as has been said before a call can resolve this issue,no need for a tech visit!
Thanks, finally some common sense!
Old 28-03-2012, 21:08   #14
thenry
Inactive

speak to 'thinking of leaving' tomorrow during the day
Old 28-03-2012, 21:19   #15
m419
Inactive

Quote:
speak to 'thinking of leaving' tomorrow during the day
Ok thanks